Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed the factory XM radio on my bike yesterday and everything went well and worked as it's supposed to .

Today while out a ride I noticed that I lose signal under trees , not a bunch of trees like riding in the mountains. Prior to this I used my Garmin 665 with XM and it worked good around town and everywhere else we ride with the exception of up in the mountains. While riding in the mountains once or twice a year was no big deal as we just switched over to the music stored on a SD card inside the garmin.

Anyhow I know the antenna needs a clear view of the sky and right now its attached to the radio mount as thats the way it comes. So for all of you that relocated the antenna where did you put it for the best results .

Also has anybody had any luck with the XM antenna made for motorcycles like this one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-Satellite-Radio-Motorcycle-Antenna/dp/B002HTRELU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8[/ame]

One more question , what type of devise are being used for putting music on a SD card and playing it threw the AUX cable. Dont want to use my phone and this would only be for when the XM goes out.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dent Dave, twice now on two different bikes, my water proof Garmin XM antenna got wet and quit working in the middle of nowhere. Now, using the USB extension cable that comes with Garmin XM antennas, and some heavy duty velcro, my antenna is mounted inside, to the top of my tourpack. - Mike

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have my XM antenna under the front fairing on a plate similar to an amp rack. It get's decent reception most of the time but not all of the time. I wish there was another option but I guess it is what it is. I switch over to phone or FM when I loose XM for large chunks of time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I started with my XM antenna mounted on top of the radio on a plate - reception was so bad is one of the reasons that I moved it into my tour pack. - Mike

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Mine is placed on the upper black plastic piece of the fairing under the windshield cutout just off to the side. Works well and barely visible.

·
Registered
108 Posts
After losing 2 Garmin XM antennas to rain, I'd be hesitant to put the antenna out in the open. - Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts