Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah! I got all excited years ago before owning a bike watching Orange County Choppers. I didn't give a flip about all the drama but loved the idea that just maybe I could one day have the $$ and time to simply order all new pre-fabbed parts so I could build my own bike the way I wanted it... or as close as I could get with not being mechanically inclined. Hopefully, one day!

There ain't a perfect bike but one you could put all your ideas and thoughts into could possibly be pretty close. huh?

Chain, shaft, belt? > final drive

Air/oil cooled, liquid cooled? > cooling requirements

Heavy, medium, light? > overall weight

Large, medium, small? > fuel tank

Black, red, blue, white, silver, custom? > paint

Alloy, chrome, spokes? > rims

16 F/B, 16 back/18 front, whatever? > rim sizes

Grip on road, feel, range, popularity, price? > tires

Soft/cushy/firm, back support, cool looking? > seat

5 spd, 6 spd, 789 spd DCT automatic transmission?

Ear splitting loud, medium loud, fairly quiet, cool looking > pipes

Apes, minis, pulled back for comfort and reach? > bars

Standard, full sized, custom? > wind shield

Full, 3/4, 1/2, skid lid? > helmet

Lots of low end, higher rpms, big hp, electric or hybrid, economical but worthy? > engine

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Good question Dill- IMO I dont think the perfect bike exists- I would prefer like 4 bikes (not getting too greedy) for the perfect garage.

Those Orange County Chopper bikes are good for STRAIGHT and SMOOTH roads only. So for freeways you'd have a blast :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you were to put a Vision fairing on a CCT, then make it shaft drive, naked pics of Hillary wouldn't subdue my arousal.....:D

·
Registered
352 Posts
The perfect bike for me is the one I have .

I have put much time (and money ) into it ...making it my own ,
as long as it continues to make me smile everytime I saddle up ...it will remain my bike.

When that no longer happens .... I will move on to my next perfect bike.

;)

Peter

·
Registered
149 Posts
The perfect bike is a relative term. It really depends on what you want to ride and the stage in your life. I have met guys that will only ride a GW on a long trip and others that will only ride a dual sport bike, because they like to ability to go off road if they see a butterfly over yonder. Then I know guys that love their 24 inch apes, but there is no way they are riding cross country with those.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
They are all the perfect bike for me! Even my 2 stroke 175 puts just a big of a smile on my face as my XR.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I owned a VTX 1800 for a few months. The power blew me away!

It didn't feel heavy and cruised on the slab better than any I've owned. The brakes were awful prob because prev owner didn't know what he was doing. What sucked more, gas! The measly 4.5 gal tank was thirsty all the time. I had to let it go.

The Vulcan 900 was a fun ride and good on gas but I got bored with it.

The mean streak I had was loud and would go but I could see it needing some work done that I did not want to fool with.

I've basically needed something just like what I've got for the money. The Vegas has fit my needs and can proudly say that it really didn't need any additions. Not perfect! Still lots of fun to ride.

I find myself lusting over a Triumph Thunderbird for sale but sadly, out of my price range.

Twice tonight I've seen a new Victory commercial for the new CCT and I drool. Wow!

I don't want a chopper like on OCC, I want to one day build a cool cruiser that is great on the straights and the curves. Call it a addition to my bucket list. thumb up

·
Registered
209 Posts
Someone asked me a few weeks ago what my dream bike might be. I said 'The one I got'. thumb up

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bikes are a bit like women, you think you've got one that will do everything well, until you approach "the apex" and then some how you've warped deep into the braking markers, only to run wide, get grazed and now you have second thoughts on your choice.

Problem is most times there's no warranty and the cost of returning her to the dealers is an arm and a leg.

That said...

I'd take a Pikes Peak Victory in a heart beat for the time the boy racer comes out and.... well my Hammer S just doesn't cut the curves or brake like a sports bike. If I reside myself to having a 600lb bike I would certainly like to have buckets more power. Which is pretty illogical when you need to stop and turn said 600lb Hammer S.

So as it is I'd settle for a souped up 106ci in a trellis frame with uber suspension and brakes. A bit like the Ness Cafe melded with Project 156.

Am I asking too much? cheers

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Mine is perfect for me.

I've said many times to many people that if I crashed it, I'd look for another on just like it. Have also said that someone could pull a brand new HD Ultra Low, Indian of any flavor or any other bike I can think of into my driveway, offer to trade me even up and I'd pass.

Now, I enjoy riding H_C's KP for a bit, but that bike ain't for me. Yep, it's fun, but it's not a bike for me.

The XC is sweet and if they'd learn from the Vision and from Indian and put an adjustable windshield on them, they would be very wise indeed. Still, not the bike for me though.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was almost home last night and a rider was coming my way. It was a slingshot. It was a strange sight coming at me. You know... someone out there thinks this is the perfect ride. I wouldn't know!

I've only gotten to see a new Indian off the showroom floor once when a group of us were riding. I'd love to try one.

I haven't gotten to ride as long as a lot of you. Riding is still new to me since only been owning bikes for 4 years. This vegas is #5.

While I do have plans to keep the Vegas a long time, I still see lots of bikes that I'd like to play with. I can't afford to have more than one at a time because I can only have one wife at a time. :eek:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This 4-Wheeled Chopper Is One Seriously Badass Reader Build

"Mike Fobes originally wanted a new Harley. He hadn't had a street bike since before his kids were born and now they were nearly grown. But his wife would not abide it. Rather than get into a drawn-out argument, he relented. He wouldn't buy a motorcycle. But he never said he wouldn't build one. And as a further concession to his wife's safety concerns, he decided he wouldn't even build a bike. Technically. Rather, his chopper would have four wheels. The 55-year-old master mechanic and auto-tech instructor looted a rotary engine from an old Mazda RX-7, put in a two-speed circle-track racing transmission, and attached two independent front wheels and two Avon 250 tires in the back."

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This 4-Wheeled Chopper Is One Seriously Badass Reader Build

I have always been a huge fan of the Mazda rotary engine. I've owned 3 RX-7s. Looked at an RX-8 and talked myself out of it. Simple design with basically 3 moving parts. Being that they only turn in a single direction, there is no reverse motion of a piston causing an actual slow down of the components. How many stock car engines can you think of that redline at 8000 RPM?
I would rather have a piston engine than one of those. Don't they have a oil usage problem and the seals wear out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts