Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am trying to find heights of the different OEM windshield options to figure out what size Cee Bailey's to order. Right now I have the short OEM shield and it measures about 17.25" from the top of the headlight cutout to the middle top of the shield. Could someone measure their OEM mid-height and tall windscreens so we have the actual heights for reference? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Mid-height is 20.25" from center of cut-out to center top. Note that Victory advertises their winshields as +3" or -3" frome the mid-height windshield. If nobody replies with the measurement for the tall windshield you can assume that it is 23.25".

Also you may want to see if they have modded a windshield for use on XR with forged bars. Bigseadaddy said on his post that the windshield would'nt work with the forged bars. This is also mentioned on the Cee Bailey website; the windshield will contact the forged bars at full lock left or right.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Shield compatible with forged bars...

Also you may want to see if they have modded a windshield for use on XR with forged bars...
They do make a shield compatible with the forged bars. They call that the Original Design. The Built-In Lower Design is the one that is not compatible with forged bars. They have them in one inch increments from 15" all the way to 23" - here's an image straight from their website:

crossroads2010_ws.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes, I do have the forged bars and would need the one on the left. I'll probably get a 19" eventually. I would order sooner but had to replace my rear tire today at the 500 mile service because I had a screw in it and it was flat. Scary thing is I rode the 40 miles to the dealer on the highway today with the flat and didn't realize it. And I was definitely going a bit above the speed limit. I got lucky I guess. :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I have a question on shield height.

I am 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. At about 60+MPH the buffeting starts and at 70MPH my fillings begin to shake loose and I loose vision. If I place my hand at the top of the shield, it takes it down a bit.

I like the Cee Bailey option because of cost. I have the 2010 XR and wanted to know if I should get a taller shield and/or lowers? Are others able to reduce buffeting while still being able to see over the top of the shield?

Speed here in Austin is typically 60mph or greater, but it's the 20mph headwind that's creates the largest problem. If I head into the wind, the buffeting begins at 55mph.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I'm 6' 1" with 32" inseam and get very little buffeting with the mid height windshield and I average 70 MPH. What size shield do you have? It seems that anything taller than mid height you would have to look through.

As far as lowers go it wouldn't hurt to try them; not many people have them on XR because the windshield has built in lowers.

Some may argue with me but I think differently about buffeting than most. I rode for years without a windshield so any protection feels good to me. The way I see it is that if you ride a motorcyle you should feel wind. The same rule applies with vibration; you're straddling a solid mounted engine -- if it's running you should feel it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have a question on shield height.

I am 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. At about 60+MPH the buffeting starts and at 70MPH my fillings begin to shake loose and I loose vision. If I place my hand at the top of the shield, it takes it down a bit.

I like the Cee Bailey option because of cost. I have the 2010 XR and wanted to know if I should get a taller shield and/or lowers? Are others able to reduce buffeting while still being able to see over the top of the shield?

Speed here in Austin is typically 60mph or greater, but it's the 20mph headwind that's creates the largest problem. If I head into the wind, the buffeting begins at 55mph.
I think the lowers would help you the most. The buffeting is a lot better for me since adding the lowers. It doesn't stop all the wind from hitting your legs, but it cleans up the air quite a bit. For me, the buffeting issue is about 80% better than what it was by adding the lowers. Hopefully I can get the last 20% by adding a little taller screen (mine is the short).

·
Registered
14 Posts
buffeting solved

I found the problem with buffeting on XR was due to windshield angle.Windsheld is mounted to front forks with same rake.While this looks good visully,the Angle is somewhat steep for most riders.This causes dirty air.
Solution is to change angle of shield but keep hight near or right at eye level. If you have any mechanicial skills or access to simple tools this can accomplished relitively easy and inexspensive.

My fix: Fab two pieces of flat stock (HOT ROLL) 1/8"x 3/4"x 6" for each side
Drill a couple of holes 5/16"
one piece will set windshield to hight (top piece)and the other will set the angle from the bottom. A couple of stainless Allen head bolts and nuts will finish it off.
Now the bottom of shield will be directly above blinkers.
But adjustments can be made as the whole windshield
can swing up and down.
Luckly I have a friend that plates with nickle and chrome.
As for the XC buffetting cant say? But for me it has been great. I would leave the shield off due to turbalence, now it on and love it.
I am 5'-8 with 30" inseam.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the problem with buffeting on XR was due to windshield angle.Windsheld is mounted to front forks with same rake.While this looks good visully,the Angle is somewhat steep for most riders.This causes dirty air.
Solution is to change angle of shield but keep hight near or right at eye level. If you have any mechanicial skills or access to simple tools this can accomplished relitively easy and inexspensive.

My fix: Fab two pieces of flat stock (HOT ROLL) 1/8"x 3/4"x 6" for each side
Drill a couple of holes 5/16"
one piece will set windshield to hight (top piece)and the other will set the angle from the bottom. A couple of stainless Allen head bolts and nuts will finish it off.
Now the bottom of shield will be directly above blinkers.
But adjustments can be made as the whole windshield
can swing up and down.
Luckly I have a friend that plates with nickle and chrome.
As for the XC buffetting cant say? But for me it has been great. I would leave the shield off due to turbalence, now it on and love it.
I am 5'-8 with 30" inseam.
Hope this helps.
Great fix! Could you post some pics for the visually inclined? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Selling XR windshields

I've got a 21" 7Jurock in light grey and a 21" Cee Bailey design light grey I want to sell. I will sell my stock mid height as well if someone wants it. Each have roughly 3k miles on them but are in great shape.

Make me an offer if you are interested.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buffeting Solved

I Just got my brackets back from plating co. I am submitting as many pics as I can. Also the demisions are as follow"s

Upper Brackets 1/8" X 3/4" X 6". 5/16" holes drilled from one edge at 1/2" again at 3-1/2" and 4"

Bottom Brackets 1/8" X 3/4" X 6". 5/16" holes drilled 1/2" , 4-1/4" ,4-3/4" , 5-1/4"

The ones in my picture do not have all the holes like above,but for extra adjustments I reccommend it. After reading the threads on this topic it also sounds like lowers woud make a considerable difference, I have noticed lots of air sneaking past forks (Where lowers would mount)
Im also thinking of adding a thin piece of plexi in headlight space for cooler temps, plenty of cool air in summer tho.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the pics bobcat5540! Your idea to solve the buffeting is exactly what I had in mind too. In fact, 3 months ago I appealed to National Cycle to make a shield that would bend back more toward the rider (similar to their Stinger shield) on the XRs because I thought it would solve the issue. I even offered to be a test bike for fitment since I live 30 minutes away from their headquarters. I got nothing useful back. I think they might not be producing aftermarket shields for the Cross bikes because it is very likely that they produce the OEM Lexan shields. Maybe a conflict of interest or something. Too bad for us :(

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Thanks for the pics bobcat5540! Your idea to solve the buffeting is exactly what I had in mind too. In fact, 3 months ago I appealed to National Cycle to make a shield that would bend back more toward the rider (similar to their Stinger shield) on the XRs because I thought it would solve the issue. I even offered to be a test bike for fitment since I live 30 minutes away from their headquarters. I got nothing useful back. I think they might not be producing aftermarket shields for the Cross bikes because it is very likely that they produce the OEM Lexan shields. Maybe a conflict of interest or something. Too bad for us :(
I spoke with national a few weeks ago and they indicated they were going to take a serious look at it this fall.

Are you sure the oem shield is Lexan? Mines in a box and I don't feel like digging it out but I thought it was the same cheap Polly all of them use. If it is Lexan, it would make sense that national is the supplier!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's Lexan and it is most likely made by National since they supply Polaris. Hope that they will come out with something in the future.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have made the brackets

I made this mod to my victory, thanks to the pics on this forum and instructions and hope to test tomorrow.

It looks good so now for the test run.

Cheers

Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Thanks for the pics bobcat5540! Your idea to solve the buffeting is exactly what I had in mind too. In fact, 3 months ago I appealed to National Cycle to make a shield that would bend back more toward the rider
I did the same with Clearview shields. I had one of their shields on my Warrior and it had perfect wind management. They make a flip top shield for a Road King in numerous sizes and even make one with an air vent for it:

Maybe if enough of us bug him, he'll see fit to make a Victory drill pattern than would allow us to mount the to our bikes. Seems like a no brainer to me.

E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
You've hit the nail on the head saddlebag. A windshield with a vent in the lower third would help to get rid of the pocket of air behind the windshield. When I was looking at getting a new bike I looked hard at the road kings and one of them at a dealership had a "wind splitter" shield. Some don't like the looks but I thought it looked pretty good and think it would look great on a XR. My little M50 also had buffeting problems with the small sport windshield I had on it. I fixed alot of that by moving the windshield up a few inches leaving a gap between the shield and the headlight. This allowed enough air through to calm some of the buffeting but still keep pressure off of my chest. I hate the look of windshields but it is needed to keep from wearing you out, especially on long runs on the interstate. Here is that windshield that HD offers for the RK.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/86283/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2013-Harley-Davidson-CVO-Road-King.aspx
It would be great if VIC or an aftermarket company would make one for our XR's but I doubt that will happen with the low sales of these bikes compared to other models.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You've hit the nail on the head saddlebag. A windshield with a vent in the lower third would help to get rid of the pocket of air behind the windshield. When I was looking at getting a new bike I looked hard at the road kings and one of them at a dealership had a "wind splitter" shield. Some don't like the looks but I thought it looked pretty good and think it would look great on a XR. My little M50 also had buffeting problems with the small sport windshield I had on it. I fixed alot of that by moving the windshield up a few inches leaving a gap between the shield and the headlight. This allowed enough air through to calm some of the buffeting but still keep pressure off of my chest. I hate the look of windshields but it is needed to keep from wearing you out, especially on long runs on the interstate. Here is that windshield that HD offers for the RK.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/86283/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2013-Harley-Davidson-CVO-Road-King.aspx
It would be great if VIC or an aftermarket company would make one for our XR's but I doubt that will happen with the low sales of these bikes compared to other models.
You can buy those vents from JC Whitney et al made for Gold Wings and such. Gold Wing shields are flatter, but I don't think that ours are bent enough that it wouldn't fit after cutting out a proper sized hole in our windscreen. It still wouldn't have that nice flip up at the top. I had that on the Warrior and I have a V-Stream on my FJR that does the same thing. Both work exceptionally well.

The other option is to buy a Laminar Lip. I had one of those on my FJR OEM screen and it worked way better than stock, but not as well as the flip up V-Stream, and it's ugly, and it will get in my line of sight going up hills.

http://www.laminarlip.com/vtourcruiser.php

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Oh yeah, that is pretty ugly! I don't care for the buffeting on my XR but it is not all that bad either and I run with the shorty windshield. The first Vic I test rode was a stock XC and the buffeting on it was 10 times worse than on my XR. I got the shorty because I thought it looked better and I don't think a taller shield would fix the buffeting. I will probably get the Vic fork mounted lowers eventually but just don't want to cough up that much right now for a little bit of plastic. I have even tossed around the idea of getting the hard lowers that come on the XCT. They are pricey plus I am not sure how they would look on my red XR. Might not look right since I don't have the big fairing to offset them.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
They are pricey plus I am not sure how they would look on my red XR.
I don't think they look good on the XC and it's got a big ass fairing to help them blend them in. I think those flat inserts that fit inside the front crash bars are the best looking, most effective way to knock down some wind.

I bought the fork wings, cut a couple inch bigger circle around the headlamp to allow air in to help equalize the pressure on both sides of the windscreen, Dremmeled out my screen mounts so the screen would lay back a little less vertical. All in all, the fork wings helped the most. I still get some buffeting depending on the wind direction, but it's tolerable now. Stock it drove me absolutely crazy. My head would shake so hard and fast that it blurred my vision. Still, it does bug me after riding the FJR with the V-Stream. It's air flow is always soooo smooth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts