Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
how many miles can I expact to get out of them, and did go to other brands that might be better?
About 10k. Michelin makes some bias ply "Commander II" that will fit and supposedly give twice the mileage.

Just remember, in this world there are few free lunches. Everything it gives in longevity it likely takes in grip.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
As a sideline, I sell Victorinox cutlery and am often asked how long will the blade stay sharp? I tell them forever, if you never use it. Your tread will last forever if you never ride. Joking aside, I have seen forum members post tire replacement mileages from 6K to you name it. I have over 13K on my original E3s and my tire man sez there's at least 5K more to go on the rear according to the way I ride, which is smooth. I also monitor the TP often and have a Tire-Gard TPMS.
My record is 22K on a first generation Elite rear back in the early 80s. Even more on the fronts. Tire mileage is too dependent on too many factors for anyone to tell you how many miles to expect. My next tires may be either Cobras or the new Elite MT. The Commander II is tempting, but like Saddle stated.....
My tire man has experienced customers running the Elite MT and Commander II and will be getting reviews soon. Stand by.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
10400 on the dulops and still looking good. almost all 2 up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got 14K on my E3's and they have a few K left! They have lasted longer than any tire I have ever had. Granted, I'm older now and don't beat the bag outta the bike as much as I used to. But, I do ride 2 up a lot. The only thing I don't like about the E3 is how it does on wet grass/wet dirt roads. For this reason, I will give Metzler a try when the E3's finally wear out.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the E3 is how it does on wet grass/wet dirt roads. For this reason, I will give Metzler a try when the E3's finally wear out.
I believe the Metzlers use a harder rubber compound and should be worse in the wet. I've been riding a lot of years and never found a street tire that did well on wet grass or wet dirt. IMHO.

·
Registered
679 Posts
10500 on the E3 Rear, and it was not safe to ride any farther, 8000 on the Metzler, 10200 on Bridgestone. All were the milage when I replaced the rear tire. The Metzler had a "sticker feel in the corners", The Bridgestone a slight amount less "sticky", but (at least in my experience, both were much better than the E3. I just received the 4th tire for the rear for my XC I went with another Bridgestone because it was close to the E3 in milage and much cheaper than the Metzler that had a unacceptable milage. I ordered a set (front and rear) from wingstuff $299.00 delivered to my front door in less than 48 hours. Great price and service from them. I sure wish I could get the "claimed mileage" others are reporting. I do check the tires with weekly full inspection, by that I raise the bike up on my lift rotate the tires and visually inspect for any imperfections. Check the air pressure with a known accurate gauge (snap on tools rotary dial type). I have a Biker Highway TireGard Motorcycle TPMS installed that monitors the tire air pressure and temperature continually while I am riding. I keep 40 psi front and 42 psi rear, ride solo 90% of the time, (my wife rides her own Suzuki C-50) unless we are going on a 2000 mile or longer trip then we ride double on the Vic. I also seek that magic tire that will be acceptable in the performance and give me 25000 miles of range before I have to change it again. Oh and as a side note I use dynabeads and am extremely satisfied with the way they keep the balance and ride great through out the entire life of the tire regardless of the brand. I have never had any cupping or strange wear patterns on any of the tires except the Metzler front than had a cord in the sidewall begin to crack and seperate at less than 1000 miles. I did get a full refund from the seller. and exchanged it for the bridgestone front that has lasted through two of the rear tires.:)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Welcome back Wes, where've ya all been?

·
13,031 Posts
You ex-capect to get poor mileage out of ant tire if you don't keep them filled with air.
Tires are porous rubber so air will ex-cape. the hotter the weather the faster it will ex-cape

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Tires are porous rubber so air will ex-cape. the hotter the weather the faster it will ex-cape
Really????

So I guess this explains why most all of the motorcycle tires I've run loose air but none of the car tires do ???

And my tent trailer... put new tires on when I got it 2 years ago and the pressure is the same today.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
how many miles can I expact to get out of them, and did go to other brands that might be better?
I only got 8,800 out of my rears but got 11,500 out of the front before each was down to the wear bars. I know some ride their past the wear bars but being new to biking, I elected to replace each at that time.

I am frugal so I bought the Avon Cobra rear for $180 and paid $30 to have it mounted and then $155 (mounted) for the front (a Dunlop E3). Why the mix match...because they were both on sale and I saved around $200 and feel that both are good, comparable tires with no concerns about performance

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
You will lose air with temp changes. When the temp drops you lose, temp rises so does pressure. I aired my tires in april, and havent changed since. I too am going to need tires soon and will not be using the dunlops. I have been having wet traction issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
511 Posts
I currently have 7,800 miles on my stock E3 tires right now and they have lots of tread left. I feel they will get 20,000 and then need to be replaced. Both the front and rear tires are wearing great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got 13.7K out of the stock E3's. Still had tread but the rear was cupping badly even though I had maintained correct air pressure (as per the label on the frame neck) throughout the life of the tire.

I went with a set of Michelin Commander II's and after 3K I like them a lot. I feel more more confident on wet roads than I had with the E3's and the bike seems to handle a little smoother (but that may be due to just having new tires).

I was skeptical of them because I had not had good luck with Michelin car tires but am very pleased with them. Paid $355 to buy them & have them mounted & balanced.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Time for tires - XR

My XR has about 11.5k miles on it now, and i'm about ready for tires. Front tires are dry-rotting in the tread groves, and rear tire has very little tread in the middle and looks like this: \__/
I guess three 2k mile trips to the dragon will do that.

I was pretty satisfied with the stock E3s, except for wet performance on turns and tar snakes. Could you all tell me the pros/cons of the different options out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
My XR has about 11.5k miles on it now, and i'm about ready for tires. Front tires are dry-rotting in the tread groves, and rear tire has very little tread in the middle and looks like this: \__/
I guess three 2k mile trips to the dragon will do that.

I was pretty satisfied with the stock E3s, except for wet performance on turns and tar snakes. Could you all tell me the pros/cons of the different options out there? Thanks.
I deal with an indy shop that services mostly heavy cruisers and Wings and they strongly recommend Avon Cobras. They have been in biz a long time and have had good customer feedback re Cobras. They will be my next tires.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've now got 20,000 miles on my factory Dunlop EIII's and I've got a set of new Avon Cobra's sitting in my garage waiting on me to get time to install them. 20,000 miles is a lot of miles on a set of motorcycles tires so you have to be happy about that. But in reality the rear was bald by 18,000 miles. And they have really ridden like crap since about 12,000 miles. They have been following grooves in the road badly since the 11,000 mile mark. And I have never been really happy with the wet traction of the Dunlops.

I've always gotten really good mileage out of my Dunlop Elite III's but I've usually liked the way Avon Cobra's handle better and I am more confident with them in the rain. So I am willing to give up a little mileage to be more satisfied with the performance but that is because I am typically a very aggressive rider. In the end of the day 20k miles on a set of motorcycle tires is still really good.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts