Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 V92C. Original owner. 14K on it. He did the normal factory recalls.
Transmission is stock and nothing was replaced on it.
Bike is pretty much mint condition. Owned by an older guy who didn't beat on the bike at all.
The original owner had NO IDEA that there were potential transmission problems with his bike. He told me it was very dependable and he never had an issue with it other than a speedometer issue. He is very motivated to sell it because of illness. He can't ride anymore. Also.. he was pretty clear that he isn't selling it because he needs money although he would entertain an offer. He is asking $3200 for it.
So.... should I make him an offer? If so... am I almost guaranteed to have a problem soon?
I am trying to figure out if the 1999-2000 V92C is one of those Internet Witch Hunt bikes. I had a Harley that was one. It appeared the only owners that were very concerned about their bikes or who had problems with them or who addressed the issues BEFORE they happened were the ones who were online and found out about them. The dealership never told me. I called several and I honestly believe they didn't know about these internet well documented issues. Is this the same thing with the first year V92C. Could there be 10's of thousands of perfectly running bikes with no transmission problems owned by riders who don't frequent the internet or the Victory Forums and the only ones we know about are part of the "internet witch hunt"?? Please let me know. I have to make a decision. I like the bike. I just don't want to buy a problem waiting to happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I'd steer clear.
That's what I figured. Wow.. too bad for the 1999-2000 V92C owners who have original transmissions! A quick search on the internet just about guarantees you aren't going to be able to sell your bike.
I was thinking about offering him $1000 for it and see if he takes it. It has 14K on it and I only ride 4K a year so maybe I would get 2+ years out of it. I also don't ride hard so redline shifting would never be in the cards. I am sure this guy babied the bike too. That's probably why he never had a problem with the tranny I guess...

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
That's what I figured. Wow.. too bad for the 1999-2000 V92C owners who have original transmissions! A quick search on the internet just about guarantees you aren't going to be able to sell your bike.
I was thinking about offering him $1000 for it and see if he takes it. It has 14K on it and I only ride 4K a year so maybe I would get 2+ years out of it. I also don't ride hard so redline shifting would never be in the cards. I am sure this guy babied the bike too. That's probably why he never had a problem with the tranny I guess...
If you can get it cheap, you could ride it for however long it lasts. Then do an engine swap.Since it currently runs fine, you can patiently wait to find a good deal on a newer engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you can get it cheap, you could ride it for however long it lasts. Then do an engine swap.Since it currently runs fine, you can patiently wait to find a good deal on a newer engine.
I bought a 2000 V92SC for $800 because it had a blown transmission. I found an eBay "Freedom" motor for $900. I haven't done the swap just yet, but I know I'll have a reliable bike when I'm done for a minimal investment.
I also have two 1999 V92C's. Fortunately both already had the transmission upgrades done. The parts for the transmission upgrades are no longer available, that's the real problem!

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
An original well kept early Victory could end up being something of a "collectors item" in another ten or twenty years if you look after it.
I'd buy it if it was cheap and I could afford it.
It wouldn't take up much room in the shed.
Or the loungeroom if you're so inclined.
People aren't gonna be knocking him over to buy it are they.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts