Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
That's when you turn around and roll it back into the garage .....

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I'm sitting here growling this morning, and that pic just made it worse.

Lacy and I were planning for the last 2 weeks a 3-day ride out to the Oregon Coast, and until just the other night it looked like the weather would hold. I knew chances of that were spotty once we got into the coastal mountains, but between here and at least Bend, OR I figured we'd be all right.

Well, near as I can put it together, some damn low-pressure system has decided it's going to roll on up the west face of the Rockies and ruin my damn week.

On Thursday there's up to a 40% chance of rain along our intended route. Wednesday and Friday are offering between 10% and 30% dependent on location between here and there. As anyone on 2 wheels knows, 30% chance doesn't mean you have one-in-three odds of getting wet. It means you're GOING to get wet, and it will be for 30% of your trip.

I have rain gear and I've spent pretty long rides in pretty heavy rain...up to 100-mile stretches. I don't let it stop me once I'm already going, but I can't talk myself into intentionally riding into it. If I can't rationalize some chance it'll miss us--at least mostly--I fear our trip will be canceled.

Already tried plotting alternate routes, but forecasts are not looking any more promising north, east, or south. Disappointing indeed.

Sorry to be a downer.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I love the pic, thanks for sharing. Got a good laugh out of it.

...Sorry to be a downer.
No worries, if you can't vent on a forum where can you vent cheers
I don't blame you about the ride. I've ridden in rain before and I'm sure I'll do it again, but I ride because I enjoy riding; and I DON'T enjoy riding in the rain so I avoid it unless I have to.

But it sucks when you make plans and get all psyched up then something like that happens.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I'm sitting here growling this morning, and that pic just made it worse.

Lacy and I were planning for the last 2 weeks a 3-day ride out to the Oregon Coast, and until just the other night it looked like the weather would hold. I knew chances of that were spotty once we got into the coastal mountains, but between here and at least Bend, OR I figured we'd be all right.

Well, near as I can put it together, some damn low-pressure system has decided it's going to roll on up the west face of the Rockies and ruin my damn week.

On Thursday there's up to a 40% chance of rain along our intended route. Wednesday and Friday are offering between 10% and 30% dependent on location between here and there. As anyone on 2 wheels knows, 30% chance doesn't mean you have one-in-three odds of getting wet. It means you're GOING to get wet, and it will be for 30% of your trip.

I have rain gear and I've spent pretty long rides in pretty heavy rain...up to 100-mile stretches. I don't let it stop me once I'm already going, but I can't talk myself into intentionally riding into it. If I can't rationalize some chance it'll miss us--at least mostly--I fear our trip will be canceled.

Already tried plotting alternate routes, but forecasts are not looking any more promising north, east, or south. Disappointing indeed.

Sorry to be a downer.
When is this ride over to Oregon Coast supposed to happen? I live in Springfield, Or. and the weather gods are saying Thursday is 50% chance, What they are not saying is how much rain. I have noticed that if there are clouds, they will cover their ass and say there is a chance. If they say there is a 40% chance and an amount of less than 1/10 of an inch, it will probably rain some.

Looking at the weather forecasts on NOAA, there is going to be a thunder storm here and there but that's about it. Later in the week will be getting better.
The good thing is the kids go back to school on Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
When is this ride over to Oregon Coast supposed to happen? I live in Springfield, Or. and the weather gods are saying Thursday is 50% chance, What they are not saying is how much rain. I have noticed that if there are clouds, they will cover their ass and say there is a chance. If they say there is a 40% chance and an amount of less than 1/10 of an inch, it will probably rain some.

Looking at the weather forecasts on NOAA, there is going to be a thunder storm here and there but that's about it. Later in the week will be getting better.
The good thing is the kids go back to school on Wednesday.
We were going to leave early Wednesday morning and spend the night in Bend. Thursday would be out to the coast through Albany and Corvallis (never gone that way before) to Newport, then up the Pacific Coast Highway to Lincoln City. Then we'd run inland again, back through Salem and again toward Bend, but probably stay in Redmond the second night. Then back to Idaho via Prineville and John Day on Friday.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We were going to leave early Wednesday morning and spend the night in Bend. Thursday would be out to the coast through Albany and Corvallis (never gone that way before) to Newport, then up the Pacific Coast Highway to Lincoln City. Then we'd run inland again, back through Salem and again toward Bend, but probably stay in Redmond the second night. Then back to Idaho via Prineville and John Day on Friday.
That's not a bad loop. If you bumped it back a day, it might be a bit warmer at the coast. Also; if a bit more south is better too.

A bit better route might be to go on 34 out of Corvallis to Waldport and then south to Florence. It's a prettier part of the coastline. From Florence go inland on 126 to 36. 36 has less traffic and nice curves.

If you haven't been over 242 in the Oregon Cascades it's a must do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts