Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the cruise control turns on (the on switch lights up) but the cruise indicator in the speedo will not come on, and cruise control will not engage, check to see if the 20 amp mini chassis fuse is blown in the fuse box.

Couldn't find anything in the manual that would point you to that particular mini fuse.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
My cruise failed, blowing a fuse, while I was traveling a few years ago. It turned out a wire for the grip heater had chaffed and was shorting. They are very tiny wires but apparently are fused with the cruise control.

Reactions: IndyVictory

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,394 Posts
Probably several things running to that fuse. I'll have to pull out the big wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Also in this situation, see if the throttle cable roll off switch is malfunctioning. Pull either connector going to this switch and if the cruise control then works, you know the switch is not working properly. This is usually caused by a misadjustment of the throttle cable.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
When the X bikes first came out there was a problem with the cruise control not working after washing or riding in the rain. Then it would start working after everything dried out. It was a point on the right ride where wiring was going off the frame and under the fuel tank. There is a connection there that needed to be waterproofed. It was the control that knock out the cruise control if you accelerated the throttle. Some people just disconnected it. It happen to me one time coming home from the Johnson City Pig Roast in the Hill Country. After a while it kicked back in and I never did anything to correct it. I have never had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was only the blown fuse. Likely a self inflicted wound.
With only the limited wiring diagram in my downloaded manual it was a bit of a bear to find as the fuse looked good but on testing later wasn’t.

I would love to get a full wiring schematic. I wasn’t aware they existed till I read through the replies.
Were they included in the factory manual or a dealer only item?

I thought I would post my results for the next guy who had his cruise go out and was searching forums for solution. Hopefully point him to the correct fuse to check.

Thread turned out great though. Everyone hit just about every other typical problem with the cruise.
I’m going to add to the list for anyone searching for solutions.

When that fuse is blown you do get a cruise on light at the on off cruise handlebar switch and power to pin A (on/off +12 volt)(white/dark-blue) of the cruise module wire harness connector under the seat that you have to pull up out of the frame. You do not get power at pin F (switched power +12v) (dark blue and pink) which apparently originates at the chassis 20 amp fuse and is controlled by the engine stop switch. Note: Make sure the stop switch is in run.

Also to note is that in 19.22 of 2012-13 manual there is a pretty good diagnostics section. Unfortunately that fuse must be good to put the cruise module in diagnostic mode from which you can quickly check the other switches in the cruise circuit.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have never used them but I know someone who swears by a special type of fuse that exhibits a small light on it when the fuse blows. This allows you to more easily and assuredly diagnose a blown fuse.

Reactions: Joe_

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,394 Posts
The fold out wiring diagram was included in factory service manual. It is NOT available in PDF form. About 3ft poster size thing.

Reactions: Joe_

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The fold out wiring diagram was included in factory service manual. It is NOT available in PDF form. About 3ft poster size thing.
If you happen to have a copy, almost any UPS store can scan to pdf paper that size for about 6 bucks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have never used them but I know someone who swears by a special type of fuse that exhibits a small light on it when the fuse blows. This allows you to more easily and assuredly diagnose a blown fuse.
I’ve used those in the past and they work very well on non digital circuits like this motorcycle. Would have saved me several hours. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts