Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 XR with 15k on the clock and I love it. It has performed flawlessly, but since day one I've noticed that when I am slowing down, when the motor slows to around 1500-1600 RPM's there is a very noticable lurch in the otherwise smooth deceleration. It almost feels like the transmission has just shifted to a lower gear on its own. This is always bothersome but it is more than a little bit alarming if I'm in the middle of turning a sharp corner and haven't begun to roll on the throttle yet. And if the "downshift" occurrs just as I'm rolling on the throttle the ride is anything but smooth. I recently rode a 2012 XC & XR in Daytona and they both seemed to do the same thing but it was very subtle compared to what I'm experiencing. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
same thing with mine. probably another little quirk. feels
almost like a split second of neutral.feel it mostly in second
gear.little weird but you get used to it. i will ask my service
guy.

·
13,026 Posts
You guys are not blipping the throttle now are you

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have a 2010 XR with 15k on the clock and I love it. It has performed flawlessly, but since day one I've noticed that when I am slowing down, when the motor slows to around 1500-1600 RPM's there is a very noticable lurch in the otherwise smooth deceleration. It almost feels like the transmission has just shifted to a lower gear on its own. This is always bothersome but it is more than a little bit alarming if I'm in the middle of turning a sharp corner and haven't begun to roll on the throttle yet. And if the "downshift" occurrs just as I'm rolling on the throttle the ride is anything but smooth. I recently rode a 2012 XC & XR in Daytona and they both seemed to do the same thing but it was very subtle compared to what I'm experiencing. Any thoughts???
Same thing on my Vision. I believe it's in the way the fuel map is designed for it's "lean cutout" that helps burn carbon from the catalytic converters. It's a transition from ultra lean to normal, or the other way around.... It can be mitigated with a PC5.

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's the ECM shutting down fuel to comply with EPA regs. The way all Victorys run, since '08 anyway. Applying throttle at 1500 rpms is lugging the engine and it's definately not pleasant.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have it also - think it is the slack of the belt and play in the tranny - it happens when you are no longer engine breaking - the lurch is when the "slack" goes back to forward pulling at that given rpm.

Thats what I think it is......

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
What does "blipping the throttle" refer to? Never heard that term...
Before you downshift, you rev the engine so that when the lower gear engages it doesn't put a big load on the system which has the same effect i.e. it will cause the engine to rev, but may also cause the rear wheel to lock up and slide around.

Sport bike mfgs have decided to help their riders by putting slipper clutches on their wares. It is a mechanical means of preventing the rear wheel from locking up on a downshift.

If you're not apt to bang through the gears at high revs, it's of little consequence.

One of the cooler applications I've seen is on the newer 370Z. They have some detection device that revs the engine for the driver as he shifts down. Really cool system. I find it harder to blip a car effectively than a bike.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
What does "blipping the throttle" refer to? Never heard that term...
It means giving the throttle a twist between upshifts and down shifts. That helps the rotating parts reach matching RPMs when the clutch is engaged.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It means giving the throttle a twist between upshifts and down shifts. That helps the rotating parts reach matching RPMs when the clutch is engaged.
Ahhh... we always called that r'n down. us getto punks from south central gots are own lingo, dig?

:crzy:cheers:crzy:

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Ahhh... we always called that r'n down. us getto punks from south central gots are own lingo, dig?:crzy:cheers:crzy:
I tend to speak and write the Queen's English and find ghetto speak rather quaint.=) Then again, we Northwesterners are like vanilla ice cream, while the rest of the nation are the other 30 flavors.thumb up

·
Registered
810 Posts
I tend to speak and write the Queen's English and find ghetto speak rather quaint.=) Then again, we Northwesterners are like vanilla ice cream, while the rest of the nation are the other 30 flavors.thumb up
well, my friend, quaint I aint!! I think that all that rain up there washes all the flavors away, all that's left is the vanilla!! :ltr:

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
well, my friend, quaint I aint!! I think that all that rain up there washes all the flavors away, all that's left is the vanilla!! :ltr:
You got that right, bro. We may not have 8%+/- sales tax, but we do have rain, rain, rain. All the time it rains. Wanna come up for the Oregon Rain Festival? It begins on Jan.1 and runs to Dec.31. Wanna know what the best rain gear is, ask an Oregonian. We don't get tan, we rust.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Which is why it makes no sense to do this during an upshift, as your revs fall in a taller gear. In fact, in 5th and 6th gear, I just close the throttle and shift up without using the clutch. One can do it in lower gears too, but there it jerks a little.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Which is why it makes no sense to do this during an upshift, as your revs fall in a taller gear. In fact, in 5th and 6th gear, I just close the throttle and shift up without using the clutch. One can do it in lower gears too, but there it jerks a little.
You are right about the upshifts in higher gears....didn't think about, been riding so long that as I do so many things by motor instinct.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had a '79 CR 250 with a factory works motor, that thing was so strong you had to sit with your balls on the gas cap just to try to keep the front end on the ground. I rarely used the clutch, til I sent a gear tooth thru the side of the case!! :ltr:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts