Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the 2014 XC 106 at my local dealer and they were telling me I would get mid 40's for MPG, is there any truth to that?

Also, I was curious if anyone has some serious miles on their Victory? I see some issues mentioned in this forum, but curious on the dependability or are there issues that commonly come up.

Lastly, how is the maintenance on these bikes? I see the air filter is under the tank, however the oil filter and plug are handy. Are these bikes owner friendly for maintenance?

Thanks, John

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
In a word... VERY owner friendly

Don't sweat the air filter. Vic designed the tank for user removability. I've done it twice. No sweat at all.

Oil change is so easy it'll make you feel guilty.

On mileage I believe yes you'll get pretty darn good mpg's from what I've seen on my Hard-Ball. Great range of nearly 200 miles on a tank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
13,003 Posts
yes you should get med 40's for mileage but you will not see that un till and 2500 miles cause of break in.
The guys here that have minor problems is about 2% of all the Vic on the road. If you read there post there pretty minor problems.
If you read the Vic hand book they have you change out perfectly good parts at ridicules mileage. Like the belt they say at 1500 thousand when the greater majority of us have way more then that on them and there are some with 80 thousand on there belts. They tell you to change fork oil the same and air filter. Vic wants you to go back to the dealer and spend your money when its not needed.
Vic dealers loose a lot of money cause most of us change our own oil and we do not buy Vic's oil filter we go to auto parts store and buy a Wix.
All in all 90% of us would buy another Vic. I think in a few months the new Vic will be out and you'll see some changes in there gages and FI

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I AVERAGE 43MPG and don't run lean AT ALL and this is fairly common for almost all bikes with the 106 engine thumb up

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm getting 33-38mpg in mine, I'm getting assurances from everyone that 40+ is common on the CCTs but I've had others saying the mid 30s I'm getting is good in itself. I'm really not sure what to think about the mileage question, I'm still pondering it. As for other issues so far I've only had one, I've got that little oil leak on the back cylinder. Haven't been able to see where its coming from yet. Other than that I love the CCT and so does the little woman!

·
Registered
427 Posts
My XR gets about 43 MPG around town and will beat 50 MPG on a long ride! I once hit 53 MPG on a long leisurely 50 -60 mph side road ride. Bottom line....mid 40's is easily achieved......

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Mileage ranges from 40 city to 50 highway. I'm 77 and do all my own maintenance and have yet to find a hard to access fastener.
These things are so dependable an extended warranty is a waste of money.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm interested in the fuel eco myself I just purchased my 2014 xc two weeks ago and I filled up twice and I've gotten about 160-170mi to the tank. The funny thing is, when I fill up, it reads 240ish for range? I have the Tri-ovals with air filter and map. I hope this will improve. I'm still the break in period less then 500mi.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
I'm interested in the fuel eco myself I just purchased my 2014 xc two weeks ago and I filled up twice and I've gotten about 160-170mi to the tank. The funny thing is, when I fill up, it reads 240ish for range? I have the Tri-ovals with air filter and map. I hope this will improve. I'm still the break in period less then 500mi.
It takes 3,000+ miles to break-in these Vics, so be patient. I have gone 240 miles and then some and still had a half gallon or a lot more left to go. thumb up

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
43ish here on MPG. If you are handy at all, you will not have to visit your dealer for maintenance (except tire changes). The oil change takes literally 10 minutes. The tank is easy to remove. There are several good YouTube videos out there that will show you some tips and tricks. It's the best ride I have ever had on a bike. I'm not crazy about the tranny. That needs some refinement.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I usually get about 38-39 mpg in the low to mid 70s on multi-day highway trips. If I'm doing backroad day-trips, 40-42. As air resistance increases with the square of speed, you gotta pay to play, as you increase speed (or, of course, if you keep the revs up, for control, when doing serious twisties).

I've got a little over 20,000 miles as my third season is getting underway. That's a little more than I've averaged on three prior bikes. No repairs needed yet.

With just one place to put oil, and the location of the oil filter and the drain plug and the dipstick, changing oil is as easy as it gets. Having a belt means no chain lubing or adjustment, or final-drive gear oil changes for shaft drives; Vic has inspection details for the belt. Having hydraulic valve adjusters means nothing to do there. Haven't changed the brake fluid yet, and so I don't know if any tricks are needed for that, having ABS. The only minor pains are the fuel and air filters, requiring tank removal (with a caution to be careful about the tank nipple). I use a shop for tire changes. So, IMHO, among the easiest routine-maint bikes out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
43ish here on MPG. If you are handy at all, you will not have to visit your dealer for maintenance (except tire changes). The oil change takes literally 10 minutes. The tank is easy to remove. There are several good YouTube videos out there that will show you some tips and tricks. It's the best ride I have ever had on a bike. I'm not crazy about the tranny. That needs some refinement.
I have to agree so far on the maintenance, I've just finished changing the oil (piece of cake) and putting in a new air filter (not quite as easy but certainly not difficult, just time consuming). As for the tranny, it does take some getting used to, the hard clunk is annoying and satisfying at the same time. Some say it's because of the meatiness of it. There is also a bit of a whine but that's minimal when I ride because I use earplugs for the wind noise and it's nearly non-existent with plugs in. The bike is comfortable without a doubt, my wife begs me to take her riding. As for the mileage differences, I'm wondering if the configuration of the bike is coming into play here, XR vs XC vs CCT, with the addition of the hard lowers the increased drag has to take some kind of toll on the mileage especially at higher speeds (which I do more often).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am also getting around the 43 mpg range. Gas gauge is not trust worthy if you have not already read that. Somewhat accurate through the first 2/3 of the tank, then it is a little flaky.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Slyerone (and all)...preloading the shifter will give you smoother and quieter shifts. Works for this old timer. The whine is from a jillion gears in the primary case. I tell friends its a turbocharger.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
...preloading the shifter
Is that what I do in the Civic, except the Honda tuner folks call it "Rev matching"? Just curious. I guess whatever I'm doing on my scoot, I'm doing it right.. Mine shifts great, now that she's finally got 1000 miles.. I won't judge at all until about 2500 miles. They keep getting better if my last bike (High-Ball) was any indicator. Each time I took her out, she shifted nicer than prior.

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
Preloading is pressuring the shifter just a bit so that when you pull in the clutch, it slips into the next gear as soon as you are past the friction zone.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'll have to play with that a bit. Doing mountain curvies around here, I've become rather subconscious with shifting as I get used to the new scoot. I'd bet I nearly clutch and shift simultaneously. Check out the vids of that electric scoot.. No shifting. While it ain't no V-twin cruiser, I'd bet the lack of shifting would make that thing fun in the twisties.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You do not have to remove the tank (i.e. fully take it off the bike or disconnect any fuel lines) to change the air filter. Victory's own instructions (from the stage 1 filter that comes with the Tri-Oval pipes) tell you to remove the rear tank bolt and slide the tank rearward about 6-8". You just have to be careful with the fuel line coming out of the underside of the tank and ensure that the 90* fitting is in the proper orientation when you slide the tank back into place. Putting some soft rags on the cylinder tops and where the tank will sit on the rear frame will help avoid scratching anything.

This process really isn't much more difficult that removing the chin fairing piece and the battery.

Rob

·
Registered
12,220 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT! Wrap both control perches with towels or other plush cloths to prevent damage to the paint on the tank when you raise it. Don't ask me how I know that.:(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts