Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my break-in service done at my local custom shop, the Harley guys there raised an eyebrow at how loud my transmission shifts.

I don't mean they were whizzing on my Victory, in fact they complimented it on it's performance and torque. But they seemed genuinely concerned that "it wasn't supposed to do that." They told me their only other Victory customer (who has an '06), his bike doesn't sound that loud. These are fellas that all ride and rebuild H-D big twins on a daily basis, so it's not like they don't know what a trans sounds like.

I did search this topic before posting, but only came up with one (how is that possible?) similar thread, from 4 years ago. Thought I read that in the last few years Vic improved the transmission?

Oh so anyway, do all your late-model bikes also CLUNK loud enough that other nearby riders hear it through their helmets and ear plugs when you shift?

Thank you. cheers

Edit note: My bike CLUNK!s through most of the gears, not just when first shifting into 1st gear.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My tranny shifts smooth as glass , but it sure does clunk a lot !:crzy:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I never hear my '13 above the shift from second to third. After that wind noises and such mask the sound but it still goes into the next gear with authority. There is never a question of whether or not I got it to shift.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never hear my '13 above the shift from second to third. After that wind noises and such mask the sound but it still goes into the next gear with authority. There is never a question of whether or not I got it to shift.
I'd say mine's the same, 4th to 6th gear any clunking is masked by the usual noise at speed. But first to third? Ah yes, that's what I was mostly referring to...

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
My only complaint about my Vic is the clunk clunk of the tranny.

Ride it like you stole it... Or just stay home.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes & yes

Yes it clunks going into gear and when you shift. The other day I seen a Gunner while I was in my service truck. He road past me and I could hear his bike shift even though I had the window closed and the a/c on in my service truck. So I think they all do it. Amazing the new Indians seem very smooth and quite when they shift. Why did Polaris build the Indian so nice and quite and the Victory so noisey it sounds like somebody hitting it with a hammer when you shift? Ownly the all wise and almighty engineers now....maybe.:(

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes they can be loud. N-1 is the worst. That said, yes they are notchy when shifting, BUT, you can overcome most if not all of it. Learn how to shift the bike. It will reward you. Work with it some.
I have some folks ask what I did to make mine shift as quiet as it does. Miles and learning to shift it make the difference. Several of the previous rides I have owned were much the same.

cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Mine 1st to 3rd , and vice-versa is quite loud , sounds to me like yours is perfectly normal . thumb up

·
Registered
2011 Cross Country w/multiple adaptations
154 Posts
clunk shift

Already is common knowledge, but the construction of the trans is what makes it clunk. Is geared with helical cut actual gears. Big chunks of metal "synchronizing". I've found that while cruising...if you get her up to 3k put a little pressure to up shift before clutching, then shift...the clunk is more of a "snick". Yes, N to 1st while stopped still has authoritative sound.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Two things to know...
1. Vics need 3,000 miles or more before they are finally broken in.
2. Preloading the shifter produces quieter and smoother shifts.

·
13,236 Posts
You go to a harley dealer MalteseFalcn
and ride one of theres you'll find the same clunk. Its from the big shifter drum we have

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you think the Vic's clunk you never had a Honda 929.. Sounded like you were hitting the case with a sledge.. My Tri-Glide going from Neutral to first doesn't clunk 'It bangs..[ouch]
But getting back to Vic's If you upshift at 3 grand + it will just snick into each gear.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
But getting back to Vic's If you upshift at 3 grand + it will just snick into each gear.

And now you know th e Rest of the Story 2800-3200 Shift!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Two things to know...
1. Vics need 3,000 miles or more before they are finally broken in.
2. Preloading the shifter produces quieter and smoother shifts.
Yes pre loading the shifter and they shift very quiet. Almost silent....
Although N to 1st is VERY LOAD.......

Everyone take notice the 111 and the new Scout don't have that stupid compensator in between the crank and the clutch like the Vic's do. There is no reason for it to be there. 99% of the Japanese bikes don't have an intermediate gear between the clutch and the crank. What was Vic thinking? Glad they woke up to the fact......

Vic's clunk because they spin the clutch to fast. When you put the bike in 1st the steel plates in the clutch stop spinning. The faster they are spinning the louder the clunk when they stop.
A smaller pinion gear driving the clutch would cut that clunk in half...

·
Registered
477 Posts
My jackpot clunks and so does my buddies Vegas 8 ball. I can hear his shifts over his exhaust. If they didn't clunk I'd think it was broken.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Same here Jackpot .... The clunk means its working !

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Yes pre loading the shifter and they shift very quiet. Almost silent....
Although N to 1st is VERY LOUD.......
That's cuz when you pull in the clutch, the plates separate, but the oil between them hasn't and continues to rotate the clutch.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts