Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member, first post.*

I've owned two bikes now, the Goldwing is my current one. I test drove a XC today and I have a few questions. *I love the look but I'm concerned about the sound while driving. It sounds and vibrates like a sewing machine. I'm sure louder pipes would help Drown the sewing machine sound but the vibration? *I've ridden a Harley or two, but I don't recall feeling like that. Short of going for a test drive myself ( I won't be able to do that for another week ) can any of you tell me if there is a difference between manufacturers ( Vic and HD)? *I've ridden Hondas and both the v-Twin and the 6 cylinder are smooth. Of course I'm comparing apples to oranges but why does the Vic vibrate and sound like a swing machine?

I like the bike, and most likely will sell my Wing cause I'm looking for something a bit smaller for cruising.

Thanks for the feedback in advance*

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

A lot of media attention has been directed at comparing the 2010 and now the 2011 Victory Cross Country with its direct competitor, the HD Street Glide. A quick Google search will bring these articles to your fingertips (or you can browse the forum as some are linked here), and most of the differences will be nicely be outlined by unbiased reviewers.

If the stock exhaust is too quiet for your taste, you'll have to think of a set of aftermarket pipes. Remember, what's not loud enough for you, is plenty loud for someone else.

Why does the bike vibrate? To remind you that it's running! Duh! It's a standard feature. :p Test ride all the bikes you think you might like, and you be the judge on which vibrates and how much.

There are a few Cross Country riders here who have owned or still own a Goldwing. I'm sure they'll chime in and give you a more educated answer than what I can provide, as they'll be able to relate more to your current bike situation.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I noticed the vibration also. If you use the search feature you will find a review I did.

A little about the vibration, the HD vibrates a lot at idle but smooths as you build speed. The Vic is the opposite.

My personal uneducated opinion is that the vibration is due to the new frame which is shared with the Vision. I know that the steel framed bikes are smooth as speed builds. Another reason I believe this is because it is recommended that you do not use the hard drive Ipods on the Vision because the harmonic vibration can destroy the hard drive.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Yes. There is some vibration; especially when accelerating hard. Compared to a GW this might be somewhat annoying to some. I believe, as Diamond said, the harmonics do travel through the bike more than on a touring HD because the motor is solid mounted in the frame in the Victory and is in fact; part of the frame whereas the HD is rubber mounted and allowed to vibrate until it smooths out at about 1500 rpm. Just the nature of the beast.

The vibration is noticeable but not annoying to me on the XC whereas on a HD Softail I had; the vibration at highway/freeway speeds was annoying.

There are things you can do for that "buzz" in the bars though. There are foam or ISO grips. There are devices you put in the bars to quell it to a point of not being annoying if it was before. Notice the review of one XC rider using this particular device. It's on my "to do" list even though the vibration doesn't annoy me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well, I have all 3. Goldwing, Ultra Classic, and a XC.

Nothing out there is as smooth as a Goldwing.
1st things 1st.
As you stated you are riding a GW presently so you will notice the vibrations quickly. Riding a GW is almost as smooth as sitting in your favorite chair.

The Ultra has a rubber mounted engine as where the Victory is not and the engine is part of the frame just like diamondrmp mentioned. I will say this As you get miles on the XC it either gets less vibrations or you get use to it, I am not sure which it is. I just know you do not notice it as much. Like Bbob said you can add bar snakes in the bars and that will cut down on the Vibrations.

Sewing machine sound, the HD is chain driven from the crank-compensator- to the transmission-clutch as where the Victory is gear driven. The gear driven sprocket is what ya hear.
The XC is a great second bike since ya already have a Goldwing.
Once you add the +2 bars to the XC (unless you got really long arms) it is very comfortable. I rode 300 miles the last 2 days and enjoyed every mile

dd

·
12,984 Posts
Its a hard thing to conpair when you have been on one bike for so many miles and then try something ells. Its just not the same. I think the only way is to ride the XC a thousand miles. From what I have read here no one really says any thing about vibration.
Keep in mind we are a small few that take the effort to write here and there is a few thousand that don't.
Watch these 5 videos to learn more.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think that anybody considering buying a Harley over a Victory owes it to themselves to watch these videos. I've heard some people claim that this guy's views are biased but I think, over all, it's hard to refute his points.

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
I think that anybody considering buying a Harley over a Victory owes it to themselves to watch these videos. I've heard some people claim that this guy's views are biased but I think, over all, it's hard to refute his points.
I agree. Having wrenched on and ridden HD for 31 years and spent the last 6 months riding/wrenchin' on and studying the in's and out's of Victory; I'd say his points are spot on even if they are biased.

That isn't to say Victory is perfect. Far from it actually with lots of areas to be improved on but overall the Victory motor, electrics, and suspension are superior in design and function. Of course none of that matters if someone prefers the looks, sound, and image of HD.

·
Registered
573 Posts
APD, I have a 2007 GoldWing, and sold my 2007 RoadGlide when I purchased he XC. I also have a 2007 Dyna, so I think I understand your question.

The XC will never be as smooth as a Wing. V twins are not 6s.

Compared to my Harleys, the Xc does vibrate a bit more, but for me, not an issue. Only you can can decide if it's an issue.

However, the suspension on the XC far exceeds the Harley, and is, again in my opinion, better than the Wing.

good luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
That isn't to say Victory is perfect. Far from it actually with lots of areas to be improved on but overall the Victory motor, electrics, and suspension are superior in design and function. Of course none of that matters if someone prefers the looks, sound, and image of HD.

Very well said Sir! thumb up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome feedback and thoughts.

I have seen all the videos, thus the reason I even went and drove the XC. No doubt the engineering is better than HD.

The suspension I did notice was better than my GW. Even over RR tracks and pot holes. I did like that. The seat was more comfortable too. I did have to reach a bit for the bars, but it wasn't bad. Maybe after a few hundred miles I may feel different and get 2" risers, but that's an easy fix.

As for the vibration, yes it's noticeable under acceleration. Not bad when cruising, but when accelerating hard on it it feels and sounds like the fairing and bags will rattle off! Thank goodness for a 6th gear.

I will be test riding 2 HDs on Friday and I'll try to be honest about my experience. The Street Glide and Road Glide is what I'll test.

As for an unmentioned point of view, the dealer already dropped the price to $16999. All I asked was if I had to test ride the bike at Bikeweek to get the famous $1000 off if you buy 10 days after a test drive. He said he would honor that now. I didn't want to haggle more until I make a decision. I've read in these forums that some guys even got the detachable trunk thrown in for free. That would help me keep the touring capabilities I need a couple times a year.

Thanks for all the great thoughts

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
Yeah. The +2 bars really make a big difference.

Sounds like you've got them down to a great price at $17k w/$1k in accessories from Victory. I wouldn't expect them to throw the trunk in on top of all that but ya never know; maybe they will accept the $1k in accessories for it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I rode a Gold Wing 90k , a 04 and sold it this summer. There is nothing like the smooth performance of a Wing. However I did have to stop and take breaks on trips because it was so smooth you would get drowsey. I do have other bikes that vibrate -alot. A 63 Triumph and a 83 XS, both are home built customs. Currently riding a 05 Touring Cruiser, yes it is a little noisey, yes it vibrates a bit, no big deal, after all it is a motorcycle. My wife has a 08 Vision, pretty darn smooth if you ask me. In the process of buying a Cross now, should pull the trigger this week. A little vibration is a good thing, at least that is what the wife tells me????

·
Premium Member
13,061 Posts
A little vibration is a good thing, at least that is what the wife tells me
Your wife is a wise woman and clearly a keeper.

You might want to let her know about the VibeRider. You'll probably want to strap her on for those particular rides though. :D

If she's as good as she sounds; you will have a helluva night ... (wink wink).

·
Registered
336 Posts
Your wife is a wise woman and clearly a keeper.

You might want to let her know about the VibeRider. You'll probably want to strap her on for those particular rides though. :D

If she's as good as she sounds; you will have a helluva night ... (wink wink).
I thought I have seen it all... BBob your out of control :ltr:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Yep, she is a keeper, then again it took a few tries to get it right. And--she likes to fish,been riding since I met her in the 80's. Alright, enough of that, my concern is how much buffeting do you get from the Cross Country?? I am thinking tall windshield, as long as I can look over it and probably the fork mounted lowers should take care of it. I rode a 2010 at a demo day last year, speed was reduced becuse of rain so I never got a good feel for it.
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks Dirtdobber. I think we may have come to a price agreement this afternoon. I will use my 500 acc money for the taller screen and lowers, the rest can come later. Will ride it both ways then decide.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There's better deals and better windscreens available than what Victory has to offer. As well as lowers, there is a post on how to make your own for a fraction of the cost as compared to what Victory wants.

Do some research on what you have in mind before jumping. I prefer the recurve or as some call it flip.
I have a +4 flip (I think the +3 would have been perfect)on mine and it would have been good to have known about the how to do your own lower wind deflectors before I spent the $299.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, drove a Street Glide today.

Hi guys,

Great input from everyone.

So last week I rode the 2011 CC.
Today, I rode the 2011 HD Street Glide with the 103 engine.

A few Pros/Cons for the bikes:
Vic CC
PRO:
-The look is nicer in my belief
-The suspension is better, but not that much of a difference.
-The seat is more comfortable
-The electronics/on board CPU is cool
-Luggage very big and easy to operate.
-price
CONS:
-exhaust note (fixable)
-Vibration as RPM increases. (a BIG one)
-lack of dealers
-expensive accesories

Street Glide 103
PRO
-nice exhaust sound (for stock)
-smooth when riding (unlike the CC)
-great engine power
-lots of accessories
-ABS
-Security system
CONS:
-price
-small storage
-Lack of on board CPU
-Classic Look
-Seat very hard

As for the handling, I thought they were pretty much even.
The suspension wasn't much better on the Vic.

Overall, I love the look of the Vic, but I felt like when I gunned it, it would vibrate the fairing and the bags right off... plus the engine noise (sewing machine) still bothers me. The 103 HD rode really nice.

I haven't made any decisions yet, I'm going to ride both bikes again at Bike week and think about it some more.

I hope the Vic wins, cause I don't want to spend $21 grand for the HD.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts