Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My driving lights stay on with either low or high beam. In Massachusetts, the lights are supposed to go out when the high beam is selected. So I went to the dealer and first the service manager said that he did not now it was a law??? Then a tech says that he runs his bike with the driving lights on for better visability. I agree with that, but how do we make it leagal and he says that they may have to tie the wires in differently???

I left at that point as I was not sure if they really knew what to do and I do not want my wiring all hacked up. My main concern is getting it inspected each year.

Do all of the cross roads Classic driving lights stay on with either beam? Does anyone know how this should be fixed or is the tech right and the wiring needs manilipulation? Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Frequently motorcycles are exempt from many lighting regulations as additional lighting improves visibility of the motorcycle and and thereby increases rider safety. I don't know if this would be the case with this particular equipment in your particular state.

If I were concerned, I'd either consult a copy of the state code regarding vehicular lighting or perhaps a motorcycle safety instructor.

I'm sorry, I know that doesn't help with your wiring question. And I'm sure you're familiar enough with your local laws. Wouldn't hurt to see it in writing tho, right?

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Over the decades, I have added lighting I knew was "illegal" and only got pulled over once in over 60 years of riding. The cop said they were illegal--I said they were there for conspicuity and if you want to write me a ticket for them, I'll chalk it up to a life insurance premium. He didn't write the ticket.
If it wasn't for Americans railing against unreasonable laws back in the mid 1700s, the Queen's kisser would be on our money. Get my point?

·
Registered
938 Posts
My fog lights stays on either hi or low beam

·
Registered
611 Posts
In most if not all states, driving lamps may come on with highbeams but must turn off with low. Fog lamps are exactly the opposite. In many states motorcycles are limited to a "primary" headlight with 2 bulbs max so claiming the driving lamps are part of your headlight array also wouldn't work. I agree that most cops won't bother you about it unless you get stopped for something else and he's being a dick.

That said, to wire it correctly you would need to trace the 12v+ wire to your switch and move it so that it takes it's power from the highbeam 12v+. The best option would be to wire it to the output side of the highbeam switch but you could also get the power directly from the line going to the bulb.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I connected my LED running lights to the power connector that would have been used for the factory light bar. I bought the Vic switch that would be used for the light bar, and installed it in the Vic switch bracket which I am using for heated grips. it had an unused spot for the light bar switch. Thus, the only difference between my bike and a bike set up with factory running lights is my choice of bulbs and their location. They stay on all the time unless I physically switch them off. I have them aimed so that they go no farther than the low beam, thus they wont blind oncoming traffic. If running lights needed to be switched so they were off with low beams, Vic would not be able to offer the light bar. I had a similar set up on my old Vulcan, which I ran for close to 12 years with no problems from the law.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I usually don't bother inspecting my bikes because our inspection stickers are stapled to registration and not stuck on bike. If you like the way the lights are wired right now i would leave them that way and when you get it inspected if it fails i would put it on a seperate switch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts