Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 XCT bought with 3000 miles on it and the starter would always make a grinding noise when it was cold outside. It now has 31,000 miles on it and was still doing it so I had the starter replaced. That solved the problem.

Here is a youtube of the noise it was making and I will attach pictures of what I found inside the starter. It appears the armature was rubbing against the magnets inside. Just to tight I guess.The black at one end is from the brushes so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

Just can't figure out why after all the hundreds of starts it didn't just wear away the two parts that were touching???? Probably could of gotten another 30,000 miles out of it but it was bugging me and would certainly hurt RESALE VALUE.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I my self had the same problem once weather got cold. I removed the starter took apart and cleaned it up and re lubed it now works better then when bike was brand new.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread. I've heard of this starter issue but never heard what it sounded like until your video. Yikes, that does sound awful.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
GAWD!!! Sounds like theres a rooster in there!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
take that armature to a machine shop and have them take .010 off the armature. It should be a good spare at that point.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Yeah...do what Joe recommends and have them clean the commutator and install new bearings while you're at it. A spare is always good to have around.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Starter

This thread is "just getting started"! Maybe he used the wrong engine oil! Ha, ha!
dance 1

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine has done that a handful of times but not on a regular basis and only when very cold, I thought it was feedback of some sort through the speakers, glad I know what it is now. And a good idea as to a solution for it too.

·
13,172 Posts
starters are very easy to rebuild. Brushes and bearing you can get from local shops. Youtube has a bunch of how to's. Once rebuilt some one will be looking for one

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
new one was only $75. on Ebay so I don't think I will repair and keep this one as a spare.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
new one was only $75. on Ebay so I don't think I will repair and keep this one as a spare.

Can I have it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts