Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pull my front wheel, and I'll be darned if I can find the right sized wrench. 1/2" is too small, 9/16" and 14mm are too big, 13mm is only like .011 off from 1/2" so it wouldn't seem like it should make that much of a difference.... and the guy at the vic dealership says that it isn't a specialty size. So can anyone confirm it is 13mm?

·
13,047 Posts
Take the head of a 13mm bolt or nut and stick in the hole
If its a 13mm double nut the bolt to get axle out.
It could be that its not metric but SAE

·
13,047 Posts
I looked on the inter net
6mm for the pinch bolts, and 14mm for the axle

·
Registered
894 Posts
Having the right tool for the right job will help things go much easier in a whole lot of cases. Vic's are part of the modern world so metric is the standard. You don't have to break the bank to get good quality tools and your rounded corners will cease to be a problem.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Trying to pull my front wheel, and I'll be darned if I can find the right sized wrench. 1/2" is too small, 9/16" and 14mm are too big, 13mm is only like .011 off from 1/2" so it wouldn't seem like it should make that much of a difference.... and the guy at the vic dealership says that it isn't a specialty size. So can anyone confirm it is 13mm?
Pick up the 1/2" drive hex set 4-19 I thin it is from harbor freight along with a set of t-handle hex both metric and there isn't much you can't handle on the TC. Yes, Johnny's right on the 6 and 14. If 14 ain't fitting then someone has got funky with it. Take a 14 and gently seat it back in. Pay attention to spacers wich side faces wheel on what side.

Tim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, I appreciate all the advice, but I think there is part of this I'm not making clear.

I have hex allens. The set I have jumps 12mm to 14mm, with 12 being too small, and 14 being too big.

So I thought "Ok - 1/2" and 13mm are pretty darned close" - but the 1/2" is definately too small (the "corners" only barely catch). So I'm a bit stumped.

I'll try again with the 14, maybe the opening got a little peened over or something....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK so I'm an idiot.

The "hole" was barely buggered - just enough not to let the wrench in. With confirmation that it should be a 14, a few very light taps with a mallet and it went right in.

Thanks all for the support.

·
13,047 Posts
Make sure you tell dealer you found that special wrench at the 5 and 10 store.
Vic is like any other bike tool are out there you just have to find where
Good Luck

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm a little late on this discussion, but let me mention a "tool" that I use. Look around and find an appropriate size "coupling nut". These are long nuts - 1-1/2 to 2" long -that are used to join two lengths of threaded rod. You can put it into the axle nut and it will stick out far enough that you can use a socket and ratchet on the other end.

If you can find a M8 coupling nut, then it will probably be 14mm across the flats. If not metric, get a slightly larger inch size and file or grind the flats on one end to fit the axle and use a standard socket on the other end.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts