Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '14 XC with the narrow seat is a literal pain in the butt. I didn't notice until I put in 200 miles yesterday and how much it started to irritate my tailbone area.

So, I am in the market for a different seat. I have read several posts here, and the options really seem to be:

1. Mustang Daytripper (doesn't look like something I want for the long haul).
2. Mustang Vintage (looks better, and I like mustang seats)
3. Ultimate
4. Day Long (have to ship my seat to them)
4. XCT seat with heat

I am actually leaning towards the XCT with heat seat as the seat seems better padded and wider. And you pick up the added benefit of heat for those colder months.

Has anyone here went from the XC to the XCT seat? If so, what were your impressions?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a 2011 and bought the heated seat off somebody who built a trike. There seems to be less padding in the heated version and is no where near as comfortable as the non heated. These seats are the original wider seats.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My XC was a 2011 and the stock seat has now been disassembled to be custom made into a single seat. I can assure you there is no difference between a heated seat and a non-heated seat as I found that this non-heated seat has the electrical box area made into the seat pan and the padding where the box is (left side) was cut away already. I can post up some pics when I get a chance.

The closed cell foam used in these seats is the best around (according to my upholsterer) but if it is not properly fitted to YOUR BUTT then it will not be most beneficial to YOU. This will be the same with any manufacturer or model of seat you buy. Take it to a good upholsterer and have them "fit you" to your seat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My XC was a 2011 and the stock seat has now been disassembled to be custom made into a single seat. I can assure you there is no difference between a heated seat and a non-heated seat as I found that this non-heated seat has the electrical box area made into the seat pan and the padding where the box is (left side) was cut away already. I can post up some pics when I get a chance.

The closed cell foam used in these seats is the best around (according to my upholsterer) but if it is not properly fitted to YOUR BUTT then it will not be most beneficial to YOU. This will be the same with any manufacturer or model of seat you buy. Take it to a good upholsterer and have them "fit you" to your seat.
That is a good idea. I wonder though, how much different the wider seat (heated or non heated) is than the narrower seat that they use now on the XC. I believe that this seat was used on the XR first before it became standard on the XC in 13.

My pain is located directly in my tailbone. Apparently I am either sitting wrong, or there is something hitting me in the one location.

I am playing around with the idea of pushing my handle bars up into the upright position (they are in the lowest setting right now) to see if this will force me to sit differently on the seat. What I have noticed now is that I am slouching in the seat, and I suspect that this is contributing to my discomfort. My last bike had drag bars, so I was in a different position than what I am in on the XC.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I HATED the stock narrow seat on my 13 XC! I traded it for a 2011 (I think) and it was a drastic improvement. I then went to a 2012 XCT for the heat, and I like it even better. I have switched back and fourth and I can tell a difference in comfort between the two. MY ass prefers the heated seat, but it was still not perfect. After 100+ miles my tailbone would be sore (I suffer from "noassatall")
I borrowed an Airhawk R from a co-worker and it delivered on the promise of double the miles with comfort (and then some). I went on a ride from 8am to 6pm (stopped for lunch, gas, and a couple of Victory dealers) this Monday with no problem. I'm happy my own Airhawk R came in the mail today!
The worst thing about motorcycle seats is there is no "one" seat....

·
Registered
611 Posts
PIcked up the heated XCT seat the same day we got our XR classic. Took me a couple weeks to find time to install it (all of 20 minutes but it's been hectic lately) Haven't had a chance to try the heat yet because the switches are quite literally IMPOSSIBLE to reach with the bags on (might be different with the hard bags but I have the leather wrapped ones). It's definitely more comfy than the stock seat, mostly because of the extra width. The primary reason for it was for the Mrs. though. She compares the stock seat to sitting on a stale loaf of bread (referring to the shape) where the XCT seat is MUCH wider for the pillion rider.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Love the seat on my 2013 zness

·
Registered
55 Posts
modify your current seat

I sent mine to mean city cycles. they have several options for upgrading you seat using your current pan. memory foam, impact gel the can even widen the rear pillion if your old lady has a big ass. the really fi/ed my tail bone problem with their double decker memory foam mod for $165

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I have gone the aftermarket seat route with mixed results, but taking my bike to an experienced seat customizer who gets great reviews, has paid dividends. That way, your saddle gets tailored to your butt and made the way you want it to look.
I won't leave home without a heated saddle, but Vic's location for the switches behind the left case is insanely inconvenient. I had the customizer relocate them to the triangular area ahead of the side case. They are now in the open and easy to reach.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
This is my first aftermarket seat. I always used HD stock seats. Mine came with the Mustang Vintage on it is the only reason I have this one. There is definitely a difference. I've put about 2000 miles on it and it seems like it's the same as Red Wing boots....The more I ride, the more comfortable this seat becomes. I hated it the first month I had it. I was actually looking to trade it out for the stock seat and never got around to it. Thank God. I like it better than my Tundra seat now!!! Good luck, as someone said...There is no "one" seat. It's different for everyone and it is an expensive mistake if you don't get one that you like.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I sent mine to mean city cycles. they have several options for upgrading you seat using your current pan. memory foam, impact gel the can even widen the rear pillion if your old lady has a big ass. the really fi/ed my tail bone problem with their double decker memory foam mod for $165
This would be the route I'd take. What I didn't realize, is I've actually ridden by this guy twice now on my way to the area to look at Hard-Balls. Given I actually like the looks of the current seat, and stock it's a far far far cry from a steel-frame seat.

I'm good for now, but if I get to that point, I'll ride down to see them at Mean City to do a little magic with the seat for better weight distribution with as minimal seat position alteration as possible.

Seat position is the worst part about swapping seats.. It's the luck of the draw if you'll like or or if it will alter the position to the point the bike no longer fits you. So I'll just mod the stock one judiciously for fraction of the cost.

The fellow at Mean City has an awesome reputation by the way.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Air Hawk might not be as cool to look at but on trips over 2 hours they work. And they don't break the bank. Still have enough left over for some sturgis fun. Wouldn't take a long trip without it.cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I'm going to pick up a second OEM seat (wider tour seat) from a member here. That way I will have a base pan for a custom seat if I decide to go that route. I really would rather rework a stock seat to my specs rather than purchasing an aftermarket seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts