Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One complaint I have about my XC. I wish the gas cap would flip forward. Seems as though it would be easier to refuel. Since I put on the SRVT +2 bars, it is a little more convenient because the bars swing a bit more out of the way though. How about a replacement Victory??????

·
Registered
528 Posts
The gas cap doesn't bother me that much but having to fuel up so slow does. If you do not get the nozzle just right you have to fill up very slow.
you are right it would be better if it would hinge up.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I didn't notice that it was a problem but now that you mentioned it, it would be better if it flipped the other way. I think... No big deal though, since it hasn't bothered me.

Like dirtdobber just said, my wish was that you wouldn't have to be so exact on where you place the fuel nozzle. It seems if you have it off by 2-3 millimeters, your fueling time doubles. The gas gets into that top cup, and the pump nozzle shuts off the fuel. I guess with more practice on our part we won't be able to complain about that one either.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I looked at the parts fiche for the fuel tank cap to see if it is a 2 piece but it isn't. Take care of it, fuel cap $252

However, you can turn it and have the hinge turned inward and upward some. Not sure what it would do for the drain though. Because it would also move it upward.

As venders increase maybe someone will come up with something.
You never know.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I have found it more convenient to fill up from the right side of the bike. I also have one of those goodies that slips onto the filler neck and holds the bellows out of the way. Even more convenient.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You may not be able to rotate the filler. On another forums I saw a write-up about changing to the chrome filler and it said some (can't remember how many) of the screws are dummies. The ability to rotate the filler will depend on which screws are dummies; the real screws may not line up when turned 180 degrees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me! My 2011 Crossroads is the same way. I usually fuel up while sitting on the bike so it opens the wrong way for me. Maybe I need to get in the habit of standing beside the bike.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I'm glad it's not just me! My 2011 Crossroads is the same way. I usually fuel up while sitting on the bike so it opens the wrong way for me. Maybe I need to get in the habit of standing beside the bike.
I also fuel while sitting, and the fuel cap blocks my view slightly, forcing me to peak over it so I can see what I'm doing. I have gotten used to it however, and would not consider changing it unless it was a very easy, no cost method of rotating it. To me, it's barely even worth writing about it.

Btw, xroads, welcome to the forum! cheers

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Very nice. The Kewlmetal piece also shows which screws are real and which are fake, as pointed out previously that some of those five screws were there just for looks. It looks like three screws are real, and two are nothing but fakes. :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Very nice. The Kewlmetal piece also shows which screws are real and which are fake, as pointed out previously that some of those five screws were there just for looks. It looks like three screws are real, and two are nothing but fakes. :)
don't get this...the image simply implies that kiwi used 3 bolts....i also consider the rear-opening cap awkward...it's gonna be rainy-cool this weekend...perhaps i will give the rotation a try...seems like a good idea...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
don't get this...the image simply implies that kiwi used 3 bolts....i also consider the rear-opening cap awkward...it's gonna be rainy-cool this weekend...perhaps i will give the rotation a try...seems like a good idea...
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
When you open the link CrossRoads sent make sure you scroll down below the images of the pop-up cap. If you do you'll see a link that KewlMetal posted; the video shows uninstall of the OEM gas cap and install of the pop-up cap -- he video shows/explains the functional/dummy screws in the mount. The 3 screws are set in a triangular pattern; with only 3 screws it doesn't appear to be possible to rotate the OEM cap 180 degrees -- you may be able to turn it 90 degrees but then your cap would open to the side and be even less functional.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
When you open the link CrossRoads sent make sure you scroll down below the images of the pop-up cap. If you do you'll see a link that KewlMetal posted; the video shows uninstall of the OEM gas cap and install of the pop-up cap -- he video shows/explains the functional/dummy screws in the mount. The 3 screws are set in a triangular pattern; with only 3 screws it doesn't appear to be possible to rotate the OEM cap 180 degrees -- you may be able to turn it 90 degrees but then your cap would open to the side and be even less functional.
Good eye, ammo_umb. Is this the video you spoke of?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked this out this morning(rotating the stock cap). Holes don't seem to line up & also the vent hole then is off. Does not look like it will work to me.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I checked this out this morning(rotating the stock cap). Holes don't seem to line up & also the vent hole then is off. Does not look like it will work to me.
Well then, it will come down to putting on a price on how much the stock gas cap bothers you. If it bothers you enough to justify $150-225, then Kewlmetal has what seems to be a very elegant solution. :cool:

If you're cheap like me, then the stock one is not bad at all. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed. Hard to justify the price for the Kewl Metal. Nice piece though. Not real sure if I care for the screw type operation either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts