Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Agree with everything said in the last two posts. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the product, just figured if Bob was looking to continue to tinker I'd try slightly larger.
Maybe I should make it an option. What do you guys think? Standard and XL?

Heck; everything is an option as far as I'm concerned. I just want to get as close to what the customer wants as I can.

Wally, after thinking about it a bit, I'm not sure the ABS plastic would last any longer than the leather. Maybe even not as long. Steel or an alloy would though. Unlike a seat; the shields don't get stretched and stressed so the cracks may never show if some routine maintenance is given at the same time as other surfaces of the bike. The resolene acrylic I apply when done making them should last quite a while. Anyone could continue using it or Super Sheen acrylic from time to time or switch to a leather conditioner or water proofing.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
OKIt's the nature of the bike (you ARE sitting on an engine)...all TOURING bikes have this problem.
I dont find that to be true, unless you dont feel Goldwings and BMWs are touring bikes. Even in the vtwin world this is the hotest bike Ive ever riddin. While others are in shorts in 112 degree heat ridding their harleys I couldnt dream of it. Its not something I would do but that isnt the point of the message.The point is they can and do. I dont know about the Cross country or the cross roads but the tour model really deep fries your legs and the feet of the passenger. I have got to find a way to direct the heat away from her feet. As it is in any temps over 85 degrees I cant get enough air flow to her feet to keep them from cooking.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Not gonna argue with you because I can't speak to the BMW. But the Goldwing has the same complaints (maybe not to the same degree, no pun intended)...but there are complaints about the heat in the box. Same for the Ultra's.

Here's my setup...maybe it will help you. I have the Ultimate seat and that HELPS. I have the Victory seat pad and that HELPS. I run regular gas and that HELPS. I have Bob's heat shields, and that HELPS. I keep my vents CLOSED at all times, and that HELPS. You put all those things together and on VERY hot days I am no more uncomfortable than anyone else on a hot day.

Maybe some of those tips can help you.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I could ride all day long on wing wearing shorts and the only burn I got was a sun burn. Same goes on a beamer. The reason being on a wing the heat is directed back toward the rear tire. Ive ridden the harleys and they were damn hot but not as hot on the legs as the vic. I assume air flow has a lot to do with it.

Anyway, not sure how a seat changes the heat to your legs or the feet of the passenger? I need more information to understand how it works? Also how does a seat pad keep heat off your legs? As far as the vents being kept closed I cant say Ive had the experiance of less air flow keeping my legs cooler. I know opening diff amounts can change things but if i close them completely I might as well be a oscar myer wiener because Im roasted. Hence why Im very hopeful these shields will help. No question Bob has a very reasonable price and from what I have seen the best design to date. I"m really hoping they might help direct the heat away from my passengers feet.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I think it does help, Joseph, because airflow is caught by the skirt of the shield and directed downward where it exits much lower. What happens for the passenger is the heat still goes rearward (it has to go somewhere), is mixed with the cylinder head heat and the ambient air and creates a flow down around the passengers boot soles where it isn't felt like it would be if it was hitting in the shin area.

Maybe Arkie or others can get a passenger to feel the air flow to see if they are getting the same results...

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
BOB, once your back in full swing I will order one. I would like to buy one with the navy embossed. No rush on my end, back surgery is serious business, take your time and heal up right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bob,

Once have recovered from your surgery I would like to order a heat shield with Navy embossed on it.

Mike

·
Registered
176 Posts
Whats the chances you could use one of those infrared laser type thermometers to see how much it actually reduces the felt heat? You could take some before and after readings in different area's.

The thermometers cost around $30. but it would be great info to provide the potential buyers who are on the fence as to whether or not it works as well as they would like it too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Non-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer-IR001/100674438

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
Whats the chances you could use one of those infrared laser type thermometers to see how much it actually reduces the felt heat? You could take some before and after readings in different area's.

The thermometers cost around $30. but it would be great info to provide the potential buyers who are on the fence as to whether or not it works as well as they would like it too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-Non-Contact-Infrared-Thermometer-IR001/100674438
This is an excellent question but not one for this product. This merely redirects the heat down and away.

Doing a before and after with a particular type tuner or another and the settings on them would be good info though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, but your redirecting the heat from one
Hot area to another location to make the area above
The shield cooler. Wouldn't taking readings both
under the shield then above it show
How much heat has been redirected?
Your shield is designed to change temperatures
So I just thought knowing how much of a
Change would be a good thing, and actually
help you sell more.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, but your redirecting the heat from one
Hot area to another location to make the area above
The shield cooler. Wouldn't taking readings both
under the shield then above it show
How much heat has been redirected?
Your shield is designed to change temperatures
So I just thought knowing how much of a
Change would be a good thing, and actually
help you sell more.
That seems like a good idea, ostbob. Here in AZ, there are many who would probably buy, if they knew specific numbers.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I can tell you this. I rode home 2 hours in stop and go traffic the other day on Rt 95 in CT. The dash temp gauge read between 95 and 100 and it was pretty humid.

I was wearing jeans. Bob's shield made a significant difference in the heat on my legs and my seat was warm, but not hot.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hey Bob! I am in need of a set or two of your Xbike heat shields, if you are still making them. Let me know please. Thanks

21 - 38 of 38 Posts