Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets here some foolish riding stories of when we were young and did not know any better.

When I bought my first big street bike in 1984 it was a Honda V65 Saber (the highest production hp in the world at the time, 121hp). I then had the brain wave of taking a trip to the coast of B.C. from Edmonton. This would only take about 5 days I figured (over 3000 kms). I would go through Jasper national park and return through YOHO and Banff national parks. I was 24 years old and grew up near the coast of B.C. and looked forward to seeing my old friends and partying lots.
I picked up my new bike the end of April with the optional full faring ($700 option at the time pushing the bike price to $5700). Within a few weeks I was on my way with a new pup tent and sleeping bag strapped to my homemade rack I had chromed. I picked up a set of throw over nylon saddle bags for the trip. On the way down it was nice weather and took me 2 days as I detoured to Armstrong B.C. in the Okanogan. After partying with a cousin in Armstrong said my goodbyes in the pouring rain I rode to the lower mainland near Vancouver. When I took my saddles bags inside all my clothes were soaked from the rain and I was upset the saddle bags were not waterproof, the rain continued and I was not going to let a little rain spoil my trip, and rode to Squamish meant up with friends and my cousin and proceeded to have a 2 day party at My cousin’s house and the local bar.
The rain continued as I left early in the morning with wet clothes on my planned trip as I was sure the leisurely trip through the mountains of B.C., Yoho park, Banff park were going to be very enjoyable and I was going to take lots of pictures of the trip. After all it was only about 1500 kms home.
It rained all the way trough B.C. and I decided I was going to ride that day until I got some nice weather as this rain could not keep going all over western Canada. After 8 hours of riding through the rain I was entering Yoho National park and the sun came out. I was elated, but it only lasted about 15 minutes and then I was riding in rain that was very cold about 15 minutes latter it started to snow and here I was in the middle of the rocky mountains with nowhere to stop and it was snowing but the snow was melting when it landed on the highway. At Banff Park stopped at a restaurant to eat and warm up as I could not stop shivering. After about one hour I decided screw this trip I’m going home and continued to Calgary and the on to Edmonton in the rain. I arrived home about 3:00am and climbed into bed (I had been riding since 7:00am). I had an electric blanket and turned it to the maximum setting and fell asleep. I woke up a few hours later drenched in sweat and all my muscles ached for a few days after. I then went to see my doctor about the muscle pain that did not seem to go away, it then I learned it was an after effect of getting Hypothermia. :(

The days of young and foolish, not a well planned trip. I only had a week off work, no rain gear, or warm riding gear, only my leather jacket, and figured I could be back by the weekend in Edmonton to party with my friends. It did not happen.

I had future adventures with the bike over the next 4 years I had it, and the trips were better planned and I realized riding all day and not enjoying the sights was not enjoyable. The following year I did the same trip but it took me over two weeks and when it rained I did small local sightseeing, I had rain gear now because I learned not to go on a bike trip without proper rain gear, warm riding gear, etc. I also had a tent that would stay dry inside and the outside would dry in about ½ hour after the rain stopped. As well as hard saddle bags that could be removed in about 30 seconds. It was one of the best trips on a bike I had.

cheerscheerscheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
I can relate to this story!
1984 I rode from IL to Daytona for bike week.Had a great ride down and a good first day heading home a week later.Seconday I had to stop at a gas station and ask for an ice scraper.Asked the guy how much it was and he said "if you are on a motorcycle and NEED an ice scraper it is free" I had to stop every 5 mile and scrape ice off my wind shield and helmet.Got to Evansville IN and stopped a strip bar to warm up.One of the girls had to get her hair dryer to thaw my beard out (which was froze to the bar of my helmet) so I could get my helmet off. Now that was a cold ride but dont remember the ride the rest of the way home cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts