Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and the wife are just regular folks. I have a GED and the wife has a 2 year assoiciate degree in business management where we eek out a living in rural eastern North Carolina. We have never aspired to be wealthy nor had relatives that were, but we paid off the mortage on the home we moved in that was built in 1970 and we bought in 1977 after 3 second mortages--the worst one thanks to Huricaine Floyd in 1999. I drove an 03 Pathfinder and she has a 1999 RAV 4 with almost 180,000 miles, but it run and drives great---so why mess with a good thing, right? We pay our bills and enjoy the 2012 XR and she has her MX5 convertible and life is good.

I enjoy reading reading about all the new Indians and Magnums and think to myself--- ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS!!!!!!!! People are dropping $30,000 in motorcycles--- or very close to it!!!!!!!!! Who are these people????????? The Vic equipped as the picture shows with the speakers in the lids and custom paint has got to be close to that OTD---and the Road Master--slap a nice exhaust and a very few extras in there and you know you are north of $30,000 easy.

I have owned a ton of bikes over the years, but only 2 of them were new and they were both Hondas. I have discovered that you can get a year old ANYTHING with less than 2,000 miles for about 65-75% of new price. In 2006 I got my 06 Road King Custom with SE pipes and extra seat and goodies for $14,000--rode it for 2 years and sold it for almost the same amount. Bought a 3 year old Fatboy with less than 400 miles on it for 2/3s MSRP, got my 1 year old Kingpin with 1600 miles and my XR with 559 miles--all for about 70% of the cost of a new bike.

YES I AM CHEAP!!!! I KNOW IT. I can't help it. Sue me. I understand there are people out there who have lots of money. I cannot relate. Sorry :D I wish I could :D I really really wish I could. :ltr: It is hard for me to imagine spending more on a motorcycle than I paid for my house. I will let you guys do that and watch Craigslist in the next 3 or 4 years to see whats out there. In the meantime, I will read the posts and dream on....................................:)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Truer words were never spoken.
cheers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey man I'm there with you. I don't understand why people by brand new vehicles of any kind when you can always buy a 1 year old model and save a bunch of money. And the Victory is the first bike that I have owned that I actually had to finance. Every other motorcycle that I've ever owned I paid cash for. Honestly it kind of makes me sick that I even financed a "recreational vehicle".

The vast majority of the guys buying these bikes are in their later stages of life, usually with kids grown and out of the house. They have pretty decent jobs and have a little disposable income so they go out and buy what they want. I ride with a guy who has over $50 grand in a CVO Harley Davidson. I've known guys who had $80 - $100 grand in big block Boss Hoss and V-8 Chopper motorcycles. They are all in their 50's and 60's, always had a good / great job, and now that the kids are grown and gone they are going to spend their money on what makes them happy. Some guys it big expensive boats, some guys it's fast cars, some guys its motorcycles. The simple truth is that they want one and can afford to buy one so why not?

I'm lucky enough to have a career that I could buy a brand new Indian or basically any motorcycle that I wanted. But at this stage in my life I'm not wired that way. It does seem crazy to me to spend that kind of money on a motorcycle when you can spend $15 grand or less on a great 1 year old bike. But I can't promise you in the future that I won't be one of those guys who buys the new Indian. I'll never say never.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I'm poor too .... Just makes dreaming that much better I guess ....:( But , I do have a great family and a nice bike !:D

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm with ya brutha!!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I too only have a GED and my wife has an associates. I work as a mechanic and she works for a bank. We're not wealthy by any means but we do make a descent living. I'm one of those who would drop that kind of money. I'm only 5k from having that much in my new CCT. BUT I'm not one of those to save up the money and pay for it in cash. I just borrow from the bank. I worked hard to build my credit so I may as well use it. I don't see it as 30k just for a motorcycle, to me, a motorcycle is my transportation. We bought my wife's transportation new (Altima) and we bought my transportation new (bike). I don't like buying used, I like owning and knowing every single mile.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I know where you're coming from.
My Vegas is way beyond anything I dreamt of owning,
I got a great deal and paid cash.
Spent a few grand bringing her up to scratch.
Got the Motor breathing real nice with Torquetubes and pipes,
And slapped on rear seat, pegs, backrest and Burleigh Bars.
A tach to see exactly where Im at.
All for less than the cost of a stifled newbie.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I'm poor too .... Just makes dreaming that much better I guess ....:( But , I do have a great family and a nice bike !:D
Dreaming is the best part. cheers

In response to 4", I believe it's a personality type. I prefer to throw money away on experiences, but I do ride a lot and will spend dough to keep a bike or two in good running order.

When we visited Italy, we were shown towers all over the town. Back then, people used their wealth to build towers. The tallest one belonged to the cat with the most money and so on. People in our community carry on that tradition with chrome and fancy wheels. Human nature marches on...

FWIW, I was recently impressed outta my socks by a car stereo. The wife and I were out walking the dog and we heard this wonderfully clear music, with excellent sound dynamics about a block away from where it emanated. I figured someone was having a live band at a party. As I got closer I kinda figured out which house it was coming from and then, not seeing a party, I thought this guy must have one hell of a home stereo. When I finally got up to the house, all that crystal clear sound was coming out of the guy's car while he diddled around in the yard.

Not very nice to the neighbors, but impressive as hell. I can see why some of these guys spend like crazy on audio. But what I don't get is where they are getting their tracks. I was listening to a Tom Petty interview on the radio the other day. He said that MP3s are approximately 5% of the sound quality of a studio recording. CDs are much better, but do people still use those on bikes?

·
Registered
784 Posts
But aren't you glad someone buys all that, doesn't ride it, gets over their "crisis" and wants to sell.
If not for them, all the less expensive nearly new stuff wouldn't be there.
I buy a bike to put 100K or more on it. Mine is stock sans the seat and a self imposed stage 1 type set up that cost much less and does much more.
Frugal is good. That sounds like what you really are.
cheers

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I'm an average Joe working a regular job.
I have a wife who quit work 20 years ago just to stay at home.
I have no children, so I am able to buy a second new motorcycle.
I'm certainly not rich, but comfortable for my meager lifestyle.
And if I time it right, the last check I write before I die should bounce.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
It doesn't pay at all for me to buy new because the 1st thing I'll do is void the warranty all to hell.

I have a GED and do construction management. Puss has a GED and owns her own business (hairdresser). We do OK but we are far from affluent. We live in a humble little house and all three of our vehicles are 2006 model year and paid for.

That said, Puss bought me this bike used and paid cash for it, but it was only $10,583 OTD with 1500 miles (2006 bike in April 2007). As soon as it got to my house I started throwing money at it. I must be an idiot because I just sat here and added up all the money I spent on this bike... $23,500... and I probably couldn't get $7K for it. However, there is NOTHING currently made that I would trade this bike for, so it's moot.

Like the man said... I'm 54, kids are grown and gone, 2 ex wives are off my ass now, 10 years left on the mortgage, and no car payments.

How many times in our lives do we tell ourselves "NO" so that others can have things? All the things I wanted... the bikes, the hot rods, the boats... it wasn't my turn yet. Now IT'S MY TURN!!!!

I don't blow money on anything else. I don't spend extravagantly. The bike is my only big toy. We help the kids and the grandkids are spoiled right to death, but at the end of the day, when it comes to the bike, I don't tell myself "No" much.

Would I spend $30K on a new bike? Oh hell no. Don't want a big-wheel bagger, don't want an Indian either. Whatever I see that I do want to own, I'll wait a couple of years, buy a used one, build a big ol' motor for it, make it mine, then park it next to my Kingpin.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Looks like I am little different than some on here, got a BS and Masters but chose a career that pays alright but not great but I am very happy and love to go to work everyday. I am wired to pay cash for everything, always have been. The only thing I have ever borrowed money on is my education and a 1990 silverado that I bought right out of college in 98 (for 6K). I knew I wanted a bigger bike and wanted a new one since I had never owned anything new in my life. Shopped around, got some dealers fighting for my business and got a new 2 year old XR for much less than the MSRP. I could easily pay cash for one of these new XC's or Indian or whatever I want but I am not that type and being in my 30's I would rather save for my future. Seen to many people get sick, hurt, etc and lose their home, retirement, etc. I also drive a 13 year old truck and decided I wanted a new one. After seeing prices for trucks these days I think I just keep driving the one I got.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I bought mine brand new, but I deserve it since I work 55 to 60 hours a week. I don't have a fancy degree, but to tell the truth, the ones who do are some of the most worthless overpaid people who don't deserve what they get.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Some rules I have learned to live by....
+ No debt (except for a home or starting a business)
+ That means all bills are kept current
+ Be solvent
+ Set aside 10 to 15% for retirement.
+ Have a reserve equal to four month's income for emergencies.
+ Buy only what you can write the check for, comfortably.
+ Hook up with a financial adviser to help with building for that retirement.
+ Live well and long enough to enjoy that retirement.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, I am a 60 year old lawyer, having raised 6 kids, 4 college tuitions and perhaps one more lingering out there and am at the pinnacle of my career and make a lot of money working many hours with stress I never wish my kids to have to experience. With that stated I agree with the OP but I do not feel nor maintain that those that buy new motorcycles are crazy. Without them, the industry of motorcycling manufacturing fails so I am thankful for them...I just don't happen to be one of them. I have never bought a new motorcycle and have only bought 3 new cars in my life...like the OP I guess I too am cheap, as pointed out to me by my wife. But I have all the enjoyment I can think of in my used motorcycles like my current 06 Hammer which I bought last year with only 1700 miles now with over 9000 miles. So to each his own but I do so appreciate those who find joy in buying new bikes assuming they can afford them. Now maybe the OP is making the point that these bikes are getting crazy expensive but look around you everything is getting crazy expensive which is clearly a good topic for a different post, I suppose.

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts
What!? I thought for sure every member on this forum was part of the 1%. No, not the 1% in the biker sense, the top 1% income earners.

Seriously though, some really good and down to earth folks here for sure, even SB and AZDave (on their good days ;))

I've always just been a working stiff. Got lucky with a house I bought in Cali years ago at the right time and made good money by selling at the right time there and then did ok by doing the same thing later in AZ. Of course when the Dodd/Frank housing bubble hit America and the rest of the world by way of the domino effect; I lost out but not before I had a chance to have some fun with the XC and trying out all kinds of different ways of setting it up.

I'm sure glad I was able to buy new stuff from time to time even though I probably won't be able to do it again. Multiple back surgeries and some issues related to them won't let me work full time again unfortunately. Even worse; taking those long rides I really like doing on a bike are really starting to look like a thing of the past for this one. Oh well. I'll do what I can when I can and not fret about the small stuff. There are so many with bigger issues to deal with.

I once read that if everyone could take their problems and throw them onto a pile where everyone could see them and then take on someone else's problems; most people would want theirs back.

I never envy those who have more than I. My bet is they have more problems to go with the more money they have. I tend to believe in the American capitalist way. Work hard. Earn it. Enjoy it. We all start out with the same basic opportunities in America. Some are just better at taking advantage of them than others. I have zero business sense but can excel in other areas. It's what makes it all work. Not everyone can be the boss or the worker bee.

Good thread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think its crazy at all.

If your the type that buys a bike and rides it 2k miles a year then yes its crazy, but if 2 wheels is your main means of transportation then you might as well get what makes you happy.

I ride 15k-20k miles a year, my bike needs to be comfortable and exactly what I want.....my truck can be a beater that I only drive in really nasty weather or to do chores.

I am not rich by any means. I am a SSgt in the Marines Corps, but I do have a 26K dollar bike in the garage.....and I ride it more than most people drive there cars.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts