Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Looking for some input on what kinda of exhaust riders have added and how they are working out for them. I have been through the forums and read on about the Tri Ovals, Bassani, and Thunderhead exhausts though I am still not sure on what to aim for purchasing. Videos on Youtube are a great help but are hard to compare due to the recordings.

I ride to work everyday in the DC Metro area on the HOV and have to deal with people oblivous to the fact that I am next to them. Just this past Saturday as I was going in for some overtime a SUV on I95 almost clipped the tail of my bike. They immediatly pulled back in to their lane right before they touched my bike. Incidents like this happen a lot on the highway and I am looking for something that people in cars will hear and notice I am around them. Am I under the right impression that a louder exhaust would help a bit in situations like this? or am i being naive?

Reasons I havent jumped on anything as of yet is that I dont want to spend the money on something to quiet or something to loud were you cant hear your self think.

thanks and appreciate the input.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Hi All,

Looking for some input on what kinda of exhaust riders have added and how they are working out for them. I have been through the forums and read on about the Tri Ovals, Bassani, and Thunderhead exhausts though I am still not sure on what to aim for purchasing. Videos on Youtube are a great help but are hard to compare due to the recordings.

I ride to work everyday in the DC Metro area on the HOV and have to deal with people oblivous to the fact that I am next to them. Just this past Saturday as I was going in for some overtime a SUV on I95 almost clipped the tail of my bike. They immediatly pulled back in to their lane right before they touched my bike. Incidents like this happen a lot on the highway and I am looking for something that people in cars will hear and notice I am around them. Am I under the right impression that a louder exhaust would help a bit in situations like this? or am i being naive?

Reasons I havent jumped on anything as of yet is that I dont want to spend the money on something to quiet or something to loud were you cant hear your self think.

thanks and appreciate the input.
You might want to also consider the D&D Boss slip-ons. Top quality, and to my ears, they sound great. thumb up

You should try to listen to the pipes you buy in person, before you buy them. Hopefully forum members in your area will offer to let you hear theirs.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have Bassani slipons, I love them partially because they are NOT too loud. They do bark when you ask them to tho!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Tons of choices out there, I put on a set of re-cored factory mufflers that have a glass pack in them. Sound great, not to loud but not to quiet either but I do have some popping every now and then. If I was to do it again I think I would have save up a few more benjamins and got the D&D because I love the looks of them and most people who have them like the exhaust note. Heck, I may still end up getting the D&D's later on.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I also have the glasspack stuffed stock pipes and i like them, most of the time they are about perfect, but once in a while they could be a tad louder.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If you want to go with loud pipes save lives have at it.

I go with louder than stock pipes make me happy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate the replies.

Looking over everything there were a few more options I wasn't aware of. Going to look in to these new options and do some comparrisons.

Thanks,

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went for a ride on a 2013 with Tri-Ovals at the dealer. I absolutely love the rumble they have. Well worth the $1000 in my mind.

It will be the first upgrade I make at the 600 mile checkup.

Every bike I've ever purchased, I have always put a new exhaust on them within the first couple of months of ownership. Choppers with Pro-pipes, Metrics with V&H, etc. Out of everything I have experienced to date, the Tri-Ovals are probably the best sounding pipes I've heard.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just went with the Tri-Ovals. I don't care for "loud pipes" anymore. I wanted something that had a nice throaty sound at idle and open up when twisting the throttle. I like to be able to hear my tunes when cruising and not get a headache. I think they are "a little" louder than stock when cruising but not "a lot" louder. So far I think these are the perfect pipes for me. I bought them "blind" basically I went off of the videos and the dealer Tech's recommendation. I have no regrets. thumb up

As far as loud pipes and the morons noticing you... if people can hear you then obviously they should know you are there. Would "I" choose a pipe based on loudness so they know I'm there? No I wouldn't. As stated above, I don't want pipes giving me a headache. I hear what you’re saying about cages coming over, not knowing you’re there, etc. I honestly believe if you’re running into these situations on a "regular basis" you need to relook at your safety practices; don’t sit in their blind spots, give yourself more distance, etc, etc. When you’re on a bike you will be dealing with a lot of morons out there. BL, ride safe and expect the unexpected. Sorry to "preach" to you but don’t just get a set of “loud” pipes for the main purpose of letting the morons hear you. If you want loud because you like loud then go for it. BTW, yes I've been down this same road, bought the pipes and have regreted my purchase.

Good luck in your search and as other's have stated, go and listen to a few before commiting.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I did my mufflers myself and it was about $60-70 for a pair of glasspacks, the rest was just my time.

·
Registered
870 Posts
i have the tri oval pipes on my xr and like them they r not to loud and has a nice rumble to them when u get on them

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the Bassani slip ons, like them however if I had it to do over I'd have the tri-ovals. Haven't heard them in person but from what I can tell from YouTube vids they sound close to same, I just really love the look of the tri-ovals. I wish thunderheader comes out with a pipe for my bike... When/If they do I'll be first in line for em.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I did my mufflers myself and it was about $60-70 for a pair of glasspacks, the rest was just my time.

Well that and 30 bucks worth of band clamps and 10 bucks worth of extension tube. I agree though. A 100 dollar set of glasspacks. I still can't get over how cool that is.

There's a guy on YouTube (no offense to that guy) that cuts both ends of the barrel off, then whanged on it for awhile with a cold chisel and maul attempting to pull the liner until the ends look like they been through a rock crusher, then split the barrel stem to stern so he could scrape the liner out. So he turned that project into a whole day affair and was half done. Apparently he liked that method so much on the one side that next day he repeated it on the other. It cost that guy about a day and a half and of a roll of squirt wire more than most to get that sound.

I can watch that battle over and over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Big Honkers on mine, love them.

Easy to fit and sound good to my ears. Keeps the Kangaroos away as well.

A little popping if not fully off the throttle but no big deal really.

Enjoy the ride :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just upgraded from stock to Centerfire exhaust and a stage 1 mapping. So far, they sound great. Nice, deep rumble that fades when cruising, but wakes up nice when you get on it. Haven't done longer than a 1 hr ride with thm on yet. Maybe this weekend. Will update if I change my opinion.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I also have the Ness Big Honkers and love them. Pretty loud, but good sound. I suggest PC-V and air filter too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts