Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swapped out their hard lowers on the XCT with a set of forged bars?

I understand that one would need to find a good home for the power/ipod (one could always install the ipod in the saddlebags) ...but it seems that doing would cool things down for those hot summer months.

After riding a [rented] hardly last summer, my wife and daughter don't want their legs roasted similarly behind those hard lowers on the XCT (I'll be getting one soon).

Love the forum!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Has anyone swapped out their hard lowers on the XCT with a set of forged bars?

I understand that one would need to find a good home for the power/ipod (one could always install the ipod in the saddlebags) ...but it seems that doing would cool things down for those hot summer months.

After riding a [rented] hardly last summer, my wife and daughter don't want their legs roasted similarly behind those hard lowers on the XCT (I'll be getting one soon).

Love the forum!
No I haven't done the swap. Give the XCT a chance. If you open the lowers only two inches and the uppers halfway the ride is not all that hot. The only problem with the forged bars is that you have to contend with the dirty air coming up and making the air around your head annoyingly rough.

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
It doesn't take long to pull the lowers/tube bars. There's a cover for the spot where the upper part of the bar mounts to that's held on with plastic inserts. I think it makes a difference on how it looks with the lowers and bars off.

You can also simply pull the plastic and leave the bars on if having the extra tip over protection is important to you. It's a bit more work to do it this way but I can certainly understand why some folks would choose to do it. Here's a diagram. You basically split to the two halves by removing 4 bolts (I think) and then disconnecting clamps on the bars. Done. Well... except for any wiring in the left lowers. This would be a good time to relocate the ipod cord to the right saddlebag.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's official... those hard lowers make things HOT! Granted, it's been tiple digits sinceI picked up the bike last week (5 days and 600 miles ago). In the mean time, even in the mornin when the temp is around 75-80... the backs for my thighs get steamy. This is at highway speeds.

It's not totally unbearable.. but when I can pony up for the ipod extension (for placement in the saddlebags), I'll be removing those lowers as suggested. That should do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Did I mention how delicious those hard lowers will feel when the temps are lower? cheers

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have a XCT and I have tried the lowers in several different spots to get the right amount air flow and I have to agree that about opened two inches is just about right. On the other hand instead of changing out the lowers for the fordged bars has anyone tried to just remove the hinged part ( part # 1 in the picture ) of the lowers and just let all the air come thru, the air wouldnt be directed by the vent . It might worth trying, who knows it might just work, and then when summers over just put them back in.

If I have time this weekend I might give it a try. I'll report back my findings.

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
The heat comes early and stays later here so I got a chance to find out that much after 90 they start getting warm and over 95 it's uncomfortable so triple digits is out the question; which it is every day here.

I just pull the bars after splitting the front and back pieces to make it easy. I could put the forged bars back on but then I'd lose my fairing deflector so I just install some fork lowers and call it a day until it cools off again in 4 months or so.

Not having the crash bar there doesn't really bother me. I've been riding most of my life without them anyway.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I'm guessing from the satisfied tone that removal of the lowers cools things right down eh? At least as much as a motorcycle can be cooled down?

Perhaps I need to find myself an ipod extension sooner than later....can't do without the tunes.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
566 Posts
Nope, sorry, the turbulence from the forged lowers isn't worth it. Move someplace where the heat doesn't suck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bah! No worries there. The turbulence is bad on my wife's bike. It's set-up for her after all. Yet it's a way more comfortable ride (re:heat), even with the shorty windshield. I'm pretty sure that tour windshield plus some fork lowers (to stretch out the bubble) will make the XCT just fine....and much cooler!

Heck, all the XCs with the med victory w/s (+forged bars) were fine. Some head bobble - but nothing like a naked bike. We shall see for sure.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My bike is a 2011 XC, it came with the forged bars. I added the hard lowers for the wind management. I did this last fall so the added heat was not that bad.
The midwest has been having a severe hot spell and the heat off the bike has almost been enough to make me drive my truck.
This morning, I took the deflectors out of my hard lowers. Took about 20 minutes. (15 minutes to figure out the first one, 5 minutes on the second.)
Took the bike for a 30 mile ride, mixed highway and side roads. The bank said the temp was 97, the bike said 101 on the interstate. (11 am)
The heat was much more tolerable, almost like it was before I put the lowers on. I did not feel lots of dirty air coming up from the motor. I closed my fairing wings, the air bubble was very calm.

Granted, there is still heat off the engine, but this made a ton of difference.

The deflectors can be removed with only taking off the outside covers. Take them off, remove the e-clip from the clevis pin, remove the pin, gently lift the bottom over the locating nipple, gently pull down to remove the deflector. I put the pin back in the deflector, put the e-clip back on it for storage then put the outside cover back on.

Nothing has to be cut or destructed so they can be put back in when fall comes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts