Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like my grips are deteriorating too quickly. I'll give the scenario and maybe you all can weight in.

-Owned the bike almost 2 calendar years
-21,000 miles
-Garage kept
-commutes with me to work daily during the summer, and sits in the sun all day.
-Starting leaving a little black on my hands in Aug '13 (I had only owed it for 14 mo. at the time)
-At this point the grips appear very worn and always leave a lot of black on my hands.

The big question, though grips are normally wear items, should I be talking to corporate?

Thanks

·
13,188 Posts
your grips are gone when they leave the black on your hands.
Guessing they were made with bad rubber

·
Registered
102 Posts
Have 31,000 on my XC heated grips after 3 years they are still looking new.
However, I keep my bike covered when not riding so that may contribute to lack of wear.
Another however, had heated grips on my old 07 8-ball and they were worn after two seasons.
Jack

·
Registered
80 Posts
Must be bad something......have had my 2012 CCT for just over two years with no grip issues at all.
Good luck dealing with Polaris on this.......

·
Super Moderator
6,375 Posts
I had Kuryakyn grips on my GoldWing and they would leave a little residue on my hands even after a few weeks. I started riding with gloves since then, no matter how hot it is. A good pair of ventilated gloves will protect your hands and keep the crap off, too.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I wonder if riding without gloves is harder on the grips, since your hands have oils and sweat and stuff that may break down the grips faster.

·
Registered
293 Posts
It seems like my grips are deteriorating too quickly. I'll give the scenario and maybe you all can weight in.

-Owned the bike almost 2 calendar years
-21,000 miles
-Garage kept
-commutes with me to work daily during the summer, and sits in the sun all day.
-Starting leaving a little black on my hands in Aug '13 (I had only owed it for 14 mo. at the time)
-At this point the grips appear very worn and always leave a lot of black on my hands.

The big question, though grips are normally wear items, should I be talking to corporate?

Thanks
Mine are doing the same with about the same miles. It's a pain in the butt and the black does not come off my hands easy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
the grips on my 2012 CCT are looking worn as well. Just a bit over 30,000 on it now.

I wear gloves almost everytime I ride so I'm not sure that makes much difference.

Unless they wear through I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
That is just one reason why I went with Heat-Demons internal grip heaters. I can use whatever grips I choose and no external wires. If grips deteriorate, I simply change them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is just one reason why I went with Heat-Demons internal grip heaters. I can use whatever grips I choose and no external wires. If grips deteriorate, I simply change them.
Shoot, wish I'd have seen this before I had the $200 OEM's replaced. Good tip!

Grips are wear items, treated like oil filters. Never able to warranty unless a very obvious defect.

I ride without gloves a lot, I bet this has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I had OEM heated grips (or at least the ones the dealer sold as VIC grips) on my Kingpin and my XR. I found the thrrottle would start sticking slightly when the those heated elements started to deteriorate. that is why I went with Avon heated grips this time around and a year and a half later, still all good.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Hit the pavement just once without gloves and you'll wish you had them on. Imagine having skin grafts on your palms and trying to live your life. I know of such a guy. :crzy:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I had replaced the grips mentioned above last April with 21k on them. I now have 15k on this newer set (now 1yr old) and they're doing to same thing. Getting too tacky and leaving black on stuff. I've been riding with gloves since last year, so I doubt it's my skin chemistry.

Surely I'm not the only one out here with a CCT who routinely rides in the cold (high-heat on handgrips). *shrugs* At least I can replace them under warranty, but still have to pay labor.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Shoot, wish I'd have seen this before I had the $200 OEM's replaced. Good tip!

Grips are wear items, treated like oil filters. Never able to warranty unless a very obvious defect.

I have had a couple of those Heat Demon setups.

Had the internal bar ones - not a lot of heat and controller went out after a few months...

And the under the grip heater elements (currently on my Aero) ..Give out more heat, and are holding up okay..

The Vic Handgrips.. Hate to say it Ricz - But Gonna - Much Better.. They get very hot..

Mine are showing wear too, though - less than 10k on my scoot.. I wear gloves, so no biggie..

Theja1 is scooting around the place with these grip wraps.. ??? :cool: ...I might look into something like that?

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
The Vic Handgrips.. Hate to say it Ricz - But Gonna - Much Better.. They get very hot..
No offense taken Mark. I installed Heat-Demons internals when I had the OEM grips and the heat they transmitted was so great I couldn't keep 'em on the high setting. Then I installed the Kury ISO grips and they are very good insulators--not as much heat gets through them. So its a mixed bag depending on what grips you have.:confused:

·
13,188 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have the heat demons and had to pull my new Ness grips cause no heat went through them at all , I opted for some Avon grips and they heat up nicely and are super comfy .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts