Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would really like to see some actual testing of this thing. I have seen variations over the years at car and motorcycle shows but until there is real testing showing that this thing will actually filter out impurities better than a standard filter with synthetic media i will wait.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I agree Bigmike17....And that big $139 price tag is a bit much also. That stuff is mass produced on CNC equipment at a fraction of the final cost. Probably in China.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I don't like the washable filters. I'm not convinced they separate the small particles well enough and they take 15 or more oil changes before they are paid for vs using a good Wix filter.

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Makes me wonder how vehicles ever ran 100,000+ miles without any problems before these miracle filters ever appeared. They do magically make your money disappear. I think people that buy those are the same people that ride 1000 miles a year then sell a 2010 with 8000 miles on it and $20,000 in crap added to it for $7000.

·
12,984 Posts
Wix is what $7 bucks. Its thin meal with paper in side. The fancy one is way more money. You have to buy what carb cleaner to clean it. From the looks of it might hold in more heat. Its going to take you what half hour to clean the screen and then dry it good. Now when you clean it where are you going to do it. If You over use the carb cleaner and get a lot of it in your used oil whos going to take the oil. Just by looks I think the paper will trap more junk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My best take away so far was the 2007 HD rider that noticed a bunch of crap while cleaning. Noticed more plastic crap on next cleaning. This got him into the motor to find the chain shoes disintegrating and about to plug oil pump and blow motor. Not a problem here, but oil is living hard here and its a shared sump. Ill most likely double the oil filter changes.

Another testy said the increased flow flushed a couple of teaspoons of clutch material out of the system in less than 100 miles- first check was around the block a couple times ? ... two checks. There are hints on the oil flow being changed a lot by diff oils on the forums.

Or stick with a Wix - Mobil 1 /KandN SAME THING. Add some strong magnets on the paper oil filter and forget about it.

I don't have a problem dumping the used oil right in the back yard. Thats where is came from. S oil - > Back to SOil LMAO jk.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I run a HONDA car filter on my CCT, works great .... On my Jack-Hammer K&N

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
218 Posts
I considered one of those cleanable filters, I think they're trick as hell. I do believe you get increased flow in the engine oil and a teeny little bit more HP from it, and i do believe it cleans the oil better because the surgical steel mesh is all exactly the same size.. dependig on which paper filter you use there is a lot of variation in the micron size of what gets passed through the filter. That being said, I never ended up getting one. I think the paper filters do a good enough job and I don't ride nearly enough to warrant the extra cost. I'm a cheap bastard. Guys spend more than that on a cup holder for their bikes.. or a piece of bling.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
I would prefer one on the tall side of the choices. That -003 Honda Filter is not online.
I did a oil pressure test for K&N and this HONDA filter and there is almost no difference, i found forums with good reviews for this filter ... It is difficult to find or buy stuff here ... Thats why i use this filter, seems to work good , and same quality ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
12,984 Posts
If this K&P Engineering's Reusable Oil Filter was so great why aren't there vehicles and drag racers using it. Just like that E3 more BS for you to spend your money on

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
I did a oil pressure test for K&N and this HONDA filter and there is almost no difference, i found forums with good reviews for this filter ... It is difficult to find or buy stuff here ... Thats why i use this filter, seems to work good , and same quality ...
Do you know if this Honda oil filter is the same one that fits a 2008 Honda CR-V? I have a bunch left over from one I owned. It would be great to use them on the Vic's if they fit.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
My own experience with filters.....You find one or a brand you like and stick with it. As far as these reusable ones go....eh....I have heard both good and bad of them, I do know for a fact that some of them don't hold the same oil pressure as the paper ones do.

I did a comparison myself once on my own Honda Rincon, and that whole machine runs on oil/hydro pressure, like if its cold out and has not warmed up yet the machine wont even move cause the oil is so thick. Once I put one of those stainless steel ones in it, it took half the time for it to warm up cause the oil flowed way faster and not as restricted, that's great if you live in a area where its super cold all the time....but not so much when it gets hotter outside. Once spring and summer came around and that machine started to get used and started to get hot, the engine started to get louder and the fan was always running. Changed to thicker oil, still same thing, went back to a OEM filter and it was back to normal.

I will say on my truck, I switched over to 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 and my oil pressure is way better, and using the Royal purple filter got it even up a little more. I kept my last Delco filter and when it was time to change the Royal purple filter out for another new one, I brought them both in and cut both open, the Royal purple sure seemed to have more junk in it vs the Delco one and it appeared to catch way more stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
Looks like I answered my own question. It's a match for the WIX 51356 so it should work fine. Cool. Save a few bucks and re-purpose them.

All the oil filters that the Wix fits will fit Victory. It's a lot or I would copy and paste them here.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/Wix/51356

Y'all might want to bookmark that reference site. You can cross reference oil, fuel, and air filters there.

·
Premium Member
6,038 Posts
Do you know if this Honda oil filter is the same one that fits a 2008 Honda CR-V? I have a bunch left over from one I owned. It would be great to use them on the Vic's if they fit.
Hi Bbob,

HAMP H1540-PLC-003 (6 U$D)

So I did a oil pressure test before

RedLine 15W40 & K&N (28 U$D) filter = 80/90 PSI

LIQUI MOLY 10W50 & HEMP filter = 80/90 PSI

Ride on brothers

K&N surly made in China, but maybe the HONDA filter made in Japan ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
My own experience with filters.....You find one or a brand you like and stick with it. As far as these reusable ones go....eh....I have heard both good and bad of them, I do know for a fact that some of them don't hold the same oil pressure as the paper ones do.

I did a comparison myself once on my own Honda Rincon, and that whole machine runs on oil/hydro pressure, like if its cold out and has not warmed up yet the machine wont even move cause the oil is so thick. Once I put one of those stainless steel ones in it, it took half the time for it to warm up cause the oil flowed way faster and not as restricted, that's great if you live in a area where its super cold all the time....but not so much when it gets hotter outside. Once spring and summer came around and that machine started to get used and started to get hot, the engine started to get louder and the fan was always running. Changed to thicker oil, still same thing, went back to a OEM filter and it was back to normal.

I will say on my truck, I switched over to 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 and my oil pressure is way better, and using the Royal purple filter got it even up a little more. I kept my last Delco filter and when it was time to change the Royal purple filter out for another new one, I brought them both in and cut both open, the Royal purple sure seemed to have more junk in it vs the Delco one and it appeared to catch way more stuff.
I have often cut open filters when I had my Twin Cam HD to check to see if the chain tensioner were still good.
They can make you a little nervous with how much crud they catch. Thanks for the post on the absolute screen filter. Looks like the oil wasn't slowing down enough to transfer the heat without the stock filters restriction or wasn't getting a good enough stir to transfer the heat. Good to know.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts