Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on a ride with the wife today and randomly my bike started turning off and and back on while on the highway. Did this a couple of times and then died all together. Wouldnt start again and nuetral and oil light were flashing. Got it home in a truck and got the battery charger then tried to start again.

The link is a video of what it was doing and the sound it was making with the kill switch on and off. The noise sounds like it's coming from behind the motor... any ideas?

https://youtu.be/aLIkSaXtlGA

·
Registered
251 Posts
I do not have an XC, but when my battery started to get weak the bike ran bad and it would not start if the battery volts was 10 or less. Every thing else worked fine, but no start and some times would not turn over. New battery installed and all is good. Just some info. Check what BBob said first.
Good luck,

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
Something I just noticed but should have seen right away in the video is your volt gauge on the dash is reading zero with the key on. Pretty sure you should be reading at least 12 volts. I'm too lazy right now to go out to the garage and check though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
After reading about all the breaker issues, I've always wondered if it wouldn't make sense to just change the breaker at the same time you change out a battery. The breaker is certainly cheap enough.
You could always keep the old breaker as a spare if it was working ok when you removed it. I do this with my spark plugs, figuring if I ever cracked a plug while cleaning or doing maintenance I wouldn't be stuck without my ride.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I removed 2 relays were doing the clicking and voltage on the dash matched voltage on the meter, around 12.8 even after messing with this for a while, battery will drop down to around 7 but is back to around 12.8 within 30 seconds of shutting the bike off.

The battery should be around 13 something if I'm not mistaken right?

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
After reading about all the breaker issues, I've always wondered if it wouldn't make sense to just change the breaker at the same time you change out a battery. The breaker is certainly cheap enough.
You could always keep the old breaker as a spare if it was working ok when you removed it. I do this with my spark plugs, figuring if I ever cracked a plug while cleaning or doing maintenance I wouldn't be stuck without my ride.
I'm at around 28k on my XC and still using the original breaker at the battery. I do have a spare in my saddlebag though.

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
So I removed 2 relays were doing the clicking and voltage on the dash matched voltage on the meter, around 12.8 even after messing with this for a while, battery will drop down to around 7 but is back to around 12.8 within 30 seconds of shutting the bike off.

The battery should be around 13 something if I'm not mistaken right?
13.8v if memory serves. Again; how old is the battery? I'm guessing it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
13.8v if memory serves. Again; how old is the battery? I'm guessing it's time for a new one.
Yeah I think the battery is gone. The bracket didn't fix it. I don't know how old the battery is but it's the same 1 since I bought the bike back in early March

·
Registered
307 Posts
As a rule unless there is a mechanical sound (Nd even if there is) or something fell off check the battery and connections first. Save time and money ;-) LMYR

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a rule unless there is a mechanical sound (Nd even if there is) or something fell off check the battery and connections first. Save time and money 😉 LMYR
Normally that's what I do but the battery voltage was the same. I think the amps just weren't there

·
Registered
207 Posts
A little confusing, 12.8 bike off doesn't sound bad. 13.8 running sounds good. No one ever asked, are the battery connections clean and tight? This gave me problems one time. Think I was getting a check engine light.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A little confusing, 12.8 bike off doesn't sound bad. 13.8 running sounds good. No one ever asked, are the battery connections clean and tight? This gave me problems one time. Think I was getting a check engine light.
yes everything was clean and 12.8 is the voltage I have on a brand new battery when off so I'm pretty sure it had the voltage it needed but ko longer had the cranking amps required. Everything is good now with the new battery though

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Sounds like my battery. Going to get tested soon just haven't had time. Voltage looks good but bike will run like crap when first started with low voltage on dash trying to die but if it gets past that then volt meter goes to normal no problem staying running.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts