Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's our 6th wedding anniversary, and the wife and I would like to get away for the weekend. We're considering a ride up to Yellowstone. I've learned that staying in the park itself is a rather expensive proposition (I knew it would be, but was pretty surprised at exactly HOW expensive), so I'm planning on staying in West Yellowstone overnight. It's only about 4 hours of saddle-time away (probably take about 6 hours to get there with the dinking around we often do) and that should give us quite a long bit of daylight (doesn't get dark here till 9 this time of year) to explore. The logic behind West Yellowstone is that, while lodging is about the same for cost the cost brings more amenities and general convenience of being in a town rather than a national park area.

Day 2 will have us riding through the park toward Grand Teton National Park, and probably stopping over in Jackson for a bit for lunch. Then it'll be back home toward good ol' Twin Falls. That's a bit of a long leg-7 hours saddle time, which is about my ceiling. Wife should be pretty miserable by the time we get home. Upside is we can stop over in American Falls and stay with the in-laws if we decide we can't hack that last hour.

At any rate (I wander around the point a bit, I know), are there any road conditions/issues/hazards to worry about up this way that time of year? I've never actually been, and Lacy has only gone in a car. Are there areas of the park that should be avoided because we're on bikes (the State Farm commercial with the buffalo comes to mind)? Hoping to glean a little knowledge from the expertise of this forum.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's our 6th wedding anniversary, and the wife and I would like to get away for the weekend. We're considering a ride up to Yellowstone. I've learned that staying in the park itself is a rather expensive proposition (I knew it would be, but was pretty surprised at exactly HOW expensive), so I'm planning on staying in West Yellowstone overnight. It's only about 4 hours of saddle-time away (probably take about 6 hours to get there with the dinking around we often do) and that should give us quite a long bit of daylight (doesn't get dark here till 9 this time of year) to explore. The logic behind West Yellowstone is that, while lodging is about the same for cost the cost brings more amenities and general convenience of being in a town rather than a national park area.

Day 2 will have us riding through the park toward Grand Teton National Park, and probably stopping over in Jackson for a bit for lunch. Then it'll be back home toward good ol' Twin Falls. That's a bit of a long leg-7 hours saddle time, which is about my ceiling. Wife should be pretty miserable by the time we get home. Upside is we can stop over in American Falls and stay with the in-laws if we decide we can't hack that last hour.

At any rate (I wander around the point a bit, I know), are there any road conditions/issues/hazards to worry about up this way that time of year? I've never actually been, and Lacy has only gone in a car. Are there areas of the park that should be avoided because we're on bikes (the State Farm commercial with the buffalo comes to mind)? Hoping to glean a little knowledge from the expertise of this forum.
Island Park,West Yellowstone would be good.Didn't say if you're pitching a tent or not but a few motels in West Yellowstone. Jackson is a little pricey naturally but not completely outrageous.If you decide not to drop down to American Falls take US 20 out of Idaho Falls over to Arco catch the Craters of the Moon,over to US 93 north of Shoshone,probably about an hour longer.The Park can drop below freezing even in the middle of July so dress accordingly.Seems like there's always a little road const. in or around Yellowstone but nothing too serious,watch out for deer naturally.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Island Park,West Yellowstone would be good.Didn't say if you're pitching a tent or not but a few motels in West Yellowstone. Jackson is a little pricey naturally but not completely outrageous.If you decide not to drop down to American Falls take US 20 out of Idaho Falls over to Arco catch the Craters of the Moon,over to US 93 north of Shoshone,probably about an hour longer.The Park can drop below freezing even in the middle of July so dress accordingly.Seems like there's always a little road const. in or around Yellowstone but nothing too serious,watch out for deer naturally.
Thanks for the advice. I actually grew up in Shoshone! I always get a little excited when someone else knows about it. Real question is...how do you pronounce it :p lol

Been to Craters a couple times. Pretty much been all over Idaho with the exception of a couple of motorcycling destinations like Lolo Pass. It's just getting harder and harder to find somewhere we can go, stay one night, then come home and still see and do things. Got a lot of drama at the homefront (no health stuff, just financial stuff, homeowners' stuff), and going for longer than the weekend just isn't feasible.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I know it's not on your plans but sometime you should exit Yellowstone park in the north east. It's one of the nations most scenic highways. The Beartooth highway. The 212 to Red Lodge MT.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I actually grew up in Shoshone! I always get a little excited when someone else knows about it. Real question is...how do you pronounce it :p lol

Been to Craters a couple times. Pretty much been all over Idaho with the exception of a couple of motorcycling destinations like Lolo Pass. It's just getting harder and harder to find somewhere we can go, stay one night, then come home and still see and do things. Got a lot of drama at the homefront (no health stuff, just financial stuff, homeowners' stuff), and going for longer than the weekend just isn't feasible.
No! you didn't lol.Nobody who lived in Shoshone ever grew up.I lived there from '59 to '67, from there Lewiston,graduated from high school in 71,some [email protected] U of I, moved to Wyoming,back up to Pocatello 75-84,back to Wyoming to present.Strong ties in your neck of the woods,I'm up there all the time,we'll have to get
together! I pronounce Shoshone (Show shown)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Riding through Yellowstone NP should not be rushed.

Maybe reserve your room for 2 nights. (friday - Saturday)

If my time is short; I'll ride after work. Since West Yellowstone is only 4 hours that should be easy. Riding into the park before most of the tourist get there does make the views just a bit better.

Here's a few shots from last Sept. during the 2013 Cannonball Run.

For me; the bikes were the scenery. I've seen the park stuff many time.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Had a great time up there last year. If you find yourself riding in the park at night, be very aware of the Bison walking in the middle of the roads. Almost rode right into one and I didn't see the beast until I was a few feet away from it. The nighttime is so black in the park that a black bison just fades into the night.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Lived in Twin Falls for 16 years, went to Yellowstone many times. Been snowed on in June, July, and August. Wanted to do it on a bike but always had to drag the kiddies along so never got to, but it is on my bucket list. :)
Ok, from Twin its about 5 to 5 1/2 hrs. to West Yellowstone in a cage, due to the speed limits once you get off the freeway at Idaho Falls. Plan about at least a C note for a room in West Yellowstone. It was close to that 16 years ago. We did the camping thing most of the time in a campground about 8 miles West of the West entrance.
Speed limit in Park is 35 to 45 mph. You will not not get up that fast due to traffic. Wildlife will cause 15 to 30 min. delays at times, and that's just for deer or elk, a bear will be longer than that.
As for avoiding any area of the park, shouldn't have any trouble, just don't approach any wildlife, that is whats puts them on the defensive. My suggestion is to stay on bike, let wife take pictures and you be ready to move. We went up to Yellowstone at least once a year, never had any beast charge the car, actually had a herd of about 200 bison
walk across Firehole Lake Road in front of, and behind the car we had to stop. They went by like we weren't even there, we sat there for at least 10 min. while they wandered by. They are BIG animals when they walk by a car window and you can look straight across under the belly.
Hope this gives you so insight. Have fun, and ride safe.

Loren

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
I can't call a trip to Yellowstone complete without a run over Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT for lunch and return to the motel in Cooke City, just outside the NE corner of the park. The Bear Tooth Highway is one of this country's premier riding experiences, cresting at over 11,000 feet and loaded with curves and switchbacks.
Lucifer, why not have an anniversary splurge and stay at the Lake Hotel. Huge, deluxe rooms, music in the afternoon and evening in the big lobby and for cheaper eats, there's a cafeteria a short distance away. Then you are right in the middle of the park.
The most difficult thing about traveling in Yellowstone are the bear jams - drivers stopping in the middle of a road whenever they see an animal, no matter how far away it is. Being on a bike is advantageous in that you can thread your way through those egocentric, inconsiderate idiots.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No! you didn't lol.Nobody who lived in Shoshone ever grew up.I lived there from '59 to '67, from there Lewiston,graduated from high school in 71,some [email protected] U of I, moved to Wyoming,back up to Pocatello 75-84,back to Wyoming to present.Strong ties in your neck of the woods,I'm up there all the time,we'll have to get
together! I pronounce Shoshone (Show shown)
That's some funny stuff there. If you know any Urrutias, Stechlins, Alexanders, Jensens, Sants, or Bennetts, we got some people in common too. And you can always tell when folks are from out of state because it's show-show-nee, like the Indian tribe. Which is technically correct, but just not what we call the town.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know we're rushing it a bit with maybe a single whole day to see the park, but taking the extra time or spending the extra money just isn't in cards. I'm hoping traffic will be light with it being the weekend after Memorial Day and still too early in the season for kids to be out of school in a lot of places. That logic has worked out for me on camping trips in the Sun Valley area a time or two.

I'll post pics upon our return.

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
If you haven't been there before, you are going to frustrate yourselves as there is so much to see and do in Yellowstone. Not much is seen from the road and requires walking to many features and the park is HUGE with features many miles apart. I suggest you do something else with the limited time and funds you have and go to Yellowstone Park, the Tetons and Bear Tooth Pass when you have a week to spare and the $$$. Love, Dad

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you haven't been there before, you are going to frustrate yourselves as there is so much to see and do in Yellowstone. Not much is seen from the road and requires walking to many features and the park is HUGE with features many miles apart. I suggest you do something else with the limited time and funds you have and go to Yellowstone Park, the Tetons and Bear Tooth Pass when you have a week to spare and the $$$. Love, Dad
I completely agree.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's some funny stuff there. If you know any Urrutias, Stechlins, Alexanders, Jensens, Sants, or Bennetts, we got some people in common too. And you can always tell when folks are from out of state because it's show-show-nee, like the Indian tribe. Which is technically correct, but just not what we call the town.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I know we're rushing it a bit with maybe a single whole day to see the park, but taking the extra time or spending the extra money just isn't in cards. I'm hoping traffic will be light with it being the weekend after Memorial Day and still too early in the season for kids to be out of school in a lot of places. That logic has worked out for me on camping trips in the Sun Valley area a time or two.

I'll post pics upon our return.
I guess you'll recognize this hole in the ground.Bottom right you can barley see
the canopy.I stopped @ Perrine Bridge early one morning a couple of summers ago waiting for a crew from Portland that I ride with.We caught 93 @ Twin Falls on our way down to S. Utah,Vegas,Grand Canyon etc.Anyway I got there just before 4 base jumpers leaped into the Snake River some 550' below.I couldn't get my camera out fast enough to get a good shot.Snake Harley Davidson there in Twin was a favorite stop of mine back when I rode them,Good people.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Two years ago I rode from Florida to South Dakota and Wyoming to ultimately ride Bear Tooth Pass. Even though Bear Tooth Pass typically opens Memorial Day weekend that particular year the snow pack was still too deep to get it cleared for our trip the first week of June. Be sure to check the road conditions and the weather. It was sure a big disappointment after riding 5900 miles in 12 days. I'll be making the trip again a little later in the season to ride Bear Tooth Pass in the next couple of years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts