Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally got around to removing the seal around the air filter. When I moved the tank back, to my surprise I saw what looked to be rust spots on the Victory performance air filter (part of my stage1).

Now, the bike has never been ridden in rain, and only has about 420 miles on it. The seal has been on until today so I don't think any water got in there. What's up with this? Just cheap wire mesh on the filter? None of my K&Ns ever did this...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Today I finally got around to removing the seal around the air filter. When I moved the tank back, to my surprise I saw what looked to be rust spots on the Victory performance air filter (part of my stage1).

Now, the bike has never been ridden in rain, and only has about 420 miles on it. The seal has been on until today so I don't think any water got in there. What's up with this? Just cheap wire mesh on the filter? None of my K&Ns ever did this...
I went to my local dealer and asked for an oil kit and a performance air filter. No problem on the oil kit, but when it came to the performance air filter they told me they don't have any in stock and not ordering any. Said they were coming rusty out of the box, and after a few customer complaints, they had returned them all and not ordering any more. Was advised to hang on tight 'till K&N comes out with one. I trusted my dealer as they've been nothing but truthful to me, but that statement had me on the fence - how could they come rusty out of the box? Now that you've posted that, I believe them. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow I'm going to check mine out. If its rusty it's coming out and the stock one going back in until K&N comes out with. You got to pay close attention to the K&N becase if that oil drys ou it will let way more dirt in your engine that a stock filter, way more. My son called me the other day in a slight panic, he said he took the K&N off his Dyna and the throttle body was lined with dirt. The filter is 7 months old. The heat from these engine will dry the oil up in these filters faster than you think, it's not way out front in the cold air like on a car. So Keep a close eye on them or run a paper element. I'm registered with K&N for an email alert as soon as they release the air filters for the Cross Bikes and will post as soon as they are

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Are the OEM performance filters supposed to be oiled like a K&N? If so once oiled the chance of rusting would decrease (until it dries out).

CR,
Any word back from K&N on your petition?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...Any word back from K&N on your petition?
Nothing yet, which is why it's important to keep petitioning it. Have your wife, friends, siblings sign the petition - And if you don't want a K&N filter, petition it anyway. You might want one later, or if nothing else it will force Victory to make a better air filter.

Are the OEM performance filters supposed to be oiled like a K&N? If so once oiled the chance of rusting would decrease (until it dries out).
I believe the Victory Performance Air Filter is also supposed to be oiled up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have completed request form for K&N filter. The rust you say you see is really the blood of our servicemen and women who served and died in Vietnam where the current air filter is made. Totally unacceptable, purchasing goods from the same government we fought against. Call, write and support K&N in developing an air filter for the XC & XRs with K&N and Victory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts