Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 CR: I am pretty sure my battery is the stock battery. It's now 7 years old, but charging well. I know people say replace the battery after 4-5 years. So what do people do with their batteries that are still good, even after 7 years?
I am thinking of buying a new battery, but I am tempted to try and get another year out of it. But like I said, it still is charging well. Your thoughts?

Thanks.
John

·
Registered
278 Posts
"If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I still have the original battery in my 2013. I keep it on a Battery Tender brand charger. The only reason I would consider replacing my battery due to age (and no other factor) would be if I were going on a long trip to an area where it would be hard to find a replacement.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts

·
13,262 Posts
like I have said my original battery lasted 8 years. The volt gauge keep jumping around from 14 to 13 to 12 and back to 14. Rode it like that for a week and went and bought a new Yuasa. Gauge never jumped around after new battery.
So take your chances but if you stop for gas and are 50 miles from home or more and battery is dead where you going to get a battery and what kind. Yes auto stores sell bike battery and am sure there pretty good. But now you have to carry the battery back to the bike and hope you have all the tools to put in the new one.
You could pull the headlight wire off so it didn't take all the power and maybe make it home. But why. If you look for a battery check HD shop they use the same battery in the softail I believe and sometimes have a good sale on them

Good Luck

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
Whoopie Ding! This is my 10,000th post!
Consider replacing an older but still good battery like buying insurance. I learned that lesson the hard way when an older battery quit big time on me in nowhere land. That took a lot more out of my wallet than if I had replaced it earlier.
If you order a Duracell AGM on line from Batteries Plus for a store pickup, you'll get a discount. I like the Duracell cuz its US made, has a 2 year 100% replacement guarantee and has dual attachments on each terminal - one on top for the cables and one in front for accessories. Whenever getting a new battery, put it on an automatic trickle charger overnight before installing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your replies. I was dealing with this same issue last year and made it through the season. I am now doing it all over again. I use my bike anywhere from around town to 200-300 mile days.

John

·
Registered
539 Posts
Whoopie Ding! This is my 10,000th post!
Consider replacing an older but still good battery like buying insurance. I learned that lesson the hard way when an older battery quit big time on me in nowhere land. That took a lot more out of my wallet than if I had replaced it earlier.
If you order a Duracell AGM on line from Batteries Plus for a store pickup, you'll get a discount. I like the Duracell cuz its US made, has a 2 year 100% replacement guarantee and has dual attachments on each terminal - one on top for the cables and one in front for accessories. Whenever getting a new battery, put it on an automatic trickle charger overnight before installing.
do you have a link Ricz? prolly won't be able to pick up one in the store, but i'm sure it can be shipped.

·
Registered
12,327 Posts

·
Registered
12,327 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Best to carry light weight jumper cables.
I carry an Antigravity XP-10 with me all of the time. I live in northern WI. and don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere. They sell a starting harness that you attach to the battery and just tuck it away. If your bike doesn't start you just plug in the jumper box and start it. For a bike you don't need the XP-10 a XP-1 or XP-3 will work but I use mine for everything I own.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
This is my advice...
Since that battery will start the bike... right up until the moment when it won't... the question becomes: Where will you be when it won't? If you just go ahead and replace it, at home, you won't have to find out the answer to the question.

Then again, it might start the bike for 2 more years... you know... BEFORE it leaves your ass someplace you don't want to be. LOL

·
Registered
12,327 Posts
I've jumped mine off a car several times. No problem.
I have too and it can done if done judiciously. Only have the car battery connected AT THE TIME you are hitting the starter button.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Then again, it might start the bike for 2 more years... you know... BEFORE it leaves your ass someplace you don't want to be. LOL
Like the middle of nowhere Wisconsin? Most of that state is middle of nowhere when I have been up there. LOL

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
2011 CR: I am pretty sure my battery is the stock battery. ................So what do people do with their batteries that are still good, even after 7 years?

Thanks.
John[/QU

Some years ago I pulled a six or 7 yr old battery out of my HD bagger cause I was doing a lot of traveling then and it's age was making me nervous.

Stuck it in the riding lawn mower for 3 more summers. During those summers I lent to a friend twice when batteries on his bikes were dying and when they finally died.

Finally came the day when the mower wouldn't start and I turned it in as a core for the new pricey high output mower battery. Put the new one in only to find out that the starter had gone out of the mower.:frown

You could replace it and give it to someone who needs a battery for their mower :smile Apparently it prolongs their lives ?
You could take to someone with a load tester and a bunch of experience with it, like a battery refurbisher.
Have them test it and see what they think.
Had my share of batteries that died early too. It's kind of a crap shoot. That one that would not die sort of made up for some of the ones that died an early death.

Battery tenders certainly help a lot though.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
2011 CR: I am pretty sure my battery is the stock battery. It's now 7 years old, but charging well. I know people say replace the battery after 4-5 years. So what do people do with their batteries that are still good, even after 7 years?
I am thinking of buying a new battery, but I am tempted to try and get another year out of it. But like I said, it still is charging well. Your thoughts?

Thanks.
John
Go to a battery sales shop and let them diagnostics your battery, so let's say your battery is rated 80 AmpHours, than this expense diagnostics machine can tell you how much procent of the new Vallue is it worth.....

Easy as pie, free also and it could save you to buy a new one... You can. Judge it for yourself...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I was in the same boat, my XR battery was over 6 years old when I decided to replace it. The bike would have spurts where it took a little longer to start than I liked. I also replaced mine with a Duracell Ultra from batteriesplus but one thing about the Duracell is that it is made in China which I thought was odd for the most expensive battery they had.

·
13,262 Posts
jumping with car battery to bike is fine as long as car is OFF. Never have car running

Reactions: RICZ
1 - 20 of 20 Posts