Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I swapped out the bulbs that came in the driving lights kit from Arizona Victory for a set of Adjure 4 1/2 in. Diamond-Cut Ice Spotlights. These bulbs look like they were MADE for the Vic....and match the headlight perfectly! I used the same 35w H3 bulbs from the original bulbs as they work fine. I was looking for sealed beam bulbs when I stumbled across these. The match was just too perfect to pass up! The pic on the left are the bulbs that came in the driving light kit, the pic on the right are the new Ice Spotlights.

Adjure 4 1/2 in. Diamond-Cut Ice Spotlights
https://www.denniskirk.com/212063.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CPT-ztjSqLgCFYU5QgodOWEACg

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks coolthumb up. Any difference in the beam and/or output?
Not that I can tell. As I said....I used the original 35W H3 lamps as they were already wired. I just used the new bulb shells to replace the other ones. I rarely ride at night so I have no idea how well they light up the road. I use them more to be seen by others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Definitely interested in this kind of setup myself. How bad was the install?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Just heard from AZ Victory, said shipping the lights out Monday .. Should be able to give some input on this setup in another week or so ..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Any updates or problems

A friend has told me he read on the forums that folks with these lights are developing cracks in their fairings, can anyone report on that? also, any do-it-yourself-ers to report on the install, I/m still a bit confused as to where the holes get drilled.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
A friend has told me he read on the forums that folks with these lights are developing cracks in their fairings, can anyone report on that? also, any do-it-yourself-ers to report on the install, I/m still a bit confused as to where the holes get drilled.
I found a thread in which DentDave describes mounting these lights:

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=13324

In that thread, post #16 (page 2), Jeepster mentions possible fairing cracking. In post #31 (page 4), DentDave -- the following year -- says no problems so far.

That's all I could find on this forum, with some quick searching.

However, much as I think these lights look pretty sharp... just sitting there, in pics... I think it may not be the best idea. I'm not trying to disparage them, rain on anyone's parade, get into an argument, etc. That said, here are some things to consider:

1) It seems to me that the lights are definitely putting weight on plastic, ABS, or whatever the fairing's made of. Seems like you're looking for trouble if you add weight/torque to something that wasn't intended to be sort of structural.

2) On the safety front, from what I've read and experienced, you want a "light triangle" for best conspicuity (as opposed to lights in a straight line). The larger the frontal area encompassed by the light positioning, the more likely a cager -- say, waiting to possibly make a left turn in front of you -- is to be able to estimate your approaching speed, because the more likely he is to be able to see a change in your position (because a larger area provides a greater change in perspective, with a change in position). So, I think fender- or caliper-mounted lights are better for safety. Or something along the lines of how the extra lights are mounted at the outer reaches of the front of the engine on a Gold Wing, for instance.

But the Arizona lights do look nice, and if they work for those of you who have them installed, more power to you. And maybe you'll chime in and say that your fairings are doing fine, it's a non-issue, etc.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
square angle

It appears that your brackets are angled at less than 90 degrees, is this the case? also, does either the light itself bounce to the point that they hit the fairing? or the bottom bolt hit the signal? I saw where someone else mounted smaller 3 1/2" lights and the close up pics of his make the chrome brackets appear to be at a square 90 degrees.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I swapped out the bulbs that came in the driving lights kit from Arizona Victory for a set of Adjure 4 1/2 in. Diamond-Cut Ice Spotlights. These bulbs look like they were MADE for the Vic....and match the headlight perfectly! I used the same 35w H3 bulbs from the original bulbs as they work fine. I was looking for sealed beam bulbs when I stumbled across these. The match was just too perfect to pass up! The pic on the left are the bulbs that came in the driving light kit, the pic on the right are the new Ice Spotlights.

https://www.denniskirk.com/212063.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CPT-ztjSqLgCFYU5QgodOWEACg

My Only concern there is the price while had mine 6 months now finally had a bulb go (left side) and then to my nightmare found the Az Vic solders them inside .. Reworked the lights so can screw in the connections now but a 4411 Bulb works Fine and is $11.00 they originals are 4415 which cost around $6.00 which has the same Voltage and Wattage but is a lesser quality bulb so went with the Sylvania 4411's ..

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It appears that your brackets are angled at less than 90 degrees, is this the case? also, does either the light itself bounce to the point that they hit the fairing? or the bottom bolt hit the signal? I saw where someone else mounted smaller 3 1/2" lights and the close up pics of his make the chrome brackets appear to be at a square 90 degrees.
The right side light just barely touches the top of the turn signal housing....the left just barely clears. The lights do not touch the fairing in any way....and have a good bit of clearance as you can see in the pic. So far I have seen no sign of cracking in the faring.

I love the looks of them and they do provide a nice amount of extra lighting. I can't comment on the safety aspect of where lights get mounted...I just know that having extras makes me feel better. A mounted Christmas Tree won't save you from from someone completely oblivious to your presence...no matter your diligence. Also, keep in mind this was a dealer install...I did not do the original work myself.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The right side light just barely touches the top of the turn signal housing....the left just barely clears. The lights do not touch the fairing in any way....and have a good bit of clearance as you can see in the pic. So far I have seen no sign of cracking in the faring.

I love the looks of them and they do provide a nice amount of extra lighting. I can't comment on the safety aspect of where lights get mounted...I just know that having extras makes me feel better

. A mounted Christmas Tree won't save you from from someone completely oblivious to your presence...no matter your diligence.
Is for sure some will never see you regardless but definitely is a Big Improvement for being seen .. I do not regret having these now installed .. Just warning others is a big pain to install and not the best quality for what you pay for them .. I did Enjoy the extra lighting when took the road trip after getting them installed ..

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
What did you find to be such a PITA ?, I've seen some pics of an install that didn't look too bad. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this light kit but for some reason a bit hesitant

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Some folks like these lights on their XC - XCT ... IMO they don't "flow" with the design at all and look totally out of place.

What's more is the position severely takes away from the signal light's visibility as they are simply too close. If you look at most other bikes that are factory designed to include such lights (Harley for instance), you will note that there is a lot more distance between the driving lights (often referred to as passing lights) and the signal lights. There is a reason they were designed that way.

Different strokes for different folks but I'd never put these kind of lights on my XCT.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Okay. If you still used halogen bulbs, what made you make the switch between shells??

·
Registered
636 Posts
Some folks like these lights on their XC - XCT ... IMO they don't "flow" with the design at all and look totally out of place.

What's more is the position severely takes away from the signal light's visibility as they are simply too close. If you look at most other bikes that are factory designed to include such lights (Harley for instance), you will note that there is a lot more distance between the driving lights (often referred to as passing lights) and the signal lights. There is a reason they were designed that way.

Different strokes for different folks but I'd never put these kind of lights on my XCT.
I am not sure I would either, for the reasons you articulate. More so the look. But that is just me. I m sure he loves them, and so he should. He bought them AND had them installed! I had the halogen PIAA's under my forged bars with an HID headlight, illuminated... in the daytime, on my XR, and still got smashed by a temporarily brain dead cager. I have been debating for quite some time on the Clearwater Darla LED lights.... but haven't made the decision yet. (I have the OEM HID in my XC). Heck, It took me forever to finally pull the trigger on Woody's lowers. I still have a few years left for the Darla's. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
What did you find to be such a PITA ?, I've seen some pics of an install that didn't look too bad. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this light kit but for some reason a bit hesitant
If you have actually seen the Video which involves pulling the Fairing , Drilling and Setting in the Epoxy which also needs cure time and don't think it's no biggie, plus like the look by all means Go For it ..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this light kit but for some reason a bit hesitant
If you are hesitating, there is a reason. Your 6th sense is telling you something.

;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts