Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just wanted to share what I have found with my fluid leaking rear shock.
The background. I purchased the XCT last December with 10,000 Kls (6,250 miles.) and rode it the 1000 Kls home. A couple of days passed and a friend noticed oil under the bike, yes I had the shock leak problem that so many have had, strangely it held air. I went to the local Victory dealer and they didn't want to know me.
I ran it for another 11,000kls and have replaced the shock today. When I got the old shock out I removed the rubber boot and I found what caused the leak. The shock seal surface is scored! so something metallic inside the shock is rubbing on the barrel seal surface and causing this problem.
We only have 3 Cross Countries in my area and two that I know of have had this happen. This problem should have been rectified years ago. Victory are letting the side down not fixing this problem that I feel is a serious safety issue. I don't know about anyone else but I don't like the idea of riding with oil on my rear tyre. Keep your eyes open to this problem on your sleds, it is happening a lot!!!!
I have attached a photo of the scored barrel.
There is a lot of talk about compressors causing this problem but I don't believe it is the main problem after seeing my shock.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
XC rear shock schmatics

Does anyone have the schematics of the internal parts of the rear shock? Is this a mono tube emultion shock or does it have a separate air chamber to the oil damping chamber?
I would like to know what could be causing the scoring.
Has anyone disassembled one of these shocks? I would like to have a look inside and see if this problem can be rectified.

·
13,263 Posts
from the looks of the scoring I would say something on the inside made the marks.
Don't know of any schismatics for the shock don't even know if you can take it apart

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I've seen low mileage take offs on ebay for a ton less than Vic's price for new.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
The factory rear shocks are GARBAGE .

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Traxxion is very popular in the Gold Wing crowd and has a lot of experience with suspension. It may not hurt to contact them and find out what they think. Also $700 for a rebuildable shock isn't bad once you get past the sticker shock.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
The factory rear shocks are GARBAGE .[/QUOTE
Compared to the mega buck shocks, you are right Mags. How-some-ever, if my shock went south, I'd be scoping ebay for that low mileage takeoff at a fraction of the price. I have over 30K miles on mine and (knock wood) there's many more K left. A $700 shock just does not pencil out in my (frugal) book.

·
13,263 Posts
v2blue

do you know how much air was in it before leaking.

I have read that more guys have had failure when running no air in the shock

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory rear shocks are GARBAGE .
I cannot speak of how good or bad the units are but I believe the suspension on the X bikes is a hell of a good design!
I also believe the principal of the shock is very good and it's function is also very good but it's failure rate is garbage and should not be occurring.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
v2blue

do you know how much air was in it before leaking.

I have read that more guys have had failure when running no air in the shock
Hi Johnny, the previous owner was a larger bloke than me and mostly used this bike two up with his handbrake on the back. He was running near the maximum pressure because he liked a firmer ride. My friend who purchased his XCT new always ran higher pressures like 40psi and never ran it with no air, his also failed.
Once I got the bike home I adjusted the pressure to around 25psi because I mostly ride solo and prefer a more comfortable ride, i'm 160lbs in your money or 73 kg in Aussie money.
I have modified suspensions on many bikes i have owned and after checking the amount of rider sag on the XC with no air, I decided it would not function correctly with so much sag.
This was the reason I decided on 25 to 30 psi in the shock. I get around 35mm to 40mm rider sag and to me that is too much but with any more pressure it was too firm so I settled on that.
After seeing the damage on my shock I don't think the zero pressure issue is the overriding problem with so many of these shocks going to sh#t. I believe there is a internal design problem within the shock. I would not bet on my assumptions until I get the shock apart to see how the shock functions internally. I do believe the internal spring is slightly under-sprung as per the amount of rider with a small person as I. If zero air in the shock was causing this problem surely Victory would have issued a warning or corrected the problem by now!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen low mileage take offs on ebay for a ton less than Vic's price for new.
Thanks Ricz, I scored one from a very helpful countrymen of yours:wink

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How 'bout one of these? I hear amazing things about them. For almost $700, they better be amazing :D :D

Victory Shock by Traxxion Dynamics in New Products - Featured - Your #1 Source for US Made, Custom Victory Motorcycle Parts
Hi Borggyr, I had a look at them but I prefer the design of the stock shock. I have an extended air hose thet mounts near the front of the left side cover. This makes it very convenient to check and adjust the pressure. There is nothing to remove apart from the valve cap. We drive on the wrong side of the road down here so is it is safer to get to on the roadside. The extension was a flexible unit some trucks use.

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I also put an extension on the air hose for easier access to the valve. Ma Vic should have thought of that when designing the Cross bikes. I have no complaints about the shock design other than the method used for securing the pivot shaft; that could have been thought out more thoroughly. But it must have been five minutes to quitting time when they started on that design.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I suggest any of you blokes that have replaced your leaky shocks please check the barrel for scores! It's a simple matter of pulling the boot down and having a look. If everyone finds this problem it could send a message to Victory to get KYB (the manufacturer) to rectify the problem.
Also post your findings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all,

I did a bit more with the shock today. I drained the fluid and measured the viscosity with my viscosity Visgage.
The viscosity is very close to one of the suspension fluids I have used, Silkolene Pro RSF, it,s a full synthetic suspension fluid. Now this is not an exact measurement by any means but it is a guide and because my shock has limited miles I consider it close enough for me. The Viscosity was within 5 points of the Silkolene 2.5W.

I'm not sure if it is possible to rebuild this shock as the scoring is possibly too deep to polish out.

The 2.5W is a very thin race fluid that I used in my HD Ultra Classic front forks that have Ricor Interminator (inertia activated valves). I have Fournales oleopneumatic (air spring /oil damping) rear shocks. This all helps with the HD's lack of suspension travel on our rough Nth. Queensland secondary roads.

When I changed the fluid on the NON SERVICEABLE Harley Davidson stock rear air over suspension I used the Silkolene fluids but a heavier viscosity, 5W on my bike and 7.5W on a friends bike who is a larger bloke who needed a bit more damping.

The Harley Touring bikes use a similar rear shock system to the Victory in so far as it has mechanical springs with air preload adjustment. In the Harleys case it is a conventional twin shock system. This suspension was originally used on the earlier Honda Goldwings. Harley chose to say the shocks were un-servicable as Victory has done with the XC shock, but, someone put it together sooooo.:eek

If I don't get anyone to chime in I will make a shock compression tool out of threaded rod and end plates and have a go at separating the shock.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I also believe the principal of the shock is very good and it's function is also very good but it's failure rate is garbage and should not be occurring.
I was referring to the quality , not necessarily the design .:wink

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I cannot speak of how good or bad the units are but I believe the suspension on the X bikes is a hell of a good design!
Well , lets see if you feel that way when your rocker pin welds itself to your rocker shaft and starts rotating inside the soft aluminium frame thus causing severe damage to the frame . While you have it all apart be sure to keep the rocker bearings heavily greased and working freely . Check the pin for wear , and pitting . Im on my third pin with 30K on my bike . Im also not alone with the issue , and was lucky enough to catch it BEFORE it was turning in the frame . Good luck with the new shock Brother !cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well , lets see if you feel that way when your rocker pin welds itself to your rocker shaft and starts rotating inside the soft aluminium frame thus causing severe damage to the frame . While you have it all apart be sure to keep the rocker bearings heavily greased and working freely . Check the pin for wear , and pitting . Im on my third pin with 30K on my bike . Im also not alone with the issue , and was lucky enough to catch it BEFORE it was turning in the frame . Good luck with the new shock Brother !cheers
Wow Bloke thats [email protected] luck. I had no problems with taking the pin out and the pin had wet grease on it. I wish I had known about this while I had it apart, I would have added some more grease.
Oh well another job for a rainy day and we have plenty of those coming soon. The monsoon season is due, we get close to 2 metres of rain a year here and have had 64 inches so far this year so will get a bit more before the end of year.

·
Premium Member
13,731 Posts
It's your call if you want to try and rebuild the rear shock on your XC but I wouldn't bother. Better to get a new or near new replacement considering the scoring. If you have time you might want to update your profile to show what year and model bike you're riding so your readers don't have to try and guess. If you plan on keeping this bike a long time; that Trax shock would be the ****! I'd like to have one myself. It kinda sucks having so many hobbies sometimes. My limited (and whose isn't) funds keep me from getting some of the really cool stuff like that. I'd like to get a really good Penske for the KP too.

I didn't know the oil could be drained and replaced on these. I know it's possible on the FLH Harley air shocks because I've done oil changes on those and felt the improved ride from it. Again, if you get time and you're so inclined, maybe you can take a picture of where the oil plug is or where it can be drained and replaced. I'm sure any X bike with over 40k miles would benefit from a shock oil change.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts