Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this link is from one of those deal a day sites.

It's an XM car radio, unit, dock, antenna and enough wiring to get it hooked up. It's an Onyx which is maybe 3/4 of an inch thick. You choose an FM freq on your radio and this transmits through it. I have buds that adapted these to Harleys and they were pretty clean looking. I hear that they aren't hard to use underway.

Comes with the car kit which you would need to adapt to your preferred location. Use your imagination. Of course it ain't waterproof and whatnot but it pops right out of its dock or you could figure out a workaround for weather.

Just saying 20 clams, free pick up at your neighborhood Best Buy. If you worry about the rain buy a spare.

XM radio clickety click

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm getting ready to fire XM. There is no commercials, but the disc jockies talk way too much.

There are lots of different internet radio stations to listen to for free or payed like Pandora.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
There are lots of different internet radio stations to listen to for free or payed like Pandora.
Yep...but the problem is that your XM can pretty much be listened to "anywhere"...I've already tried the Pandora, iRadio, Internet stuff on my smartphone...SPOTTY reception, and sometimes NO RECEPTION is a deal breaker to me.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
That's why they have many types of music players.

·
Registered
539 Posts
We tried one of these transmit to FM type Sirius Radio things back few years ago. It wasn't this particular one but it was the same principle. It was a Starmate that Sirius was selling. When traveling it was just as difficult to find a FM station you could transmit to as it was to find a local radio station to listen to. If it has a audio output that woudl be a better way to wire it into your system. Maybe they are better now, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We tried one of these transmit to FM type Sirius Radio things back few years ago. It wasn't this particular one but it was the same principle. It was a Starmate that Sirius was selling. When traveling it was just as difficult to find a FM station you could transmit to as it was to find a local radio station to listen to. If it has a audio output that woudl be a better way to wire it into your system. Maybe they are better now, your mileage may vary.
I agree
I've had a XM receiver for about 10 years. It's a tune to the radio station type. Finding the empty frequency can be challenging in the bigger city areas.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm getting ready to fire XM. There is no commercials, but the disc jockies talk way too much.

Depends where you ride. Get outside the cities or major highways and you may have a hard time getting phone reception at all, let alone good enough to stream music.

I've been a long time subscriber to XM and have tried a few radios and was not overly impressed by the sound quality of piping it into a radio's FM receiver, but maybe things have improved since then. Then again, if you're listening to it through fairing mounted speakers at 75 mph the fidelity ain't so great anyway, so the loss thru the FM receiver interface may be imperceptable. For $20 you can't hardly go wrong experimentin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts