Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing some work on the bike; I took the seat off and found dried mud all over the place that came in from the hole the seat latches on to. I cleaned up some of the mud before I took this pic.

I remembered I had ridden through some muddy water from some road construction last week. Of course this is where the catch on the seat goes but am I missing something here or is that hole just left open like that?
I ended up putting a piece of thick rubber over it and bolted it down with the backrest post for now. The seat is slightly more difficult to put on but not by much.

If anyone comes up with a better idea; I'd sure like to see it. I view this fix as a temporary stop-gap measure for now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I wonder why that would be there? Looks like they forgot to put a plug there - why would they allow slop from the wheel to get under the seat? You can see the tire!

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I think that is the seat mount hole. Some people put the rubber on the other side.

Also there is another HUGE cutout under the rear fender for I think the CB unit.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get the bike up on a lift to see if I can see the area where a CB is supposed to go. Seems like a funny place to put a CB.

I'm very surprised there isn't some kind of plug that fits in the seat latch hole but still allows the seat to latch. There's a big plug a little further toward the tank in the same area. You can kinda see it in the second pic. I dunno. Seems like this issue somehow slipped through their quality assurance somehow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Interesting idea.

Think it might be possible to connect it to the seat mount itself so when you install the seat it would be like it is normally except it would cover the hole

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
That looks like it was made to hide ones stash! :ltr: Who can say this bike wasn't made for everyone? :ltr:

·
Registered
169 Posts
We used to use holes like that to dump "stuff" out of my old Camaro. You know...... soda and "stuff" like that.cheers

It does seem like a bad place to leave a hole open though. Especially if you live where water get into places and causes rust.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does seem like a bad place to leave a hole open though. Especially if you live where water get into places and causes rust.
I hear ya. And what about the folks who live in cold climate's who get a nice day occasionally but the roads still have salt on them. One little area of wet road would put that salt right up into this top rail area of the frame. ride in enough of it and it will find its way down to the fuse box and other key electrical areas. We all know salt water and bikes/cars don't mix well.

Oh well. Just being aware of it is half the battle. Fixing the two areas are the other half. ;)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
You can cut down a little more on the dust/dirt with some foam. Get strips of foam (the seat cushion type) and squeeze it in between the inner and outer fender all the way around the hole the passenger portion of the seat sits. You could probably use expansion foam if you're careful enough.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can cut down a little more on the dust/dirt with some foam. Get strips of foam (the seat cushion type) and squeeze it in between the inner and outer fender all the way around the hole the passenger portion of the seat sits. You could probably use expansion foam if you're careful enough.
I'd need to see pics to understand this idea. I'm a visual learner.

You still need to put the seat tab in the hole.

·
Registered
221 Posts
What I did to mine. I used a piece cut out of a light plastic mud flap. I will try to post a picture the next time I pull the seat off. It is the width of the hole and as long. Kind of t-shaped at the hole portion, it is an inch wider on each side, Total length is about 8-9 inches so that it tucks under the painted strap that goes across the frame. Then I flexed the width & tuck it into the hole. When you put on the seat it tucks into the hole as it normally would, but pushes the light plastic flap down. Is this as clear as 'mud' ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Took the seat off. The part of the flap in the slot is about 1" wider on each side and about an 1" longer than the slot. Where it slides under the painted support is about an inch. I put a dab of JB weld midway between the painted support & slot, weigthed it down for a while, reinstalled the seat. I didn't clean this area up before pics, so this is what I got for dirt after about 3000 miles. I have also cut flap and have it attached to the inner fender frame by electrical ties. That's the area behind the rear wheel. So that may help keep road grime from kicking up onto the frame under the seat.
IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0161.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks much better and probably more efficient that what I came up with. I got to thinking about someone else's suggestion about gluing a piece of memory foam onto the seat and letting it create a seal when the seat is bolted on. I might give that a try too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts