Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the past couple days Bryman and I have been riding around The Dragon/other NC roads. The heat here has been in the upper 80's and today was 90 degrees! I mention this since I do not know if it contributed to the problem.

Well, the right turn signal started to flake out (worked proper, then would turn off automatically) and today, after a long day of riding, it stopped flashing all together (right signals only). The four way flashers only flash the left side as well.

I called my dealer from my Chicago area (we start our journey back to Chi-town tomorrow) and he thinks the module under the right accessory panel might be fried. So I'll report back next Saturday when I take it to the shop for repair. The bike is new as of 2/29/12 and has about 2300 miles on it when this happened.

Anyone else on the XR/XC/XCT have something similar happen?

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Are the front signals operating OK? If not, it could be in the cancelling device or the flasher relay under the right side cover. Just a thought. Good luck with it and let us know what it was when you find out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a good chance the relay is the cause since the four way flashers only operate the left side. Neither the front right or rear work. I'll let you know. Sort of has wondering though considering the right side is where much of the heat piles up if the relay is the offending part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
turn signal

So the past couple days Bryaman and I have been riding around The Dragon/other NC roads. The heat here has been in the upper 80's and today was 90 degrees! I mention this since I do not know if it contributed to the problem.

Well, the right turn signal started to flake out (worked proper, then would turn off automatically) and today, after a long day of riding, it stopped flashing all together (right signals only). The four way flashers only flash the left side as well.

I called my dealer from my Chicago area (we start our journey back to Chi-town tomorrow) and he thinks the module under the right accessory panel might be fried. So I'll report back next Saturday when I take it to the shop for repair. The bike is new as of 2/29/12 and has about 2300 miles on it when this happened.

My left front turn signal started working off and on sometimes no lights and sometimes just a couple of lights (small leds within the signal itself) when it didn't work at all I could tell by the flasher on my dashboard. I switched the wires from left to right and it is the signal light itself.Could be dangerous when only one led is working because it blinks normal on dash but other drivers can't see it.The good news is it is covered under warrentee. Bad news is nobody has these things in stock so your stuck riding like this untill they come in and be replaced by your dealer or yourself if your handy with a wrench because the light is a sealed unit.Great signal lights when they work but I don't like the idea they can't be fixed out on the road from auto parts store. Mine stopped working at about 10,000 miles.

·
13,002 Posts
Pull your relay and stop at a auto store or a metric bike shop and see if they have one.
Of coarse you check to see your battery cable are tight

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I have an appt at my dealer this Saturday first thing. He says he has some XCT's on the floor and will pull any parts he needs from them. That is good news for me so it should be fixed.

Once I find out what the cause is, I'll post back.

Oh, the intermittent flashing/not flashing started the day before...then they died :mad:

No worries...

·
Registered
20 Posts
My left rear LED turn signal was fried after a 100 miles when I bought mine last October. I had it replaced and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem fixed

It was the turn signal relay (little black box under right panel). The hardest part about fixing it the tech said was that it was riveted on (plastic rivet), so he had to cut it off. Simple fix.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I seem to be having a similar issue. My right rear signal began to flake out. I noticed this because the dash indicator did not work. It would stop working, then when I'd shut the bike of and back on, it would work for a little then stop again. Then the front right stopped working as well. Both right side flashers do not work at all, but the left ones work fine. This is true for both turn signals and hazard lights. Itrider - is this the same issue you had that turned out to be the relay? I'm going to try all of the simple stuff first - negative battery terminal, look for plugs, etc., first, but I'd like to know where to go if that doesn't help. As always, thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
Has anyone found a generic replacement for the flasher module?

Victory wants $70 for one. A blown flasher relay/module can prevent the Cross bikes from starting so I want to keep one in my tool bag. There must be more affordable flasher units available.

Rylan talks about this issue in his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqbvkO5EO8&feature=youtu.be

·
13,002 Posts
Has anyone found a generic replacement for the flasher module?

Victory wants $70 for one. A blown flasher relay/module can prevent the Cross bikes from starting so I want to keep one in my tool bag. There must be more affordable flasher units available.

Rylan talks about this issue in his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqbvkO5EO8&feature=youtu.be

dough you would find a plug and play one. Take a chance and get one off ebay

·
Premium Member
13,161 Posts
dough you would find a plug and play one. Take a chance and get one off ebay
Haven't been able to find one on ebay to fit a 2011 XC. It is a good idea though. Probably go this route to get a replacement for the KP.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add to it in case, like me, someone has this same issue.

I had exactly the same issue as described by the OP. I also had something strange happening to my tail light and by the end of the ride the bottom half was not lit. The next day the tail light was fine but the RH turn signal was still not working.

Since my friend also has a CC we switched out his relay (module, flasher, LED - p/n 4013199) with mine just to test it before I ordered a new one. But in my case the relay did not solve the problem.

I used page 19.9 of the service manual as a basis to diagnose my issue. But since I didn't have a piercing probe I decided to start with the switch. Per the manual, I checked the switch as follows:

TURN SIGNAL SWITCH CONTINUITY TEST:

1. Remove headlamp housing cover (or headlamp on Cross Country models). Locate LH switch 14 Pin connector.

2. Separate connector. Connect ohmmeter to Pin 4 and Pin 5 (RH turn) or Pin 4 and Pin 6 (LH turn) on switch side of connector. Hold switch to left or right and verify good continuity in each position.

Using the above my switch tested ok. While I was there I tested pin 5 on the wiring harness side and got just under 5V. I got the same reading on pin 6 so I knew at least that part of the ECM/wiring was fine.

I did not test the RH turn signal after reconnecting the 14 pin connector, but I wish I had. In the spirit of KISS (keep it simple stupid) I then went to check the negative connection on the battery. It seemed fine but I loosened it and re-tightened it anyway. After doing that, I checked the RH turn signal and it was working. So I'm not sure if disconnecting and reconnecting the 14 pin connector solved the problem or if loosening and re-tightening the negative terminal on the battery solved the problem, but its working now.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
So the past couple days Bryman and I have been riding around The Dragon/other NC roads. The heat here has been in the upper 80's and today was 90 degrees! I mention this since I do not know if it contributed to the problem.

We were down in Maggie Valley and Cherokee at the same time. We rode for 100 miles in such thick fog on the Blueridge parkway, I couldn't see the tail lights of my friends in front of us. It really sucked. We got caught in some nasty down pours. Thank god for boot covers and frog togs :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts