Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going on a trip and would like some power outlet options to be able to charge my cell phone, GPS, radar detector, etc. What are my options on the XR? I have the optional heated grips if it matters. Thanks.

·
13,033 Posts
Make sure you buy the correct plug in cigaret litters are to small for what you want.
You can hook to the battery with a fuzz in the wiring. You can get a outlet that has a cover from your auto store
Now your on your own where you put the outlet. Just remember if you go to the battery un plug your what ever when you stop for the night so it doesn't drain the battery

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
There's a place in you right saddlebag to put a power outlet. I've asked the dealer what it plugs into but he didn't know. Under the tail light assembly on the tire side of the rear fender there's an empty connection; this may be the plug in - you could check to see if it's hot with the key on and dead with the key off. If so get a covered power outlet from the auto parts store and find a connector to splice to the power outlet wiring that will mate to the plug under the fender.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I knew about the possible port in the right bag, and I think there are some Vic parts kits. I think there's also a few other Vic kits. I am just wondering if anyone figured it out yet.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Once you get it figured out let everyone know. I wasn't very happy with getting told I don't know when I asked about it. I also wasn't happy with looking through the shop manual and not being able to find anything that mentioned power outlet connection.

BTW, the kit I saw at my at my dealer for $39.95 looked exactly like one I saw at Pep Boys for $9.99. I may actually buy this and try to use the connection I mentioned. I never considered until I remembered reading about someone finding connectors at an auto parts store.

I figure if I can get switched power out of that I can still use the heated seat plugin for something else. It get cold here and I don't like givin up on riding but my wife does. I'm looking at getting some Gerbings and a permanent mounted controller. I figure I can mount the controller in the same place on the left side of the seat that heated seat controllers are mounted.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
There's an auxiliary connection in the headlight bucket. If you want the outlet to be powered only when the running lights are on, that might be a good spot to connect. No new switch, no worries about forgetting something plugged in over night. You might also want to consider putting in 2 or 3 connectors at the same time, in different locations, all wired together. That way you can have your phone charging in the saddle bag, or your GPS plugged in on the handle bars, etc. Might be more convenient to have more than one location.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There's a place in you right saddlebag to put a power outlet. I've asked the dealer what it plugs into but he didn't know. Under the tail light assembly on the tire side of the rear fender there's an empty connection; this may be the plug in - you could check to see if it's hot with the key on and dead with the key off. If so get a covered power outlet from the auto parts store and find a connector to splice to the power outlet wiring that will mate to the plug under the fender.
I hooked one up today. A lighter, smaller than the hole in the bag, but I had a couple Delrin washers left over from my old race boat that I had in my parts cabinet just honed them out a little and it worked just fine. BTW the pigtail back there is always hot, so you'll have to have your head screwed on right and remember to unplug whatever you have in there. We'll see if I can remember that!thumb up

·
Registered
472 Posts
Oh yeah, another cool thing I just thought of, now on a trip I can take my LED trouble light just in case I would need it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey BFP, where is the always hot pigtail you are talking about? That would be good to charge a device in the bag like a phone.

·
Registered
472 Posts
hey BFP, where is the always hot pigtail you are talking about? That would be good to charge a device in the bag like a phone.
It's zip tied to the cross brace in the middle between the tail light, and the brace. Two spade connectors, small power, and standard size ground. They are long enough to reach over to that hole in the bag perfectly.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
It's zip tied to the cross brace in the middle between the tail light, and the brace. Two spade connectors, small power, and standard size ground. They are long enough to reach over to that hole in the bag perfectly.
:worthless without:

Please take a few pics for us!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
That's the connector I was talking about! Good to hear it's a power source; maybe not so good that it's constant hot but that's something one can learn to work with.

Thanks for the info Bfp!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Bfp people helping people is what forums are all about; you just saved me and a lot of other people time and money!

So to return the favor check out the saddlebags falling off thread; I posted what I used to make a pseudo brukus kit that will save you some cash and keep you from having to recover fly away saddlebags.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Nice Job!

Thanks bfp! I am adding this to my "to do" list.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So to return the favor check out the saddlebags falling off thread; I posted what I used to make a pseudo brukus kit that will save you some cash and keep you from having to recover fly away saddlebags. Ammo this is on my to do list. Thank you for your info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's the connector I was talking about! Good to hear it's a power source; maybe not so good that it's constant hot but that's something one can learn to work with.

Thanks for the info Bfp!
Wire it to a relay connected to a switched source then you don't have to worry.

tom

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good idea; just have to find one in the rear half of the bike. I'm all about rigging stuff but I like to hide my "work". I really don't need my wife pointing out visible wires...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts