Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really worth disconnecting the o2 sensors on my ‘16 Magnum?

I was planning on clipping 2 wires and leaving the heater circuit intact. Will this do anything? How bad will it affect Fuel mileage? I currently only get at minimum if about 215 miles(depending on wind and other environmental factors) .

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

I was planning on clipping 2 wires and leaving the heater circuit intact. Will this do anything? How bad will it affect Fuel mileage? I currently only get at minimum if about 215 miles(depending on wind and other environmental factors) .
Model year '16 introduced the new 02 sensor wiring = If you unplug them, the "check engine" light comes on. I am unaware of a way around that, outside of a piggyback fuel controller or other tuning device. It's a bummer for sure.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have not touched the O2 sensors on my 2011 cross bike since I bought it new. I get around 40 mpg riding the twisty roads around here and I have more than enough power. 215 miles on a tank would be around 40 mpg if it is near empty and better if it is not.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I pulled the O2 connections on my 13 and added a timing wheel. Bike runs wayyyyy better.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a new 16. The worse thing I could do is pull or plug those. When I get into the performance I will get a new 2018 Tuner and the 02 sensors will stay. Removing cats is also a dumb move to make on a Magnum or XC.

·
Registered
307 Posts
O2s

to prevent having a check engine light you need this. One per 02
The bypass mentioned by VJ plus a Lloydz timing wheel and a higher flow air-filter is the poor man's (or cheap bastard's) tune up. The BEST choice is a maximus or a scab-over tuner and a dyno tune. Of course that's about a $1000....... Oh, and you NEED a 1/4 turn throttle ring....there are other "upgrades like cams and exhaust but.......$$$$.....LMYR

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm the 'cheap bastard' that's trying to run without O2 sensors until I can get it in for a tune. I just installed the Dobeck bypasses and I'm still getting a check engine light. What gives?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
A 1/4 turn throttle ring isn't needed. It's a personal preference.

It doesn't increase performance, it just reduces the motion needed to operate the throttle. I had one, and ended up removing it. I like a little finer control of the throttle. The 1/4 ring made it a bit jumpier for me.

If you spend all day going WFO, it might be for you.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Those "by pass" look like a OEM connector with a resistor between 2 of the plugs. Somebody that has them and works ohm one out and let me know which wires. Mine are disconnected since I did the Broggy muffler mod. Just tryin to richen it up a bit to maybe run cooler. The 13's you could do that without setting a lite.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I'm the 'cheap bastard' that's trying to run without O2 sensors until I can get it in for a tune. I just installed the Dobeck bypasses and I'm still getting a check engine light. What gives?
Too cheap to complete a profile and signature with information that will help us to help you? :eek

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Don't butcher a new bike.
Too late, the EPA already dorked it all up for ya.

I have a new 16. The worst thing I could do is pull or plug those.
How and why would that be the worst thing you could do? How would it negatively impact the motorcycle and you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Too cheap to complete a profile and signature with information that will help us to help you? :eek
Actually I only use the mobile site and a signature isn't an option but I've gone to the desktop site so I can build one. Either way I was very descriptive of my mods: 3rd Gear intake, timing wheel, and O2 bypass. Thanks for the assistance.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Stick black electrical tape over the red light.
Problem solved.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Cold, hard truth....If you are making payments on a vehicle, the one who holds the title owns it. You are simply the renter

·
Registered
96 Posts

I have a 2016 CCT , before putting the PCV and auto tune on the bike I had unplugged each 02 sensor and pushed the black wire out of the connector and put black tape over it then plugged it back in to the 02 sensor. I did think it ran richer. I couldn’t just unplug and leave them like they can do on other years or I’d get the engine lite on.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a 2016 CCT , before putting the PCV and auto tune on the bike
I'm curious about that. Only posts I've found on auto tune indicated it's junk.
I'm not exactly close to one of the recommended Vic dyno places.

My new to me 2012 has the O2 sensors unplugged and exhaust has a lot of soot like it's running too rich.

I'm in the cheap club too wanting best performance I can get with stock pipes. Not really fond of loud after years of a loud bike I'm enjoying being able to hear my music.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've just bought the pvcx. I had a rebadged Dynojet tuner on my last cruiser. Aside from feeling a bit torquier I don't think it did a ton of good on my bike. Still had pops, no change in gas mileage.only thing I know for sure is on some rides there would be complaints my c90 smelled gassy. Yet not a ton of soot on bikes. I think a flash tuner is a far better concept than a piggyback device.there are 7 dynojet dyno shops in my area so that could make the purchase even better to fine tune my bike down the road. I'll "interview" a few shops to get a sense of their lvl of expertise before I commit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts