Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's a fact. I've gotten between 38 and 47 mpg. Crazy. I've never had a bike get so much variation. The MPGs seem to have dropped since the temps have gotten into the 30s.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
That's a fact. I've gotten between 38 and 47 mpg. Crazy. I've never had a bike get so much variation. The MPGs seem to have dropped since the temps have gotten into the 30s.
Indeed.

All my recent bikes get much better mileage in uber hot weather. I had to look this up once because it didn't make any sense to me as the engine should perform better proportional to the density of the air it intakes. And cooler air is denser.

What I didn't take into account was how much easier the bikes glide through thin air.

The thinner is the winner.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems to be so. My ride to work daily is highway 50 miles round trip.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I was getting consistent 41 - 42 mpg up until about 2 months ago.Now its like 37-38. I was wondering if they changed the ogygen mix for winter or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was getting consistent 41 - 42 mpg up until about 2 months ago.Now its like 37-38. I was wondering if they changed the ogygen mix for winter or something like that.
Could be, the best milage was from gas not sold in the Phoenix area.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
How's this for crazy? I get better fuel mileage at 75 mph that I do at 65 mph. Cruising at 60, it gets better mileage if I leave it in 5th gear than if I shift to 6th. Is that strange?

I think it's the cams. It wasn't like this with the .495 Andrews/S&S cams. Maybe it needs a bit more rpm to be efficient?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
How's this for crazy? I get better fuel mileage at 75 mph that I do at 65 mph. Cruising at 60, it gets better mileage if I leave it in 5th gear than if I shift to 6th. Is that strange?

I think it's the cams. It wasn't like this with the .495 Andrews/S&S cams. Maybe it needs a bit more rpm to be efficient?
I believe it. I'm not much of a drag racer, but I read once that some of those guys build their vehicles with cams so hot they can barely run at idle. They work really well WFO however.

·
Registered
790 Posts

I've noticed this too on occassion, but if I find a dead level, straight road, with no wind conditions, 6 speed gives better mpg. The the 6th gear doesn't like to pull as well as the 5th at low RPM, and at 70mph 5th NEVER does better than 6th. Duh! :D

·
Registered
579 Posts
I find I get better mileage when Cheryl is with me. Probably has to do with the pounding on my helmet if I ride like I do when I'm alone. :ltr:

·
Registered
436 Posts
I noticed this the last couple tanks - I am used to getting 46-50 mpg and the last couple tanks have been 43-46 mpg. The temps have been in the 40s and 50s -
LOVE this time of the year for riding!

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't have that problem...
Huh??? I think you mean you can't tell the difference. It has to be different, just not as noticable as 1st geat compared to 6th, otherwise you'd be able to drive from a stop position in 6th gear. It has to have a lower gear ratio.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Huh??? I think you mean you can't tell the difference. It has to be different, just not as noticable as 1st geat compared to 6th, otherwise you'd be able to drive from a stop position in 6th gear. It has to have a lower gear ratio.
Am I to assume you have considerable seat time on a 110" Kingpin that's been geared down 7%?

What I meant was it has no trouble pulling the gear ratios.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I noticed this the last couple tanks - I am used to getting 46-50 mpg and the last couple tanks have been 43-46 mpg. The temps have been in the 40s and 50s -
LOVE this time of the year for riding!
If it's below 40 i freeze my ass off, even with my liner in. What gear do you wear?

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If it's below 40 i freeze my ass off, even with my liner in. What gear do you wear?
When it's below 40 degrees I'm nice and cozy in my truck. If I have to bundle up like the Michellin Man and plug myself into the bike to suffer though a motorcycle ride... It simply ceases to be fun and I'd rather drive a truck in Chuck Taylors and a T-shirt.

When I was 19 and all I had was the bike, I rode it no matter what. Now, I'm 52 and have 3 trucks in the driveway, so I'm not freezin' my ass off over it. If I can't ride comfortably, I'm not goin'.

I don't mind the rain... after all it's just water, it's not raining battery acid... but if it's raining AND cold? I MIND! If I get wet for more than a couple of hours in temps below 55 degrees, there's a hotel in my immediate future because the fun has gone out this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts