Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The XR comes from factory with a Bias front Elite 2 and Radial rear Elite 3. Towards the end of last season I changed the rear out to another E3 and now I'd like to change the front.

I'd like to stick with Dunlop Elites and I can get the front as an Elite 3 series in either Bias or Radial ply. Given that the bike comes with a Bias front, should I stick with Bias or should I change to Radial. Pros? Cons?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I thought both front and rear came as a radial tire. My replacements are E3 and both are radial. I would get radial.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the elite 3 radial on my front and it is fine. I believe it came with one new, but I could be wrong.

·
13,188 Posts
running 2 radials will give you a smoother ride.
you never can run radial up front and bias in the rear.
The bike will not track right or handling will be off.

Vic must of run out of radial tires when they built the bikes. It makes no cents to have mix matched tires. The cross country and cross roads are basically the same bike so why the tire difference

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pelz and Visionjohnny

I'll try out the Elite 3 Radial on the front. If you don't hear from me by the end of this season, it didn't work out well so call 911.

I find it quite strange that the XR came with a mix Radial/Bias and the XC comes with both Radials. If I ever find out, I'll post it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I have used Avon and Mezler on my Honda. Recently my cousin talked me into trying Michelin Commander II. I loved these tires. I am think of putting these on my Vic when the time comes along with a 90 degree stem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, a lot of people on here in other threads have good things to say about the Avon and Commanders however they don't carry the same weight rating as the Elites and the E's have been pretty good to me.

I contacted the head techs at a few Victory shops and they said they didn't know about the Radial/Bias on the XRs and told me to contact the manufacturer. I called VIC and they told me that they don't have any notes or guidance that I shouldn't put a radial on or why the XR has a bias in the front and told me to contact the techs at the Victory shops.

After all said and done, more was said than done and the radials are on order.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Why the hell would anyone mix them. Handling has to be an issue

·
Registered
141 Posts
Spoked rims, which require inner tubes, are traditionally wrapped in bias-ply tires. That makes the radial on the rear the odd choice. There's no negative affect on handling with the OEM set-up.
I've been told that the E2 has a more "classic" tread pattern for the more "classic" looking XR, and that's the reason for the E2 front tire from the manufacturer. I choose to believe it. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Ah thanks for the info Johnny

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi,

The XR comes from factory with a Bias front Elite 2 and Radial rear Elite 3. Towards the end of last season I changed the rear out to another E3 and now I'd like to change the front.

I'd like to stick with Dunlop Elites and I can get the front as an Elite 3 series in either Bias or Radial ply. Given that the bike comes with a Bias front, should I stick with Bias or should I change to Radial. Pros? Cons?
I take it you have the XR not the spoke rim classic? Tube tired wheels are generally Bias Ply. Put a radial up front and the XR and XC are actually the same bike.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No, I have the spoke rim classic XR
I will have to dip out on this one A team. I didn't know you could put a radial on a spoke rim. Good luck.

·
Registered
415 Posts
In the olden days when radial motorcycle tires were in their infancy the frames of bikes weren't designed to cooperate with radial tires. Using radials on both the front and the back led to unwanted handling issues so it was typical to run a bias on the front and a radial on the back. This combination yielded no benefits other than bragging rights that you ran a radial tire. Skip forward to the 21st Century...

All modern bikes (with maybe the exception of HD) have chassis/suspensions that were developed and tested using radial tires. Using a combination of bias/radial more than likely will not cause any issue in handling. Given that you're using spoke wheels if you find bias tires that are less expensive I don't really see a problem but you won't hurt anything running radials front and rear.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a XR classic and yes it does come w bias front and radial rear. My friend has a new 2014 Indian chieftain and his bike is the same way with a bias front and radial rear. So who knows why Polaris is doing it. Chieftain doesn't have spoke wheels.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts