Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the vtwin mount for it (even tho the amp will fit on the smaller one for the RF amps). So it will be under the fairing and then I'm gonna remove the factory handle bar controls and mount the new kenwood one there. I'm worried cuz I have 2ohm infinity speakers so I'll only be at 45w rms x 2. I plan on switching to 6.5 components @ 4ohms so I can run 90w rms x 2.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks for providing the beer for scale... Can't wait to see the play by play and hear your review!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So today I installed the amp. Took a couple hours, but overall wasn't hard. So far I love the amp, the only downfall is you are limited to your EQ on your phone or media device, unless you download some sort of EQ app.

First I removed the factory amp and handle bar control ImageUploadedByMO Free1466391414.603609.jpg

Next step was to drill out the left mount with a 1/4" bit. I used smaller bits to work up to it. (Kinda sketchy because it's thin) before ImageUploadedByMO Free1466391517.987887.jpg after ImageUploadedByMO Free1466391538.172127.jpg

When I mounted the controller, I used a 1/4 x 1/2 bolt with a washer and lock washer. ImageUploadedByMO Free1466391732.896320.jpg

Finding a switched 12v took a second but wasn't too difficult. Black/pink wire ImageUploadedByMO Free1466391790.892513.jpg

Running the wires to the battery was a piece of cake, just picked up some wire loom to keep it clean. Also added a 20a in line fuse. The mount I used was from vtwin. (Shipping was quick and mount was flawless) ImageUploadedByMO Free1466391922.592361.jpg

Overall the amp even wired at 45w rms sounds great. Damn loud also. I only rode for about 30 min today, but it synced right up and switching tracks was flawless. I would definitely recommend this amp. 👍

·
Registered
742 Posts
Nice writeup - this is going to inspire some to follow suit.
But I must admit, this is not quite what I thought was going to happen when I first saw the thread
IF you took out your factory head unit completely then your Bluetooth device is your sole source for audio now, and the dash display is also disconnected, no longer lights at all? I was kinda expecting something that would add power and Bluetooth in addition to your factory radio and handset controls, not a total replacement. I get it, and I have no doubts it sounds fine, I'm not so sure I want to go quite that committed for my own bike. I think I am going to keep searching for a late model Magnum X1 takeout system that will give me factory appearance and controls with USB connectivity for my phone.

Although I do have to admit, in practice, when I'm traveling down the road I virtually never tune in the radio, just because the signal is typically poor or non-existent - and my stored MP3s sound better anyway, with a more consistent volume level from song-to-song. So maybe I'm being too quick to dismiss the prospect :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice writeup - this is going to inspire some to follow suit.
But I must admit, this is not quite what I thought was going to happen when I first saw the thread
IF you took out your factory head unit completely then your Bluetooth device is your sole source for audio now, and the dash display is also disconnected, no longer lights at all? I was kinda expecting something that would add power and Bluetooth in addition to your factory radio and handset controls, not a total replacement. I get it, and I have no doubts it sounds fine, I'm not so sure I want to go quite that committed for my own bike. I think I am going to keep searching for a late model Magnum X1 takeout system that will give me factory appearance and controls with USB connectivity for my phone.

Although I do have to admit, in practice, when I'm traveling down the road I virtually never tune in the radio, just because the signal is typically poor or non-existent - and my stored MP3s sound better anyway, with a more consistent volume level from song-to-song. So maybe I'm being too quick to dismiss the prospect :)
Thanks man! My bike is the 8 ball so there is no factory screen. Us 8 ball guys only get a 30pin iPod plug in. So no radio or bass/treble controls or anything.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is great! I did the RF amp on my XC, but I was eyeballing this same amp for a blind install on a muscle car, but this would be a great upgrade for anything you could add speakers to! My brother's kingpin with XC bags, slapping a batwing on the Ruckus (or my Vegas), etc. I didn't catch the cool controller in any if the amp ads. Did you buy it separate, or i just didn't catch that it was in the box???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks to Beard_Life for the instruction. Unfortunately, I wanted to post my build here so it won't duplicate but it seems I had way too much pics and this forum won't allow it. I posted at the other forum instead. Anyways, I enjoyed doing this install. Extremely happy with it. Solves my issues with Bluetooth streaming. Here is a vid of it if you want to check it out. :)

https://vimeo.com/179704063

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did the Tune2Air for one trip on my 2014 XC. the handlebar controller does eventually start to work, a few minutes into each start, but overall I think it sucks. Heres what I spent last night doing. This will be a much better solution for me. I also bought a wired remote to use. The unit is a Kenwood 315bt that I made an extension cable for so I can mount it over the whole where the factory stereo is getting deleted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts