Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would prefer not to burn a lot of $$ for a new cap. Can the cap be rotated to make it easier to get the fuel in? Would the cap sty open if turned 90 or 180 degrees.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It can't be done very easily. While it appears to have a symmetrical 5 screw spacing, 3 of the screws are different.... so unless you get really serious, it stays where it is.

Larry

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Only three screws hold the gas cap to the tank - the front one and the 2 rearward screws. The 2 on the side are just dummy screws.

I ended up putting up the cash for a Ness cap. Glad I did, also.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
no it cannot be rotated, i got the ness cap also, direct cycle parts has them for $118 shipped

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
yea that's a lot of money for a gas cap. but I filled up today and cursed under my breath.. no wait.. I cursed out loud when filling the tank. I may just bite the bullet. Broggy.. did you get the chrome one ? They have a black one don't they ?

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
it's nit hard VCC, it's a pain in the ass. Stupid design. I found that filing it from left side was easier. But they should have had the cap flip towards the front. Maybe the engineer looked at his design drawings upside down?:ltr:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i got the black beveled one also ImageUploadedByMO Free1427152206.297467.jpg

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
it's nit hard VCC, it's a pain in the ass. Stupid design. I found that filing it from left side was easier. But they should have had the cap flip towards the front. Maybe the engineer looked at his design drawings upside down?:ltr:
I think I remember someone removing the hinge part, so they could remove the gas cap entirely. That would be a cheaper option and you wouldn't have to deal with it being in the way anymore

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Hmm that's right, I remember somebody removing the hinge pin? Then you still have the lock.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
I pull up with the pump to the right of the bike, get off and fuel up from the right side of the bike. The only irritation I experience is from that damn bellows on the nozzle, but I came up with a cure for that; a non marring plastic clip I made that holds it back.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah the Ness cap is pricey.....but I ride my bike alot (about 25K a year) so I spend alot of time at the pump. On a long trip that expensive gas cap will make life so much easier.....never regretted buying it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Yeah the Ness cap is pricey.....but I ride my bike alot (about 25K a year) so I spend alot of time at the pump. On a long trip that expensive gas cap will make life so much easier.....never regretted buying it.
I agree 100%. we ride 2-300 mile lunch rides every weekend and at least one long trip to the mountains. The Ness cap is just easier,and it look s great.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
well I bit the bullet and got one. a lock is not entirely critical. If someone is going to steal something from the bike it will be a lot more than gas anyway.

·
Registered
693 Posts
What seems to be the issue? I had some "splash" issues early on with mine, but I just bring the bike up with the pump on the left side and have the nozzle come from the front/clutch side. No issues at all.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
no issue really.. just the cap is a PIA to many. just a matter of what annoys you or not. For me I do not like the way the cap flips. if it was movable I would have it flip to the front. I have a cup holder that gets in the way and I just don't like having to screw with it. So for me, I want to try something different, and stylish :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
no issue really.. just the cap is a PIA to many. just a matter of what annoys you or not. For me I do not like the way the cap flips. if it was movable I would have it flip to the front. I have a cup holder that gets in the way and I just don't like having to screw with it. So for me, I want to try something different, and stylish :)
Gotcha. When I get around to the new fender and bags on mine and repaint it, I'm going to probably be going with one like this instead:

http://www.kewlmetalstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_151&products_id=594

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I like that cap as well. But the black is $225 yikes!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts