Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the flip windshield? I am 6ft and the windshield that came with my bike lets the wind hit me at nose level. Will the flip put the air over my head?? Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Good Question. I was looking at those as well. I am watching.....wac

·
13,003 Posts
I had a 8 inch one on my harley street glide and I could see over the windshield just fine but the wind went over me. Even on cold night going home it felt like a lite breeze on the head. There is a company out there that in vented the flip for harleys and he sells more then he can make. I have a vision so I don't need one but I don't think you;ll be disappointed if you buy one.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a flip on my Cross, I am 5-9 and I don't care for it . The curve hits right in my field of vision, maybe a backrest would help by making me sit more upright. It DOES work by sending the air over my head as designed. I just wish they had one a few inches shorter. Still looken...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the XC flip and the lowers. I'm 6' and the top comes to about my chin/mouth. The two together definitely help with the wind at highway speeds (legal and beyond). It wasn't until I hit over 70 mph, that I started noticing some buffeting and it was still nothing like the short shield. I thought I saw somewhere that someone had a shorter flip already available or would soon, Cee Bailey maybe?

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
Is it true the Gustafsson shields don't come with the holes pre-drilled so the customer has to buy a drill bit and "hopefully" get the holes drilled right?

I've got an idea for the XC shields. I just need someone to make them for me. I can sell them at a good price if I can get them made for a good price.

With the shield I have in mind; there would be no distortion at the top and you could look over the top.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, You do have to drill your own holes. I purchased a drill bit when I bought the flip windshield. Shield also comes with a Dremel stone bit to open up the hole to proper diameter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is it true the Gustafsson shields don't come with the holes pre-drilled so the customer has to buy a drill bit and "hopefully" get the holes drilled right?
It's easy to get the holes proper if ya are able to remove the outer fairing. Some don't and not really necessary. But you can do it much easier. Took me about 1 hour to do it all.
The results were worth it to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am thinking of the Gustafsson also. I wish they came with the holes drilled, it sounds like it is no problem with the drilling, but-"every so once in awhile..."
I was out for a ride yesterday with the Victory flip, driving me nuts. Has anyone tried cutting off a couple inches off the top? You would loose the advantage of the flip, just don't know what it would do to the airflow.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have a new Cee Bailey "step contour" windshield on my XC, going for an extended ride today to test it. Quality is excellent...the idea is that it brings the leading edge of the shield clower to the rider. CB makes a similar shield for Harley Roadglides which have a similar buffeting issue . See the picture of the RG shield here, mine looks similar.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/fltr_sel.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
When you say it moves it closer-how close compared with what you are using now?? Let us know how it works out after your ride. Maybe a pic showing the side view if you can???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
XC flip windsield

Ok boys and girls just installed the flip windshield, from Victory and it works as advertised. Can see over top and no more wind in the face. Thanks for all the replies with the good info.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Ok boys and girls just installed the flip windshield, from Victory and it works as advertised. Can see over top and no more wind in the face. Thanks for all the replies with the good info.
I have a new Cee Bailey "step contour" windshield on my XC, going for an extended ride today to test it. Quality is excellent...the idea is that it brings the leading edge of the shield clower to the rider.
Great! But c'mon guys, why do you expect us all to use our imagination here?
:worthless without:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I am thinking of the Gustafsson also. I wish they came with the holes drilled, it sounds like it is no problem with the drilling, but-"every so once in awhile..."
I was out for a ride yesterday with the Victory flip, driving me nuts. Has anyone tried cutting off a couple inches off the top? You would loose the advantage of the flip, just don't know what it would do to the airflow.
If it was that easy they would do it...never heard of a windshield maker who coudn't drill the holes:ltr:

I saw the Gustafsson shield both on a bike at the local dealer, and on a bike at Daytona Bikeweek....the visual quality seemd a litte substandard. No idea how they work, but there was more "lensing" (i.e. distorsion) where the shield was curved than I have noticed on other curved shields

Most windshield makers will let you return a shield if you do it soon, and obviously it is like new (e.g. Klockworks, CeeBaily, Clearview, MRA) I know from experiencethumb up

Since you would have to drill holes in order to try it, I wonder if there is any guarantee?

·
Registered
573 Posts
When you say it moves it closer-how close compared with what you are using now?? Let us know how it works out after your ride. Maybe a pic showing the side view if you can???
I try to take some pictures tomorrow, and start a new thread.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gregbenner, THAT WOULD BE GREAT AND THANKS.

I doubt that you could return one that yu drilled and made a mistake, just my thought anyhow. I checked with Klockworks at Daytona, they do not have one at this time, possibly in the future I was told.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Gregbenner, THAT WOULD BE GREAT AND THANKS.

I doubt that you could return one that yu drilled and made a mistake, just my thought anyhow. I checked with Klockworks at Daytona, they do not have one at this time, possibly in the future I was told.

Brian Klock told me the same thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts