Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have barely turned the first 1,000 miles on my new Cross Roads, and loving the bike a whole lot.

Last week I've posted in a different tread that I was testing a theory about the average fuel consumption we're getting, and today I have finally completed my test.

As some of you are aware, the Cross Roads does not come with the instrument cluster unlocked. A $50 fee, and my local dealer has unlocked it for me with their digital wrench, and among other useful data, I now get to see my instant fuel consumption and average miles per gallon. Up until now I was tracking my MPG by filling up the tank, and resetting my trip meter at each fill-up. Then it was a matter of dividing the miles traveled since last fill-up by the gallons of fuel displaced. I have tracked my MPG since day one, excluding the very first tank the bike came with, and another instance when I had not fueled up completely.

Here are my MPGs as I have recoded, along with the date of fuel-up, the miles ridden since last fill-up, and the gallons of gas displaced:
11/05/10 152.6mi 4.032gal 37.8mpg
11/12/10 155.3mi 4.144gal 37.5mpg
11/16/10 148.9mi 4.111gal 36.2mpg
11/19/10 150.0mi 4.073gal 36.8mpg
11/27/10 165.8mi 4.415gal 37.6mpg
12/07/10 173.1mi 4.459gal 38.8mpg

I have reset the average miles per gallon for the last tank I used, and the instrument cluster has displayed 42.1mpg. Compare that to the 38.8mpg I have measured, and you'll notice that the bike reports an exaggerated MPG measurement. It's off by more than 3mpg. It might not seem like a lot, but that's from just one tank.

It was interesting because another fellow rider here on the forum who was reporting lower than the others MPG was also riding a Cross Roads. I wondered how could the XR get worst MPG than the XC. Well, I'm going to venture nobody on the XC measured the consumption, but took the bike's readout for granted, while the XR, which doesn't come with the Average MPG function unlocked, forced its riders to do the measurement the old fashion way.

I will continue to record my MPG and will update again as I burn more tanks, and track the difference between what the bike reports, and what I actually get. If you'd like to try it out and make sure it's not just me, please do so and post your findings.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Not disputing your findings, but bare in mind that you can not figure further then one point past the decilmal. Trying to figure hunreths leaves to many variables.
That said your method is MUCH more acurate then the trip computer figuring pulse width vs speed times distance. All it takes is a minor variance in fuel pressure to throw it a curve

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 2010 XC and have noticed that the computer average MPG is about 3 to 4 miles higher than what I figure the old fashion way. But, heh, it is a nice feature!!! It may not be spot on, but it at least gives you an idea if your getting better or worse mileage depending on your riding style.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Every car I've had that had the MPG was off anywhere from 3 - 6 MPG.

Just for giggles I was going to LA in my 2001 Vette. Since it was the wee hours of the morning I decided to coast into the Valley as much as possible. My MPG went up to 60MPG. Of course as soon as I got on it the MPG's dropped.

Like Kevin said there are a lot of variables with the trip computer to be as accurate as the tried and true manual mathematics.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Crossraods my XC does the same. I knew the mpg on the dash could not be right when I seen 99 mpg going down a hill with the cc on. This was coming home from picking it up.
I have gotten as high as 48.2 mpg and as low as 39.3 mpg
I seem to be getting my best mileage at 60 degrees and cruising at 58 mph in 6th.
It is something to talk about but that is about it. It will increase after I get some mile some it.

dd

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's no biggie. I just wanted to point this out because while comparing gas mileage, some of us (XR locked) measure the MPG differently than the rest (XC & XR unlocked). Like I said, I will continue to do my old school measurements for a while as I am curious of what the average difference really is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
mpg readout

correct me if I'm wrong...it is my understanding that the read out for mpg on the display gives you the CURRENT mpg, as you travel, then holds the last figure recorded by the ECU...not the average per tank. The pen and paper methed gives you a good average per tank or fill-up. No rocket science there.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
correct me if I'm wrong...
Very well, since you've asked for it, I shall have the honor. :p

it is my understanding that the read out for mpg on the display gives you the CURRENT mpg, as you travel, then holds the last figure recorded by the ECU...not the average per tank. The pen and paper methed gives you a good average per tank or fill-up. No rocket science there.
You might have overlooked this sentence out of the original post:
"I have reset the average miles per gallon for the last tank I used, and the instrument cluster has displayed 42.1mpg."
Or perhaps I wasn't clear enough myself. At the time of my second to last fill-up, I have reset the average MPG displayed by the motorcycle, so it showed blank. I then filled up my tank, and rode away. At the end of that tank (very last fill-up), the average MPG was 42.1mpg, while the calculated figure was 38.8mpg.

Hope this clarifies it. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
correction noted. Guess I asked for it!

What I was trying to communicate was that the read out is only accurate while moving. It does not show a tank average.

And I agree...the only accurate way to get a TANK average is the manual method.
I have yet to get anything better than 39 mpg, but I drive it like I stole it on a regular basis! I bought it to play...not commute.

Love this forum!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a 2010 XC and have noticed that the computer average MPG is about 3 to 4 miles higher than what I figure the old fashion way. But, heh, it is a nice feature!!! It may not be spot on, but it at least gives you an idea if your getting better or worse mileage depending on your riding style.
just a doo-dad really...but there is one do-dad i do use and that is the key time-timer...(XC) this is great for long distance as i used to have to keep track of stops and such to get my roll time....as i have just been local since my last service, i am timing that and just discovered that it rolls over at 24 hours...(or i accidentally reset it) kinda like my trip meter on the honda rolls over at 1k....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Still better than me

I'm with most people - even on my cars I ignore what the on-board computer reports for the fuel economy.

Even your gas mileage is better than what I'm getting on my 2010 XR. Though it does sound like you are riding some interstate and some city streets. My commute is completely city streets, which may be why my numbers are a touch lower. These are my last five MPG:

1 - 32.2
2 - 32.1
3 - 34.1 (I took it out on the interstate for an hour on this tank)
4 - 32.7
5 - 35.0 (same for this tank)

I honestly don't know what else I can do. When I start out for the morning commute, my engine still bogs WAY down when I'm slowing down (usually the most from 3rd to 2nd). I let off the throttle, pull in the clutch and the RPMs drop significantly. Just this morning, my XR stalled at the first stop sign in my neighborhood. After it warms up a bit, it doesn't do it anymore.

I'm planning another hour or so ride this weekend, and I'll pull the plugs to see what they look like.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I must ride like an old lady, but I always average in the low 40's. Mid to upper on highway. I live out in Hill Country in Texas so maybe the longer stretches help (not much stop and go).

Low 30's would terrible IMO and stalling and rough running is never acceptable. That combination sounds as if a service check is needed.

That's just not right.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My trip computer seems 7 mpg high. Last tank 38 actual, 45 indicated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2011 has the same issues. The low fuel light comes on and the mileage calculator goes blank. I've filled up my tank right away several times and only could put in 3.5-4 gallons each time. leaving a 2.1-1.8 gallon reserve? I think it's something Polaris should check out. I'm learning to rely on my odometer in the meantime thumb up

·
Registered
528 Posts
I must ride like an old lady, but I always average in the low 40's. Mid to upper on highway. I live out in Hill Country in Texas so maybe the longer stretches help (not much stop and go).
During the summer months I get low to mid 40's. Haven't rode much after it turned cold.

I live on a mountain and it is 25 to 30 miles to go to a store, We have no red lights and it is good long stretches of highway. Very little stopping if any.
Good riding on divided highway if I am going to the victory shop, around 90 miles 1 way.

Each person has different riding styles and habits which can alter the fuel economy. I am a conservative rider. and prefers to enjoy the ride.

dd

Red lights/stop signs will really hurt your mileage.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Red lights/stop signs will really hurt your mileage.
:I agree: There are so many factors involved in your MPG, and this is one of them.

Another factor often forgotten and ignored is frequent short trips, especially in colder weather. Then there's load of rider/passanger/cargo, air pressure in the tires, nature of ride (acceleration/deceleration vs. cruising), fuel quality, fuel mapping, uhhh! I get tired of listing these factors, and that must mean someone's getting tired of reading them. So, I'll stop here, but any means, the list goes on and on.

If you really want to see if your bike has poor mileage, arrange a trip with a fellow Victory rider, and burn at least one full tank of fuel alongside the other Vic. Preferably do a second tank where you and the other rider switch bikes. Then compare the MPG from your bike to your friend's bike, and if they're different by more than 1-2 MPG, then you might have a case. Otherwise, you cannot consider your bike's broken, at least in my opinion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
:I agree: There are so many factors involved in your MPG, and this is one of them.
I find that , on all my bikes, that by far the worst mileage is steasy high speed freeway riding. In SoCal, I do a lot of this, say 75-80 mph. Mileage drops at least 25%.

I have confirmed this using the "instant mileage" feature on the XC and cruise control. Dropping the speed from 80 to say 65 mph increases the instant fuel mileage by 25-35%.

I get the best mileage riding country roads, say 40-60 mph, with few stops.

Motorcycles have a terrible coefficient of drag, much worse than most cars (like 3 times as high). E.g. many newer cars have a C of D in the 0.30-.40s

Motorcycles are more like 1.0+

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I find that , on all my bikes, that by far the worst mileage is steasy high speed freeway riding. In SoCal, I do a lot of this, say 75-80 mph. Mileage drops at least 25%.
Indeed. Or if you ride on a jammed packed freeway, crawling in traffic, (my typical ride home from work everyday) don't expect 'highway miles' neither. :ltr:

Btw, gregbenner, what part of So Cal are you in, and what color's your XC? I want to make sure I wave if I see you. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
CC, I have places in Glendale and Wrightwood (ride the Crest several time a week weather permitting). Bike is black.

Where are you located? Maybe we could hook up for a ride when this stupid weather clears up?

greg

Indeed. Or if you ride on a jammed packed freeway, crawling in traffic, (my typical ride home from work everyday) don't expect 'highway miles' neither. :ltr:

Btw, gregbenner, what part of So Cal are you in, and what color's your XC? I want to make sure I wave if I see you. :)

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CC, I have places in Glendale and Wrightwood (ride the Crest several time a week weather permitting). Bike is black.

Where are you located? Maybe we could hook up for a ride when this stupid weather clears up?

greg
I'm down in orange co. I hope I still remember how to ride when this rain finally leaves! It's only been a week, but it seems like it's been months.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts