Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having this section in a motorcycle forum is not necessary and a bad idea.... All it does and has done is open the door for unneeded opinions and ideas. Its likely a huge turn off to prospective members or people looking for Victory information.
If you want peddle ideas on religion or politics go find a dedicated forum for it or join church or cult or PACT ....better yet, get a sign hang it around your neck and hang out on a street corner....

My advice to admin...burn this whole damn section and keep it the hell out of the other threads. I'm personally SICK of looking at the threads that are not motorcycle related and these bullshit non-sense filled threads are going to be the down fall of this once awesome forum....

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
Well don't hold back Pain; say how you really feel!

:D

Seriously though; it was better when it was all in one thread even though it was cumbersome. It was just one thread to ignore instead of 4, 5, or even 10. JMHO, YMMV, FWIW.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
That may be true. However, I have to think that anyone opening a forum labeled “Religion and Politics” probably knows by now what they are getting into.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
And that, my friends is why I stay the hell away from it. There is more than enough controversy in every aspect of life, I don't need to volunteer for more. Have fun guys.

·
Registered
564 Posts
This has been an issue with other motorcycle forums as well. At least one found a solution that would still give those who feel they know the 'best' way for everyone to live their lives a place to express themselves without overwhelming the original idea for the website, discussion of all things motorcycle. Results for posts in the R&P Forum are not displayed when a "New Posts" search is done. If you want to know what the new posts are in the R&P forum are, you need to go to that forum. At least one has also required a separate password to even see or view the R&P forum. It has been very effective in eliminating the complaint raised here.

·
Registered
564 Posts
And that, my friends is why I stay the hell away from it. There is more than enough controversy in every aspect of life, I don't need to volunteer for more. Have fun guys.
I'm at a loss for whether you are referring to all your posts in the various motorcycle threads or the ones in the R&P threads. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
From a technical viewpoint, it’s more difficult for the database to handle one ginormous thread as opposed to several, slightly smaller threads.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
Isn't it interesting how the leftists among us want to silence free speech they don't like.

Gee; I wonder who else is doing that. Oh yeah; Google, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc. All leftist owned and dominated.

Leftists are okay with free speech as long as they approve and agree with it.

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
From a technical viewpoint, it’s more difficult for the database to handle one ginormous thread as opposed to several, slightly smaller threads.
The VOG seems to be handling it okay...

I admit to not understanding why it would more difficult even though I have a history in the IT field.

Perhaps some code could make just the last few pages of a thread load unless someone specifically does a search or manually goes back through them thereby triggering the rest of the thread to load and be accessible. Kinda like an archive.

Again; I'm not privy as to why it's a problem but I do believe there is one from the database point of view.

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
I'm at a loss for whether you are referring to all your posts in the various motorcycle threads or the ones in the R&P threads. :confused:
I have avoided the R&P thread and will continue to.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
open the door for unneeded opinions and ideas
This sort of language is scary... but then again, so is this:

Isn't it interesting how the leftists among us want to silence free speech they don't like... Leftists are okay with free speech as long as they approve and agree with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,990 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
The VOG seems to be handling it okay...

I admit to not understanding why it would more difficult even though I have a history in the IT field.

Perhaps some code could make just the last few pages of a thread load unless someone specifically does a search or manually goes back through them thereby triggering the rest of the thread to load and be accessible. Kinda like an archive.

Again; I'm not privy as to why it's a problem but I do believe there is one from the database point of view.
I mentioned that because I used to be a member of an RC Helicopter forum where the admins had to lock a huge thread due to size but it wasn’t to end the conversation. They started a new thread with a link to the old for reference.

There are many reasons/causes /differences; this incident was over 10 years ago so it very well could be better/different technologies and better systems on which they are run.

As for IT experiences, I’ve been in the computer field professionally since 2000 and am currently a system administrator at a software companyin Connecticut for the last 3 years so I understand your point-of-view.

And, no, it wasn’t a Religion and Politics thread; it was RC Helicopter related if you can believe it 🙂

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
That may be true. However, I have to think that anyone opening a forum labeled “Religion and Politics” probably knows by now what they are getting into.
On my phone it is set on timeline, so the religious & political stuff is always on top ... Before only 1 thread, now a few more ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
This has been an issue with other motorcycle forums as well. At least one found a solution that would still give those who feel they know the 'best' way for everyone to live their lives a place to express themselves without overwhelming the original idea for the website, discussion of all things motorcycle. Results for posts in the R&P Forum are not displayed when a "New Posts" search is done. If you want to know what the new posts are in the R&P forum are, you need to go to that forum. At least one has also required a separate password to even see or view the R&P forum. It has been very effective in eliminating the complaint raised here.
So when my phone is on timeline it will display everything except the 2 or 4 religious ones ?

That would be nice ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
13,322 Posts
I mentioned that because I used to be a member of an RC Helicopter forum where the admins had to lock a huge thread due to size but it wasn’t to end the conversation. They started a new thread with a link to the old for reference.

There are many reasons/causes /differences; this incident was over 10 years ago so it very well could be better/different technologies and better systems on which they are run.

As for IT experiences, I’ve been in the computer field professionally since 2000 and am currently a system administrator at a software companyin Connecticut for the last 3 years so I understand your point-of-view.

And, no, it wasn’t a Religion and Politics thread; it was RC Helicopter related if you can believe it 🙂
About 8 years ago I got interested in RC Heli's so I spent far too much money and bought all kinds of stuff to make it happen. I don't remember seeing any controversial threads but then after about a year I gave it up realizing it was really a young persons hobby so I sold every thing for about an eighth of what I had in to it and considered it a learning experience.

I guess this is an example of my inner geek. ;)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You all can point fingers, tell me to stay out, call me a leftist and say my thoughts dangerous etc, etc, etc.... but it was "you all" that were are flinging **** at each other over thoughts, ideas, beliefs and whatever. :mad:
...My one and only point for this thread is simple....This is NOT good for the general forum or the members. With Victorys slowly disappearing, our forum is going to become a soap box for anyone with an idea to spout off about or a point to make, instead of a resource for remaining Victory owners to access.

End.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
You all can point fingers, tell me to stay out, call me a leftist and say my thoughts dangerous etc, etc, etc.... but it was "you all" that were are flinging **** at each other over thoughts, ideas, beliefs and whatever. :mad:
...My one and only point for this thread is simple....This is NOT good for the general forum or the members. With Victorys slowly disappearing, our forum is going to become a soap box for anyone with an idea to spout off about or a point to make, instead of a resource for remaining Victory owners to access.

End.
I haven't flung **** at anyone... and who gets to decide what is 'good for the forum'? Who decides if a statement is free speech or hate speech? Is censorship the answer?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
About 8 years ago I got interested in RC Heli's so I spent far too much money and bought all kinds of stuff to make it happen. I don't remember seeing any controversial threads but then after about a year I gave it up realizing it was really a young persons hobby so I sold every thing for about an eighth of what I had in to it and considered it a learning experience.

I guess this is an example of my inner geek. ;)
I had an Miniature Aircraft X-Cell Gasser #1005. Weighed about 13 lbs AUW. Was so scared to actually do anything with it because it was over $1,000 hanging in the air. Heck, the rotor span was 5 feet from tip to tip and was powered by a 23cc gasoline weed whacker engine; it had a pull start. Here's a vid from 2009... I wasn't a very good pilot. Pardon the poor video skills.

https://vimeo.com/7888534

It ended up sitting for a long time because it was in the midst of the recession and didn't have the $$ to maintain it, so I sold it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts