Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode a couple a hundred miles yesterday. Went down to see by brother. He lives a mile and a half of the pavement. They had just graded the road and redid the ditches. Pulling all the sand back up on the road. Riding down it was really squirrely. Almost dump the scooter on the way out. My buddy was on a Yamaha dresser and he made it in and out much better than me. This is the old home place and I have ridden all kinds of scooters down this road. But never had the problems I had yesterday. But it was a good ride.

Reactions: SkInM4N

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
I can't imagine why a Yamaha dresser would have an easier time than a Cross Country. I presume the problem was your bike sinking into the sand more than his? Either he picked a better line than you did (missing the loosest areas), he was doing something fundamentally different with his riding technique, or the Yamaha is just enough lighter, or had just enough wider tire to ride on top of the sand instead of dig in like you. Sand, even the slightest amount, always worries me wherever it appears.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts
A bit more speed and you should be fine with a heavy bike, oh ya and higher RPM than normal..... Lets say first gear then 3000 or 4000 rpm.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
One time I left the pavement onto a dirt road that ended being a sand pit. Sunk my wheels until the frame/engine was sitting on the sand. I wish I hadn't been so dehydrated and remembered to take some pics. If it hadn't been for a local Indian tribe's teens and young people stopping by to help me; my bones would probably still be sun bleaching out there.

I think people running car tires do better than the standard MT's. A fatter front tire helps some in the sand too.

·
13,263 Posts
I road a sand road here a year ago. First one in ten years white knuckle the hole 20 miles. Never again.
Make sure you clean the belt and pulley really good

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm sure there are differences in how each bike handles, but a huge part of it is the tires on your bike, and how much life they have left, compared to the Yammy, its tires, and how much life they have left.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
A bit more speed and you should be fine with a heavy bike, oh ya and higher RPM than normal..... Lets say first gear then 3000 or 4000 rpm.....

Andre using TaPaTaLk
I agree with you.. low gear , high RPM. BETTER CONTROL.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Rode a couple a hundred miles yesterday. Went down to see by brother. He lives a mile and a half of the pavement. They had just graded the road and redid the ditches. Pulling all the sand back up on the road. Riding down it was really squirrely. Almost dump the scooter on the way out. My buddy was on a Yamaha dresser and he made it in and out much better than me. This is the old home place and I have ridden all kinds of scooters down this road. But never had the problems I had yesterday. But it was a good ride.
The squirreliness you felt probably had to way more with your tires(tread pattern, wear, condition, air pressure etc) than anything to do with the bike handling ability.

Reactions: yago20

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I agree with you.. low gear , high RPM. BETTER CONTROL.
This is when the dirt bike skills come into play...although it's much easier on my CRF250R for some reason :ltr:
Glad you didn't dump it and I know the feeling of "almost" on my XCT all too well. The closest I have ever been to dropping (a street bike) has been on Miss Pearl.

Skin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts