1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
540 Posts
dude, you couldn't pay me enough to do something like this... and if some bonehead did crash my bike, insurance is the least of his problems... if he isn't dead from the crash, i would make sure i finish him off... maybe something like uber though... for a fee i will take you someplace on the back of my bike... ;) :ltr:

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, me either, but I wonder if, say, buying a bike on credit without doing any significant mods to it and it not being your primary bike could be a way to buy a second bike and have others pay for it.

Let's say it rents for $100 a day in your pocket and no one crashes it. It rents for, oh, 5 days a month leaving it for you to ride for the other 25 days if you so chose. Maybe $400 a month toward paying it off and hold back $100 a month for maintenance costs like tires and oil changes.

That's roughly $4,800 a year toward paying off the bike. For the sake of simplicity let's say the bike cost 4 times that amount or $19,200. In 4 years it's paid off. If the bike rents for 10 days a month; in 2 years it's paid off and then it's mostly profit. It would be like having a part time job though because you would have to constantly meet the people to give them info about the bike and the keys. They would need to provide proof of insurance or this start-up company would. Also taxes would have to be paid but I bet most of it could be written off in depreciation and maintenance costs.

In this scenario I would start with a Harley because that's what a lot of people want. I live off the famous Route 66 and see groups of guys and girls from Europe, Australia, and New Zealand renting bikes from Florida or maybe somewhere around Chicago or L.A., depending on which direction they want to ride the famous Route 66. Most of them are on Harley's and they are always black. I guess that's the cheapest color to buy for the companies that rent them out. It must be profitable because they've been doing it for a long time. They probably keep the bikes in service until a certain amount of miles are on the clock then they sell them on the open market and buy new replacement bikes.

As a retired person; I could see myself doing something like this but I don't live near enough to a city to make it easy enough for someone to fly in, rent the bike, ride and return the bike, then fly out.

What if they crash the bike and can't ride it back? Now do I have to go and get it from who knows where or does a towing service do that under insurance? Does that expense come out of my pocket?

Okay, you're right, fuggetaboutit. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
No way I would do that.

I have one friend that's ever rode my bike because I've know him 1/2 my life and know his skill level. I on the other hand won't ride other people bikes, I'm just not comfortable with it and even a tip over is damage caused.

I'll pass.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bikes come back that clearly fell over or had met the pavement one way or another, mirrors gone or broke off, peg and handle bars bent or scuffed up.
Sounds like a combination of inexperience, not knowing the bike, complacency, and don't give a duck.

I don't think this start-up is going to do well with people like me. On the other hand I might consider renting one of these bikes for a couple of days as a way to see some of the countryside of an area I might be interested in if I was passing through in a car.

I'm probably not the demographic they are targeting for this anyway...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I see three critical things this startup company has to address beyond the comparatively easy logistics of mating renter and rentee :) They are: Liability, damage, and the high concentration of bikes that are modified to become their owners "baby". I have custom irreplaceable paint jobs on two of my four XCT bikes so there is no way I would rent those two out. The other two are between stock plus aftermarket chrome (all easily replaceable) and a fair bit of custom stuff that is harder to replace.

I hang with some bikers who have done a lot of customization to their rides and some who have done absolutely nothing. The latter would seem a more friendly target for bikes to rent out.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
13,263 Posts
You talk about crashing. So what about busting the tranie. Now thats a easy 7 grand fix. Sorry I would tell them bring your helmet and go to the HD dealer they'll rent you a bike

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Only two people in my life I ever let ride any of my bikes, both very close friends. Both had have experience with big bore sports bikes like Zx-14's and Hayabusa.

I meet my one buddy ray once at restaurant when I had my busa, I had just got my full system put on and my dyno all done that day. That bike picked up 18 HP and close to 20TQ, not that that bike needed more powe but after the dyno you could ride that bike all over just off the idle circuit and it would still rocket ship itself. We got our table and ordered our meals, and no we did not order drinks, no beer nothing, just coca cola and water, he was there with his wife and my mom showed up as well, I asked him when was the last time he rode anything other then the Road King he had at the time and the last sport bike he had was a older ZX-11, so I slid him the key and said make sure you watch out for cops. I watched him pull out of the parking lot and down the road, 15 mins go by and he came back and as soon as he took his helmet off he had the biggest grin on his face I thought it was gonna stick, two weeks later he stopped in and ended up buying a ZX-14 off us. My other buddy carl has always had a big bore bike, his current bike is a very stout V-MAX and he rides the wheels off it, I should know...I sell him the tires and brakes for it, usually three or four rear tires a season and a set of fork seals an front pads, bike is a 2002 and he bought it in 2006 with less then 200 miles on it and he now has over 15,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I ain't puttin' any money in this startup. No way!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
<snip> My other buddy carl has always had a big bore bike, his current bike is a very stout V-MAX and he rides the wheels off it, I should know...I sell him the tires and brakes for it, usually three or four rear tires a season and a set of fork seals an front pads, bike is a 2002 and he bought it in 2006 with less then 200 miles on it and he now has over 15,000 miles on it.
Can this be correct or did you mean 150,000 miles? 2006 to 2018 is 12 years and 15,000 miles in 12 years is only 1250 miles a year - hardly riding the wheels off it. I've done more than that in a long weekend which leads me to suspect a missing zero in your description.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
483 Posts
Supposed to be 35,000 miles.
I'm confused. I have 35k+ on my 13. It's only on its forth complete set of tires and third set of pads, front and rear.

What's this guy doing to need 3 or 4 tires a season?

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Would I rent 'my' bike? No, no sir, no way, no can do, not anywhere on God's green earth.

But I'd certainly rent bikes for a fee under 'conditions'. Eagle Rider does it and they apparently do well. Licensing, paperwork and credit cards with big 'security deposits' are all factors. A business model like Airbnb for motorcycles, yea, I could get into that.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Blame electric starts.
Used to be if ya cant start it ya cant ride it!
Imagine tryna kickstart 1800cc hehe:devil

Reactions: MonsterMash

·
Registered
435 Posts
What wont people do to try a make some money or get themselves in trouble? Friends wont even get to ride my Vic. Heard too many friend borrows and crashes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts