Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my 2015 Cross Country Tour and had the Stage 1 pipes/tuning/air filter installed by the dealer. Rode the bike for a week before with the factory exhaust/tuning and found it very sluggish, but once the new pipes were installed, found a huge difference in the performance.

I am new to all this "tuning" stuff and have been reading allot in the forums about power commanders, adjustable timing, 1/4 turn throttle ring, PCV, ETC.. Any incite on the benefit of all this would be great!! Will the Lloydz ATS work with what has already been added to my XCT? Will the bike need to be retuned if I add the ATS?

Sorry if any of this is redundant and cover elsewhere, just trying to learn..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
put the ats in and go

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
You won't need a retune when adding the ATS if all you have is Stage 1 setup. If you had a PCV, etc a retune maybe wouldn't hurt. The ATS is probably the biggest bang for the buck.

·
13,262 Posts
2015 Cross Country Tour and had the Stage 1 pipes/tuning/air filter installed by the dealer

Hey I would go talk to dealer and find out what pipes they put on and what air filter.

Your bike should not feel sluggish

·
Registered
426 Posts
2015 Cross Country Tour and had the Stage 1 pipes/tuning/air filter installed by the dealer

Hey I would go talk to dealer and find out what pipes they put on and what air filter.

Your bike should not feel sluggish
VJ - he was saying that he rode it stock for a week and it was sluggish, then they did the S1 and she screams.

pretty much what i got out of this is, "Help me spend some money, i just got bit in the ass by the horsepower bug." i know a guy who can write you a prescription man, he just mentioned a cam party about 2 posts up. :devil

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have been working my XCT piece by piece and I have to agree Lloyd's stuff is quite nice. You will find that little bit of extra low end torque with the ATS wheel will be what most say. I added the PCV and I noticed that it just rounded our the smoothness and response all the way through. The pipes and air etc all work together to give one nicer feel. The wheel would be your next step without going big. If you end up wanting more power you will pretty much be looking at cams next. If you are looking at doing cams, hold off on the wheel due to the price includes the cams, timing wheel, PCV etc. Everything you need. The only thing left for me is cams and I sort of wish I didn't do all the rest of the work myself because they do it all for nearly the same price. Be careful, have fun, and just enjoy the ride.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I have been working my XCT piece by piece and I have to agree Lloyd's stuff is quite nice. You will find that little bit of extra low end torque with the ATS wheel will be what most say. I added the PCV and I noticed that it just rounded our the smoothness and response all the way through. The pipes and air etc all work together to give one nicer feel. The wheel would be your next step without going big. If you end up wanting more power you will pretty much be looking at cams next. If you are looking at doing cams, hold off on the wheel due to the price includes the cams, timing wheel, PCV etc. Everything you need. The only thing left for me is cams and I sort of wish I didn't do all the rest of the work myself because they do it all for nearly the same price. Be careful, have fun, and just enjoy the ride.
can't you just have cams and a tune if you have the extra things? Won't they just deduct the cost of those items if you already have them?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
can't you just have cams and a tune if you have the extra things? Won't they just deduct the cost of those items if you already have them?

yes, since they are already there the final price is cheaper

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, you are saving the price of the actual component possibly, but the labor and time you spent is still there either way. So for example, if I wanted cams installed, but I have already put everything else into place, the total cost would be $1600. Lets just use round numbers and slight quotes from my memory, not exact. Just for example purposes. Now that I have installed everything myself except for the cams, for me to get the cams done the quote will be somewhere around $1400. Brings up the question if it is worth spending all the extra time and money for the other pieces when you could have it all done for nearly the same. Like doing a timing belt in a car. Might as well do the water pump since you are right there as well and save the labor and time of doing it again another day. My thought and statement is really geared more towards the time and money difference. So if you are getting cams you are better off just waiting on all the other products as well because you aren't saving that much in reality. I also was looking at which piece added and did what. Now add in another dyno tune in there and you have really racked up the price. If you do it in one install at a cam party, you get a great cut rate on all pieces, the labor and time of one job, and tuned all together. I am sure it works out fine either way, I would just like to point out IF cams were the direction you were going, save your time and money and have it all done at once opposed to being as cheap as me and doing and retuning one piece at a time. :) Parts price probably the same if not eve a little less. Over all price and time, might be worth it. Depends on the owner. I am not sure I would change the way I did it personally because I was experimenting. But maybe for another that hasn't put those pieces on and wants full our HP, then they may want to consider the knowledge of it all being done at once for nearly the same price as just the cams.

·
13,262 Posts
don't bother putting in a PCV cause when you get cams you take off rocker boxes and then you can plug in the PCV way easier

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
don't bother putting in a PCV cause when you get cams you take off rocker boxes and then you can plug in the PCV way easier

i didnt have to touch my pcv when i did my cams

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i just got bit in the ass by the horsepower bug." i know a guy who can write you a prescription man, he just mentioned a cam party about 2 posts up. :devil
Bit by the Horsepower bug?? the man 2 posts above did the cam party special on my bike. All I've thought about since then is that when the XC is paid off, I want another Hammer, but turbo'd this time. :Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input.. I am really not a big HP guy, just think that if there is a way of getting the bike to run at peak performance without a entire rebuild, then why not?! Not sure if CAMs are in my future since I do like the ride I have received with the Stage 1 additions but not against adding the timing wheel and maybe the PCV..

·
Registered
55 Posts
In that case my suggestion would be a fuel tuner to keep the bike running optimum in all gears and speeds. That always feels good and puts a smile on the face. If you would like to add the Lloyd's AT wheel for that little extra torque then you make out all around. I never believed much in the fuel tuners, but after having them on the last couple bikes you can really feel how much more efficient it runs. Plus I love having no hesitation when I need to goose it to get out of the way. Good luck in what ever you decide to do. Sorry if I wasn't much help, but I have gone through most of this myself as well as many others I am sure and hopefully I can help a little and save you a few bucks and trouble along the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts