Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my lowers today and installed them. I was wondering where is the best palce to start from. I started with the bottom of the lowers even with the bottom of the shield. The bottom of the mount is 2 1/2 inches above the lower triple tree bracket. They are as far back as they can go without hitting the engine guard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same setup on my XR's....same lowers as you, works well for me :cool:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get out for a few hours yesterday. They definently help but there was a pretty good wind blowing so it was hard to tell how well they worked. I ended up reducing the rearward angle a bit to see if it makes things better or worse.

Here are some pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I was able to get out for a few hours yesterday. They definently help but there was a pretty good wind blowing so it was hard to tell how well they worked. I ended up reducing the rearward angle a bit to see if it makes things better or worse.

Here are some pics
I mounted mine lower, like these:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading your post I did look for an XR with lowers. These are the OEM lowers which are a lot longer. I will try moving them down but I also don't want to take too much air off the motor either. After all, it is a motorcycle, I expect some wind but just want to get rid of the bobble head effect.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
After reading your post I did look for an XR with lowers. These are the OEM lowers which are a lot longer. I will try moving them down but I also don't want to take too much air off the motor either. After all, it is a motorcycle, I expect some wind but just want to get rid of the bobble head effect.
Without them, there was a jet stream that came from under and rocked my helmet like a hurricane. With them, that stream is now a dry creek bed.

Going fast enough or on a windy day, the wind around all the shielding will still cause some bobbling, but it's a lot better than it was. I typically ride with a 3/4 helmet with the visor open and I get plenty of air and a few flying creatures that like to examine my face.

The best one I ever had occurred on a demo ride a few weeks back. I took out a High Ball and was doing my best thug impression when a bee flew up my snout. It's hard to look tough when your prying a fuzzy little pollinator out of an orifice at 40 mph. I was surprised how well he fit in there. Almost fit him like a sleeping blanket.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The best one I ever had occurred on a demo ride a few weeks back. I took out a High Ball and was doing my best thug impression when a bee flew up my snout. It's hard to look tough when your prying a fuzzy little pollinator out of an orifice at 40 mph. I was surprised how well he fit in there. Almost fit him like a sleeping blanket.
I hope it was a small bee :rolleyes: I get this image of a huge bubble bee sticking out of a Jimmy Durante snoz :ltr:

I took your advice and moved them down to below the lower triple tree brace. Look better?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I hope it was a small bee :rolleyes: I get this image of a huge bubble bee sticking out of a Jimmy Durante snoz :ltr:

I took your advice and moved them down to below the lower triple tree brace. Look better?
I don't know about looks, but hopefully, they will perform better for you. What did they cost? Vic robbed me for like 3 bills for theirs. The parts man told me Victory was "very proud" of their wind deflectors. That was the first time I heard that phrase. Made me laugh as I handed over my wallet.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know about looks, but hopefully, they will perform better for you. What did they cost? Vic robbed me for like 3 bills for theirs. The parts man told me Victory was "very proud" of their wind deflectors. That was the first time I heard that phrase. Made me laugh as I handed over my wallet.
More looks as in position.

You'll probably not want to hear this but here is the invoice from Cruiser Customizing

The following items have been shipped out today by CruiserCustomizing.com:
Product # Item Description Qty Your Price Total Price
MEM9890 Lowers Mounting Kit - VTX1800 1 $56.95 $56.95
MEP5810 Memphis Lowers Clear 1 $24.95 $24.95
Sub-total $81.90
Shipping/Handling $8.95
Tax $0.00
Total $90.85

I ordered it on the 17th and it was sitting on my door step on the 19th. Overall I was pleased with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts

You'll probably not want to hear this but here is the invoice from Cruiser Customizing

Sub-total $81.90
Shipping/Handling $8.95
Tax $0.00
Total $90.85

I ordered it on the 17th and it was sitting on my door step on the 19th. Overall I was pleased with the purchase.
I'll bet. I wish I would have found those.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Sub-total $81.90
Shipping/Handling $8.95
Tax $0.00
Total $90.85

Ordered these on Tuesday evening (6/5) and got them today at lunchtime (6/8). I went put and put them on real quick.. positioned them like your second attempt. I have about a 25 mile ride home on the interstate so that should be a pretty good test....

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered these on Tuesday evening (6/5) and got them today at lunchtime (6/8). I went put and put them on real quick.. positioned them like your second attempt. I have about a 25 mile ride home on the interstate so that should be a pretty good test....
I ended up putting them back to the first position. There was air coming in between the cut out section of the windshield and the top of the lowers. I also didn't like the way they made the air hit my legs. There is still a lot of air coming around the shield but the lowers deflect the air and help fight the bobble head effect.

I think I was expecting more because of how the Harley chrome lowers helped my V Star when I added them. But the V Star also had a taller windscreen which I looked through all the time. For the most part I didn't mind but it was a huge pain in the rain which is why I don't want to go with the bigger shield on my XR.

I've seen some that used the hardware but cut their own Plexiglas that are larger than the Memphis shades. I have a long ride coming up this weekend so I will decide after that if I add the bigger lowers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Make a set

Lowers are so easy to make for these bikes. I have made several sets over the years for all makes of bikes. I do it for under $25 and they look just fine. All it takes is a band saw,hack saw and sander to make them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ended up putting them back to the first position. There was air coming in between the cut out section of the windshield and the top of the lowers. I also didn't like the way they made the air hit my legs. There is still a lot of air coming around the shield but the lowers deflect the air and help fight the bobble head effect.

I think I was expecting more because of how the Harley chrome lowers helped my V Star when I added them. But the V Star also had a taller windscreen which I looked through all the time. For the most part I didn't mind but it was a huge pain in the rain which is why I don't want to go with the bigger shield on my XR.

I've seen some that used the hardware but cut their own Plexiglas that are larger than the Memphis shades. I have a long ride coming up this weekend so I will decide after that if I add the bigger lowers.
I noticed that the air coming from the bottom of the shield was also significantly reduced by the lowers... especially at interstate speeds (70 to 80mph) I hear the motor more now as well... Tomorrow the wife and I take trip up state to see her grandfather. about a 200 mile round trip..the change is subtle but in just the right places (for me)....

·
Registered
372 Posts
My XC was the first (known) Cross bike to get MS lowers. Had them put on out at their booth at the Sturgis Rally in 2010. They have a bracket listing for the Hammer and it should work for any Cross bike then get the color lowers you want. They made great improvement to the buffeting from wind underneath the fairing on my XC and IMO the look better than the Victory lowers at WAY lower cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts

Sub-total $81.90
Shipping/Handling $8.95
Tax $0.00
Total $90.85

Thanks for posting this info. I'd been looking for these numbers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I rode about 200 mi this weekend with these installed and while there is still some air (which I like), the helmet buffeting is gone. I am very happy with these....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts