Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused, and would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

I am in the market for a Lock & Ride Passenger Backrest for my XC. I'm not in a hurry to spend $500 for this, so I checked eBay. I'd like to know what the difference is between the OEM Lock and Ride Passenger Backrest for $230 and the ones showing up at the Retail Price?

Do I just get that good a deal on the $230 one or is it something I should be wary of? I remember seeing a post somewhere about a recall on the backrests at one time. Is the cheaper one to be suspected as being a recall?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Dan

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I bought the $230 one on EBAY over a year ago and have never had any issues with it at all. Pretty much on the bike 95% of the time as the wife loves riding.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks, good to know there weren't any issues. thumb up

I guess I should pull the trigger and have eBay ship another one to TX!

D.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The cheaper one is likely the recalled model identifiable by weather it has 2 bolt holes or 3 for a rack. The old 2 bolt was recalled but the reason for the recall was that if you used a rack it was possible to overload it and crack the backrest. If you have no plans for a rack then you should be fine with it.

One thing to check is make sure it comes with the mounting hardware which is a bag of plastic spacers you put on the saddlebag mounts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought mine from Roglewrog on ebay and it came with all the hardware and such... it is pre recall, with 2 bolt holes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought mine from Roglewrog on ebay and it came with all the hardware and such... it is pre recall, with 2 bolt holes.
^^^ This is what I have coming.

Is it possible in the future, if I so desire, to merely drill a 3rd mounting hole to install a rack? Or is the rack mount completely different post-recall??

Thanks again,
Dan

·
Registered
399 Posts
^^^ This is what I have coming.

Is it possible in the future, if I so desire, to merely drill a 3rd mounting hole to install a rack? Or is the rack mount completely different post-recall??

Thanks again,
Dan
I believe to prevent that they changed the spacing.

The whole point of the recall was the tendency for stress cracks, I think drilling into it may compound that problem.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If they are selling pre-recall units you should be able to bring them into a dealer and have them replaced with one of the new design. They may ask you if you've ever had a luggage rack mounted on it.

Of course, if you never plan to mount a luggage rack and you don't care about future resale value then you could just use it as-is. Nothing wrong with the backrest itself if it doesn't have the added stress of a luggage rack.

Rob

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have the pre recall rack and backrest . No problems at all with mine . Got them both off ebay too . I wouldn't lose a moments sleep over it !thumb up

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Is it even legal to sell a rack that has been recalled? It looks like the seller should at least state that it is a pre-recall rack and to not put a luggage rack on it.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
They recall things for a reason and just because folks have not had a problem with pre-recall rests (with luggage rack) does not mean that you wont have a problem.
If you're NOT going to mount a luggage rack, pre-recall is good to go. If you are going to mount a rack, post-recall seems to be the responsible thing to do. Personally, I would not want my wife to ride with a pre-recall backrest if I had a luggage rack mounted. But, that's just me.

I recently sold my brand new post-recall backrest to another member for $325.00.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Here's the deal....

Buy the one off of eBay for sure, then take it to your dealer and have them do the swap since it's a recalled backrest. You can do the same with the luggage rack.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Here's the deal....

Buy the one off of eBay for sure, then take it to your dealer and have them do the swap since it's a recalled backrest. You can do the same with the luggage rack.
I asked my dealer if they could order me the replacement parts and call me when they arrive so I could swap them , they were like , no we cant do that . Keep calling us to check on availability ..... WTF ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I asked my dealer if they could order me the replacement parts and call me when they arrive so I could swap them , they were like , no we cant do that . Keep calling us to check on availability ..... WTF ?
Mags,

Did you buy from the dealer? I see the comment about buy from eBay and swap from dealer, but is that really an option? Won't the dealer need to see proof of buying from them\Victory to replace?

Perhaps I just don't understand how the recall replacements work.

D.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mags,

Did you buy from the dealer? I see the comment about buy from eBay and swap from dealer, but is that really an option? Won't the dealer need to see proof of buying from them\Victory to replace?

D.
Nope , they don't care where you bought it ....They did say no problem once they have them . I was just shocked they couldn't , or just wont order it for me like any other part , and just call me when they come in .... Aggravating to say the least .

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some of the backrests on ebay are new, made by Mutazu. I don't know how well built they are. Caveat Emptor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Mags,

D.
It is a Victory part. It can only originate with Victory. They don't need proof of purchase to recall it. It isn't a warranty, it's a recall. Any part that meets the criteria gets replaced. I replaced one that was on the used bike I bought. I have no actual idea where it was purchased and it didn't matter. I brought it to my dealer and walked out with a new one in a box. With it being this simple (and totally free) I can't see why anyone would NOT swap a recalled backrest. Only if you live REALLY far from a dealer would that make sense.

I agree that the eBay seller should be warning people, but it's buyer beware.

Rob

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I haven't found a dealer yet that has one .:mad: Ridiculous .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts