Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday we finally got our new A/C installed after being without A/C for over a week. Don't ever buy an A/C from Sears---but that's another story. After all the tension of the past week I finally got to ride saturday. I wanted to ride over to Loxley to the dealer to have something on the bike checked. When I rolled up to the shop there in the front were TWO Slingshots----a red SL and the new black LE. After cooling off we went for a short test ride and I was impressed. They had put a canvas aftermarket top on the LE which we drove but I wasn't really fond of it. It made it too hard for me to get in and out. I really like the Slingshot and think it would be a lot of fun but it's not a motorcycle and more like driving a small sports car. My question---would you sell your Vic to buy a Slingshot and do you think it would always be fun or get boring after awhile ?? I am really torn, mainly because of the price. For $26K I can buy a nice sports car with a top. By the way, if this heat continues the bike will stay parked until September. After the hour and a half ride to the dealer I was absolutely exhausted.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Keep your bike ....:cool: If you are independently wealthy , have a 3 car garage , can keep your bike too .... By all means , get a slingshot if you want one , but if not .....:D JMHO !cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think they look cool, but I have not had the opportunity to test drive/ride one. To me, it is a novelty item. I loved the Plymouth Prowler when they came out, just badass, but for me it was not feasible in any stretch of the imagination. Like Mags said, if $$$ is no object, buy one, but I wouldn't trade my lone bike in for it.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I like the look of the Slingshot, especially due to its newness and wow factor. The seats look like it was made for a 5 year-old; no way I'll sling my fat ass in there without a stick of butter and a shoehorn.

No way would I trade.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Great used sports cars can be had for far less expense than the Slingshot. My uncle recently bought a FIAT 124 Spyder in excellent condition for 1/4 the price of the Slingshot. Similar deals can be had on an older, but much more modern, Mazda Miata.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I might switch from my XCT to a Slingshot if I had a life change, like knees going out or if my wife said, "let's tour the country, but not on two wheels". I would not make that switch unless there were a good reason to give up my Victory two-wheeler.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is no way I would ever do that.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Would you trade?
No I wouldn't.
I don't like the looks of the Slingshot from the rear end, appears to be a half done car to my eyes. I've watched a few vids and read the performance specs. I'm not that impressed with the engine or handling.
If on the other hand I was the OP and liked the Slinger.....I feel the newness would wear off quickly and still would never trade my bike for one.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Did you see that vid of someone flipping it over?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
If your wife rides with you, that's limited to times when the weather is nicer. It would be nice if you completed your profile so we know where this hell is you live. Sure the Slingshot is an audacious statement and as others have already said, there are better and more practical choices out there. If I wanted a "toy car" for bashing around, going fun places, showing off, taking to track days, and being able to have Pretty Wife along (and comfortable)etc., I'd spring for a Fiat 500 Abarth. Great bargains can be had and they are a hoot! They have A/C and the exhaust note is worth the price alone.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I looked at them and they do look like a lot for fun to ride, (drive). I am closer to to 70 than 60 years old and am very happy I kept my Suzuki C 50 when I purchased my XC. I just returned from a 2500 mile ride with my wife from near the Canada border back to home. It was great because my wife loves to drive rather than ride. Without the passenger and all the extra luggage we made it great, with only her doing a slow speed tip over in a parking lot. The C-50 is easy to pickup and the XC with only the saddle bags and a nice luggage back on the back seat I will have a few more years to be comfortable on the XC. For me when that time is over, the wife and myself will just tour with a Audi or such.:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. You all had comments I take to heart, and I've decided AGAINST getting a Slingshot. Did some research and can get a new Mazda Miata MX5 for only a little more. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up the bike yet, but just can't ride right now in this heat. We'll see what happens in the future. Thanks again to all of you !

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
So where is this heat? Hades?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The heat is in the South---Biloxi Ms. Temps are in the high 90s but feels like 105+. I am originally from Portland. We lived on 78th just north of Sandy Blvd. i married a Louisiana girl and am now stuck in the South. Could be worse---could be in California. I lived in Torrance for 2 years. That was enough.

·
13,177 Posts
Rich
Just think in a few months we will be shoveling snow and you'll be riding

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Why is OP'S post font so small it's almost unreadable on my phone?

If I get this right, bike or Slingshot.

Keep bike, go test drive a new Miata. Amazing sports car that you can have a ball in and not have to wear a helmet to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Why is OP'S post font so small it's almost unreadable on my phone?

If I get this right, bike or Slingshot.

Keep bike, go test drive a new Miata. Amazing sports car that you can have a ball in and not have to wear a helmet to do it.

I agree with Pops 100%.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wouldn't trade a bike for a slingshot. I did see one this past weekend at a dealership, i liked the looks but would rather have a motorcycle.
About the heat all you can do is deal with it and ride. Hot or cold i still ride it isn't as fun when the temps are at either extremes but it is still better to ride than drive the truck.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
No way theyd pass Aussie ADRs I reckon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts