Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up all? Been a while since I've been on the forum. Snow is pretty well gone up here in Sask. so time to put rubber to road.

I'm doing my exhaust set up asap. My bro will be doing his as well. He is sold on the Vic Stage 1 and I am thinking about a set up from Lloydz.

Here are the two options we are considering for our XCs:
- Victory Stage 1
- RPW V-211, VFC-III, Lloydz XC/XR Hi Flow Air Filter

Here are the considerations:
- Performance. I have seen the dyno of the vic stage 1 but not of this other set up from Lloyd
- Fuel controller vs. map - I haven't been a fan of the map in the past. I always ran too lean.
- Value
- Price
- Sound - I have heard that the Vic stage 1's sound pretty weak. At the same time, I don't want to sound obnoxious.

I'm hoping to get some good insight here boys like I always do. This thread will help me make the call for sure.

Thanks in advance. Peace.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I went with k&n and fuel controller. And I can adjust that.

How do you adjust the flash.. You can't your stuck with what they give you... That is if there is any changes in that flash at all.

If your talking performance go with Lloydz. Get a fuel controller and adjust it to work with what ever you have, free flowing pipes or quiet pipes. You can't do that with a flash....

Good luck with what ever way you decide to go.

Ps
Snows been gone foe a while here in NS

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The newer Victory Tri-Oval pipe's sound a LOT better than the "old Stage 1" pipes and they are designed to be used with the Stage 1 flash.

The Lloyds air filter is the BEST mod for the $'s (something like 3-6HP for $130) so even if you DO go with the Stage 1 tune from Victory, you can still do the Lloyds Air filter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
From the dyno charts I've seen you should easily be able to get about 90+ HP and over 105 torque with a Llyodz air filter, tuner and decent pipes like the RPW. That's rear wheel numbers. How does that compare to the Victory Stage 1 dyno numbers you've seen?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
From the dyno charts I've seen you should easily be able to get about 90+ torque and over 105 HP with a Llyodz air filter, tuner and decent pipes like the RPW. That's rear wheel numbers. How does that compare to the Victory Stage 1 dyno numbers you've seen?
Pretty certain you mistakenly flipped those numbers right, XKnight? If so, I would agree that we can get over 90HP and 105TQ out of these bikes with little more than the Stage 1, Pipes & the Lloyds Air Filter. Here's my before & after Dyno's with just the Lloyds Air Filter and my stock bike.

100% stock..

10 minutes after Lloyds Filter change...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pretty certain you mistakenly flipped those numbers right, XKnight? If so, I would agree that we can get over 90HP and 105TQ out of these bikes with little more than the Stage 1, Pipes & the Lloyds Air Filter.
Yup, my dyslexia seems to be kicking in.:crzy: I edited it.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Here's my before & after Dyno's with just the Lloyds Air Filter and my stock bike.
The different scaling between runs is deceiving. Looks to me like you actually lost power up to about 4500 rpms.

_________2500 rpm___3000 rpm___3500 rpm___4000 rpm___4500 rpm
HP
Stock______45_________55________65__________74________80

Lloyd______30_________35 ________50__________65________80

The slight bit you gained at the very top hardly makes up for the loss everywhere else, plus, who the hell rides these things at 4500 rpm all the time?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ndabunka, did y ou flash the computer too or is that change just from the air filter?
According to the paperwork from the original purchase, nothing was done prior to ownership but this IS a Ness edition and some have mentioned that the Ness editions "might" have had a flash but others INSIST that there were no engine mods to the Ness bikes so I can't really say for certain that a flash wasn't done beforehand without my or the 2nd dealer's knowledge (2nd dealer got the bike transferred to them from the 1st dealer). It had 2 miles on it when I got it.

As to Saddlebag's translation.. Not really certain where he go the odd ratios from but as you can see, there is a big difference between 3500 & 4500 which I am in a lot. Here is that other dyno showing both the original run and a second run (with the filter) about a year apart that is on the same scale and shows improved power through all ranges. As you can see, the peak number is a bit lower (due to poor weather conditions on that year later run).

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
As to Saddlebag's translation.. Not really certain where he go the odd ratios from
The initial plot you provided. Do you see numbers on it different than those I see?

but I DO have that other dyno that shows both the original run and a second run (with the filter) about a year apart that is on the same scale and shows improved power through all ranges.
Actually, this graph shows that the stock still performed better up to about 3300 rpm.

As you can see, the peak number is a bit lower (due to poor weather conditions on that year later run).
After a year, the Lloyd's is probably starting to clog up causing better low end and lesser top end i.e. more like the stock filter. ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
I must be missing something when it comes to needing more power on these bikes. A Vtwin is all about LOW END GRUNT something these bikes need MORE of.

But if your looking for more top end power a Vtwin is not the motor for this. (At least not in long stroke form)

A short stoke high reving motor is what makes power.

Personally I would like a motor that will pull my arms out of the socket at 2500 rpm. And sounds good doing it.

These 106 motors make to much racket.

Between the roller rocker noise, gear backlash and tranny noise it comes across as a motor made in China... Sorry guys but these motors make all the wrong sounds.................

Most days its so loud I cant believe this motor can sound so sloppy and last.

I can only hope that Polaris put more effort in the new Indian Motor.

Clicks Clacks and Clunks dont give the Inpression of Quality...

Dont crap on me you know its true!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Your perception is your perception. I agree that the X bikes could use a little more zing down low, but I really like the way the engine performs in the middle. I also wish they continued to make power to about 6500 rpm. It's a little too easy to bang off the rev limiter as it is.

As to the noise, I love how mine sounds pulling from around 3500 rpm.

I also wear a helmet, so I maybe missing some of the extraneous noises.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Robvision, I agree with your observations about the engine noise. I'm always in tune to how the bike handles and the noises it makes, but I guess I'm starting to become a little more tolerant with all the noises. The last bike I had was 2005 Road Star (midnight star). I really liked this bike and it was very reliable with good performance, but the engine noise sounded like a can bolts. All normal sounds for the bike. With the big V-twins there are going to be some noises.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Robvision, I agree with your observations about the engine noise. I'm always in tune to how the bike handles and the noises it makes, but I guess I'm starting to become a little more tolerant with all the noises. The last bike I had was 2005 Road Star (midnight star). I really liked this bike and it was very reliable with good performance, but the engine noise sounded like a can bolts. All normal sounds for the bike. With the big V-twins there are going to be some noises.
In part glad to here the Road Star made some noise. I guess for the PRICE and for all the bragging that Victory does I was hoping for a little more effort in the noise and hash sounds dept.....
My last bike a C90 (1500) made sounds that I thought was quality related. But the XCT makes 10 times the racket..

I guess the other thing that realy burns my ass is that my son says my bike shifts HARSH compared to a Harley Electraglide. And makes more ticks and clicks also. Now that hurts....

I think there is way to much valve to rocker arm clearence on my bike. It sounds like a bike with solid lifters with a gap of aprox 100k It is real bad around the 2500 rpm where the ticking noise turns to a very loud clatter.

Personaly I would opt out of the roller rockers just to get rid of this racket...

It would be cool if Lloydz would make a rocker box assy that had a way to (Pre-Load) the hydrolic lifter like Harley Has...... and most cars have....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Robvision, You are dead nuts on ! about the noise in these motors. If it was'nt for my amplified sound system I would'nt be able to tolerate it all the time. I will share this though. There are sweet spots in these motors in certain gears that I tend to ride in alot and that helps me get thru. A learning process if you will. If it wasnt for the comfort and good looks of the XC I would be on a Vision or a Road Glide or Street Glide. Hell they all have their noises and issues.

My last tourer was a 1700 Voyager. I remember riding that bike and saying wow somebody finally got it right. Smooth motor, no noises, great wind control, decent power. Then I put Cobra Tri-ovals on. (now known as the vic stg1). Then I removed the air filter contraption between the cylinders. Had to in order to do an open air setup.
A Cobra fi2000 tri pot.

This is where it all changed things. That air filter box was a silencer system, baffle box thingy cleverly designed by Kawasaki to: Wait for it, ..........Ready........... Quiet engine noise down! at the expense of heating the incoming air into the motor! WTH.... After removing it, I heard everything in that motor! worst than The Vic ever could be. I couldnt stand it! But It was so freagin hot with that dam epa silencer on it that I could not stand to ride it in the summer. It had to go so I Went and bought an amp and upgrade the speakers just to drown it out. The trade off was a cooler running ......better running...... noiser bike! with a kick ass sound system HA!

The 106 is a big motor and your pretty much sittin on it. No noise box in between the jugs to absorb the noise. Maybe thats why some Vision owners dont complain about it much. Alot of extra body work surrounding the motor. Anyway I keep telling my self that its my mechanical orchestra down there working to keep me moving down the road. Change your oil often and dont worry about it. The dam things are bullet proof. cheers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The initial plot you provided. Do you see numbers on it different than those I see? Actually, this graph shows that the stock still performed better up to about 3300 rpm.
Like I stated in my post, the second run (on the same Dyno) was executed on a day that was VERY POOR for trying to get good HP out of the bike (around 90-degrees & a storm hit 5 minutes after they ran my bike) so THAT is most likely the best reason that particular Dyno didn't do well up to 3300 and also the reason it did not reach the 90's at the top end either. Both the other Dyno's were 65 temps with low humidity.

After a year, the Lloyd's is probably starting to clog up causing better low end and lesser top end i.e. more like the stock filter. ;)
He Swings... and misses ;) Every year there is an event here (near Charlotte, NC) called Bikebooberfest that is held each October. The first run was executed in October of 2011 and the second run was executed in October of 2012). Dyno runs 2 years apart have nothing to do with when the air filter was installed :cool:

To further clarify things, my dealer at the beach was nice enough to put the air filter on for me while I was at the fall bike rally in Myrtle Beach, SC (October 3rd-7th, 2012). The Lloyds had only been on the bike about a couple of weeks (at most) when this second Dyno was done.
Cheers! cheers

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I think there is way to much valve to rocker arm clearence on my bike. It sounds like a bike with solid lifters with a gap of aprox 100k It is real bad around the 2500 rpm where the ticking noise turns to a very loud clatter.
Do a search on here. Most of us do NOT have what you are describing. However, there are a few on here that had problems with perhaps a "compensator?" that was causing excessive rattle and eventually burning out a clutch around 25K miles.

PS - How did a nice thread about alternate performance mods get turned into a discussion about clanks and rattles? Can anyone say...TANGENT!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I must be missing something when it comes to needing more power on these bikes. A Vtwin is all about LOW END GRUNT something these bikes need MORE of.

But if your looking for more top end power a Vtwin is not the motor for this. (At least not in long stroke form)

A short stoke high reving motor is what makes power.

Personally I would like a motor that will pull my arms out of the socket at 2500 rpm. And sounds good doing it.

These 106 motors make to much racket.

Between the roller rocker noise, gear backlash and tranny noise it comes across as a motor made in China... Sorry guys but these motors make all the wrong sounds.................

Most days its so loud I cant believe this motor can sound so sloppy and last.

I can only hope that Polaris put more effort in the new Indian Motor.

Clicks Clacks and Clunks dont give the Inpression of Quality...

Interesting observations on the sound of the motor. I guess it really does all come down to how we perceive things. I do agree that in stock form the engine could definitely use some more torque down low. Coming from 96 and 103 Harley's, I definitely noticed the lack of torque in low revs. Once the revs are above 3G though the Vic motor pulls really hard and has much better top end than a stock Harley 103. With the proper mods though the torque curve can be made much better down low.

As to the motor noise, I wear ear plus and a full face helmet so don't notice the sounds you're referring too. The biggest change in sound coming from a Harley is that the stock Vic exhaust sounded anemic, but the same is true for stock Harley's. Since doing the Magnaflow exhaust mod my Vic sounds like a muscle car and with the PCV and Lloyds air filter my torque curve down low is much better as well. Might add the Lloydz timing wheel for even more pulling power.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thanks slickvic

I do like the look of the bike (Thats why I bought it) and handling is great. The vision I test rode made a light valve ticking noise but nothing like my motor. I guess the Vision body work hides the noise well.
Its not bad with a full faced helmot on but I ride with a brain bucket so I hear everything.

So how did this thread get so far off track ? Because I couldnt understand why anyone realy needs more power on a XCT ..
More power at say 2000 rpm - that would be nice...
But as far as winding out a Vtwin - not for me...

A Yamaha FJR would be a better place to spend your money..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Interesting observations on the sound of the motor. I guess it really does all come down to how we perceive things. I do agree that in stock form the engine could definitely use some more torque down low. Coming from 96 and 103 Harley's, I definitely noticed the lack of torque in low revs. Once the revs are above 3G though the Vic motor pulls really hard and has much better top end than a stock Harley 103. With the proper mods though the torque curve can be made much better down low.

As to the motor noise, I wear ear plus and a full face helmet so don't notice the sounds you're referring too. The biggest change in sound coming from a Harley is that the stock Vic exhaust sounded anemic, but the same is true for stock Harley's. Since doing the Magnaflow exhaust mod my Vic sounds like a muscle car and with the PCV and Lloyds air filter my torque curve down low is much better as well. Might add the Lloydz timing wheel for even more pulling power.
Speaking of the Lloydz timming wheel - That can go + or - factory valve timming.. I know if you run the valve timming to the plus side you will loose low end torque get a rough idle and gain high end power....
Does anyone know if the timming wheel was set on the (-) side if the low end tourque would incress..

1 - 20 of 57 Posts