Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'm going to rant then I'm going to ask for input:

Why in the hell does a $23K motorcycle have a crap transmission? I read somewhere that the Cross bikes have the downshifting from
3rd to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st synch issue that can be worked around by blipping the throttle. But then that can create it's onw set of issues (cured on my bike by the addition of the timing gear). I understand the non Cross bike trannies do not suffer from this. Why does Victory have different internals on the same 6 speed gearbox? Is there any resolution to this unacceptable condition?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Do you have a transmission problem or are you just stirring ****? I have been riding my bike for 7 months, 8500 smiles, and have had no transmission problems at all. The engine and tranny on my bike are rock solid.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have a transmission problem or are you just stirring ****? I have been riding my bike for 7 months, 8500 smiles, and have had no transmission problems at all. The engine and tranny on my bike are rock solid.
Oh I have a downshifting problem and it's growing more annoying.
10K miles on it and it hasn't gotten any better.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Let's calm down and start at the beginning. you did not state how many miles are on your bike. It takes a long time for these to break in, maybe 3,000+ miles. I find that preloading the shifter works wonders for smoothing and quieting shifts. Try it, you'll like it.
You really want to be going less that 10 mph when downshifting into first. Dunno what bike(s) you came from, but you gotta ride it like a Victory, not some other brand or type of bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I've had mine for 8000 miles and it shifts like it did on day one. Perhaps yours has some issue?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's calm down and start at the beginning. you did not state how many miles are on your bike. It takes a long time for these to break in, maybe 3,000+ miles. I find that preloading the shifter works wonders for smoothing and quieting shifts. Try it, you'll like it.
You really want to be going less that 10 mph when downshifting into first. Dunno what bike(s) you came from, but you gotta ride it like a Victory, not some other brand or type of bike.
10K miles and six other brands of bike aside from Victory. I've ridden all bikes the same way and never had to "adjust" anything because of a given bike being a specific brand.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Would you prefer the "diesel truck" transmission with all of that torque, or the Prius trans?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would you prefer the "diesel truck" transmission with all of that torque, or the Prius trans?
I don't mind the noise or clunkieness of putting it into gear or the lower end upshifts but the out of synch gears on downshift is crap. Clearly something is wrong and I know I'm not the only owner to mention this. I just want to know if there's a fix.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Sorry dude I have about 7500 miles on my 2012, and the only problem I have ever had is if I am getting on it hard I need to be conscientious about my gear changes or I may miss 2nd on the upshift

Good luck with it... you may have a problem..

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
WTF is with the trannies?

Nope not saying a word. :)

My 2004 shifts smooth as butter no complaints and from what I've read they improved them.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
You are still under warranty, why are you carping about that to us instead of your dealer?

·
Registered
784 Posts
10K miles and six other brands of bike aside from Victory. I've ridden all bikes the same way and never had to "adjust" anything because of a given bike being a specific brand.
Problem found. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Over 16000 on my XC and no problems with the transmission. I've ridden and owned many bikes/brands over the years and I did have to make so e adjustments to my riding style to get my XC feeling good.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have 29,956 miles on 2012 XCT and not a single transmission issue. Nothing. The only complaint I have about my bike is that my a$$ ain't sittin' on it right now. :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
the out of synch gears on downshift is crap.
How about some clarification on this? Describe it clearly so we can relate to your gripe.

I have 14,000 km on mine since I bought it in May. I don't seem to have any "out of sync" issues. Could this be a similar situation to PICNIC (as related to computers)?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I understand your frustration with the transmission. I have two Vic's. The Kingpin has a pretty smooth tranny but gets hard to find neutral at a stop when the oil gets some miles on it. It actually has gotten smoother over time. It's a lot quieter than the trans in my CR. The CR trans is a noisy POS in my opinion. You should be able to put the thing in gear at a light without everyone else at the intersection looking around to see what the big clunk is. The CR trans also will catch a kind of false neutral between 5th and 6th gears once in a while. When that happens,it starts bucking like it is going back and forth between the two gears.I actually have to back off the throttle to let it catch a gear, usually 5thh, then shift up to 6th again. It has done that about a dozen different times since I have owned it. I would take it in to the dealer to let them look at it, but it doesn't do it all the time.
If Victory doesn't get a better transmission ,or at least refine the ones they have, this will be my last Victory motorcycle. From what Ive read, the Indians have a smooth and quiet transmissions. Hopefully they have finally figured out how to make a great trans and will implement it into the Vic's.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not hold the clutch in any longer than it takes to change gears when downshifting. When I'm going from 3rd to 2nd or from 2nd to
1st, the gears do not smoothly engage but rather they chatter loudly and act like they don't want to properly engage. Re-engaging the clutch, goosing the throttle then disengaging the clutch resolves the issue.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts