Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 13 XCT and when I was cleaning it the other day, I noticed there were spots on the trunk light that were flaking off. I could scratch it off with my fingernail or even the microfiber towel. Any ideas on what may be causing this and what steps can be taken to address the matter? The picture shows me pointing to the spots on the light. Probably half of the light appears to have been impacted.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I own a 13 XCT and when I was cleaning it the other day, I noticed there were spots on the trunk light that were flaking off. I could scratch it off with my fingernail or even the microfiber towel. Any ideas on what may be causing this and what steps can be taken to address the matter? The picture shows me pointing to the spots on the light. Probably half of the light appears to have been impacted.

I’ve had to use rubbing compound & rattle can clear coat on mine. Got tired of redoing it, ordered a new one. 129$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yeah it's some sort of clear coat. I noticed my 2012 is coming off too.
What happens when it all comes off?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My 13 is doing the same. I have used the headlight restore kit from Plastix and some kind of "sealer" they have for the hazy headlights after you polish them out.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but what's the point in having clear coat on a light?
I have not seen this before.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I would say it's to protect the finish of the plastic.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Well it already has light scratches from use. I just mean is this something I need to care about or can I leave it off?
I assume the light is sealed inside with rubber gasket of some kind so this really shouldn't be a thing to be concerned about but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Well it already has light scratches from use. I just mean is this something I need to care about or can I leave it off?
I assume the light is sealed inside with rubber gasket of some kind so this really shouldn't be a thing to be concerned about but I don't know.
Yes, the light is sealed with gasketing material - probably permanent such that the light cannot be opened. At least the tail/brake light assembly is done in this manner. Whether or not you worry about the trunk light depends on whether it develops the peeling.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yes, the light is sealed with gasketing material - probably permanent such that the light cannot be opened. At least the tail/brake light assembly is done in this manner. Whether or not you worry about the trunk light depends on whether it develops the peeling.
3rd post in this thread. Mine is already coming off. I've never seen this coating on other lights so that was my question if it really matters or not.
I guess I'll find out since I don't plan to redo it.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
I am Amaized about this quality ... Sorry to see this, my CCT is '14 and 3 LED bulbs are not working, CRAZYYYYYY

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 2015 XCT is doing the same thing. I'm not worrying about it. Most of it is gone now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
One LED on my top box light drops out occasionally but most times it's okay. Obviously not a situation that will get any better as it ages though!:laugh

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I replaced my light as well because it looked like shi5 after a while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can also try one of those kits for headlight restoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
433 Posts
I always at least apply Paint Sealer to car lights and hit them with some wax too. That is some of the worst flaking I have seen on a modern bike light.

I am almost 100 percent sure the same manufacturer is making the Indian Trunks. You should ask them what they want us to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts